Hiccups?

Old March 15th 04, 04:44 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

badwilson wrote:

I always get the hiccups if I stand up after having been sitting down for a
long time. And they last forever. It's not unusual for me to have hiccups
for 30-45 minutes 2-3 times per day. It drives me crazy!!!

This may sound silly, but if they're really annoying, you might try
taking some singing lessons. Hiccups are actually spasms of the
diaphragm, so the "diaphragmatic" breathing that classical singers use
might help to control the spasms. (Which is the theory behind "holding
your breath" as a cure for hiccups.) It usually works for me - and I
used to get rather lengthy bouts of them, too. Just a nice, deep,
"singer's" breath, then hold it (concentrating on keeping the diaphragm
taut) and silently counting for as long as I could hold my breath
usually did the trick.

--
Britta
Check out pictures of Vino at:

Old March 15th 04, 06:44 AM
LOL

"badwilson" wrote in message ...

I've tried many cures, none of them work. I haven't tried the sugar thing,
but would rather have the hiccups than consume sugar.
I do find that one thing that works is to tell someone that I've got the
hiccups. For some reason that makes them go away faster. However, when
Dennis is gone for 6 weeks, I'm on my own much of the time and have no one
to report my hiccups to! Oh well. It's not like that all the time anyway,
I tend to have "phases" of more hiccups that last for a month or two, then
less hiccups for a month or two.

Icky as it is, the sugar thing actually does work for me. I have to
go and brush my teeth immediately, though. ;-)

------
Krista
Who eats plenty of sugar, just not *by itself*
Old March 15th 04, 08:45 PM

"badwilson" wrote:

I do find that one thing that works is to tell someone that I've
got the hiccups. For some reason that makes them go away faster.
However, when Dennis is gone for 6 weeks, I'm on my own much of
the time and have no one to report my hiccups to!

I do something similar to that, and it works when I do it by myself.
What I do is, I demand a hiccup to happen *right now*. C'mon, hiccup,
let's go, let's hear one. I just keep goading myself to produce one,
and it never happens. I figure that I'm giving my hiccups stage fright.

I figured out that what I'm actually doing is *concentrating* on my
hiccups, and for some reason, that makes them go away. If I happen to
lose concentration for some reason, such as being distracted momentarily,
they will often come back. But only if I haven't been concentrating for
a long enough time. The average time needed for them to go away is about
15-20 seconds.

This even worked on someone else once - a friend of mine got hiccups, and
she couldn't get rid of them. So I said to her, "Oh, you have the hiccups,
do you? Then let's hear one!" I kept urging her to hiccup, and she couldn't.
She was cured!

I don't know why focusing completely on the hiccups makes them go away.
But that might be what you're actually doing when you "report" your
hiccups to someone else. Hmm.. I wonder if it would work to report them
to RPCA when you get them? Or, you could just report it to yourself,
mentally, or even out loud. I mean, who's going to think you're weird
for telling yourself, "Britta, I have the hiccups." Vino?

Joyce
Old March 16th 04, 02:38 AM
badwilson

wrote in message
"badwilson" wrote:

[...]

Well, you have a point there. I'll tell Vino. "Vino, I have the hiccups.
They're really bothering me, make them go away!" Vino will go "Mrrrrrp?"
and all will be well in the world ;-)

Old March 16th 04, 02:41 AM
badwilson

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote in
message ...

badwilson wrote:

I always get the hiccups if I stand up after having been sitting down

for a
long time. And they last forever. It's not unusual for me to have

hiccups
for 30-45 minutes 2-3 times per day. It drives me crazy!!!

This may sound silly, but if they're really annoying, you might try
taking some singing lessons. Hiccups are actually spasms of the
diaphragm, so the "diaphragmatic" breathing that classical singers use
might help to control the spasms. (Which is the theory behind "holding
your breath" as a cure for hiccups.) It usually works for me - and I
used to get rather lengthy bouts of them, too. Just a nice, deep,
"singer's" breath, then hold it (concentrating on keeping the diaphragm
taut) and silently counting for as long as I could hold my breath
usually did the trick.

Oh, believe me, you don't want me to take singing lessons. I'm hopeless and
the world would be a worse place with me singing in it. I don't even sing
Happy Birthday because hearing myself sing makes me cringe like nails on a
chalk board. But mind you, I might just scare myself right out of the
hiccups ;-)