Need some help/advice?

Old November 6th 10, 09:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
BJ

Default Need some help/advice?

Hi All,

I've got a problem, don't know where to turn. Maybe someone here can
help me out.

Background:
Last December, I was going to take in a orange and white dsh feral
(I named him Harry), but when I was ready to bring him in, he
disappeared. Meanwhile, a small b&w tuxedo dsh took up residence in
my unheated garage (who ended up being named Figraro), and just before
sub-zero weather moved in, I brought the little guy in, and he's
turned out to be a great cat.

A month later, Harry showed up again, and always enjoyed the attention
he got from me, and of course, the food. As a joke, I'd open my back
door and invite Harry in, but he never accepted.

Until a couple of weeks ago. He walked right in and down into my
basement.

I've kept the two cats separated, just in case. Here's the problem.
It turns out that Harry is FeLV positive.

Now I don't know what to do. I don't want to let him back outside,
it's getting cold, and I don't want him infecting other cats. I don't
want to have him put to sleep, he's an otherwise healthy cat. I
can't keep him, the risk to Figaro is too high.

My only hope is to find someone who only wants one cat (maybe someone
who recently lost a cat), or someone who already has a FeLV cat and
will take in another. The vet thinks he's 3-5 years old, neutered,
docile and extremely friendly.

How do I find such a person? Other suggestions welcome. The e-mail
address I'm posting from is a valid address.

Thanks for any responses!

BJ
--
I have nothing important to say...
Old November 7th 10, 01:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

"BJ" wrote in message
news
[...]

If you can keep their food and water separate, his FIV won't spread to your
other cats. We also have an FIV positive cat. We have trained him to eat and
drink out of his own station, which is away from that of the other cats, and
they don't share the same food or water. He has been with us for several
years now, and the other cats are still FIV free. (They also get regular
booster shots)

Old November 7th 10, 05:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gandalf[_2_]

On Sat, 06 Nov 2010 16:33:00 -0500, BJ
wrote:

[...]

You can get Harry immunized against FeLV.

I believe it takes a series of 3 vaccinations, and an annual booster
after that.
Old November 7th 10, 11:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
BJ

On Sat, 6 Nov 2010 18:59:40 -0700, "Bill Graham"
wrote:

"BJ" wrote in message
[...]

Everything I've read is you need to keep water, food and litter box
separate. This would be an impossible task.

Harry has to go. I would rather find him a good home than any other
alternative.

Thanks anyway.

BJ
--
I have nothing important to say...
Old November 7th 10, 12:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
BJ

wrote:

[...]

Harry's the one with FeLV. :-)

I believe it takes a series of 3 vaccinations, and an annual booster
after that.

Again, all the research I've done on this says that immunization
against FeLV isn't a sure thing.

With the way my luck as been running the past couple of years
(I had a little bout with non-Hodgkin lymphoma last year),
I don't want to risk Figaro's health, no matter what the chances
are.

But thank you for your suggestion. I'm still at a loss on what to
do...

BJ
--
I have nothing important to say...
Old November 7th 10, 12:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"BJ" wrote

But thank you for your suggestion. I'm still at a loss on what to
do...

Google for shelters in your area.

Old November 7th 10, 01:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
BJ

On Sun, 7 Nov 2010 07:20:24 -0500, "cshenk" wrote:

"BJ" wrote

But thank you for your suggestion. I'm still at a loss on what to
do...

Google for shelters in your area.

Been there, done that.

No FeLV shelters around, and other shelters are so full they aren't
even accepting healthy cats.

BJ
--
I have nothing important to say...
Old November 7th 10, 11:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Poochy Doos

On Nov 6, 1:33*pm, BJ wrote:
[...]

Hey BJ,

What a predicament! Have you tried your local shelters? A lot of times
they can blow-out special adoption requests for you, plus they have
tons of local contacts. I might also try listing something on your
local craigslist.com. Another resource might by: http://www.felineleukemia.org/.

If you live in a warm climate, is there any chance you could keep
Harry in your garage temporarily? Assuming it is warm enough in the
winter and cool enough in the summer, you might be able to make him
very comfortable while you're conducting your adoption search.

Take Care & Good Luck!
Mary
poochydoos.com

Old November 8th 10, 04:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

wrote:

[...]

Do you have any rescue groups in your area, such as Alley Cats Allied? They
arrange for fosters (although I have to admit that they often do not have
enough available) that are single-cat homes or FeLV only in situations like
this. There are also some no-kill shelters that will accept cats with FeLV,
but they are much harder to find. I fully understand your dilemma. I would
not want to bring an FeLV cat around Holly and Duffy.

MaryL

Hello. I need advice please CHARLOTTE MOORE Cat health & behaviour 11 January 28th 08 06:07 AM
I could use some advice Alison Cat anecdotes 1 August 30th 06 03:13 AM
Need your advice such Cat community 4 February 28th 06 09:29 PM
In need of help/advice trace Cat rescue 2 May 17th 05 02:07 PM
Going outside - advice please Marcia Cat health & behaviour 21 March 29th 05 03:48 PM