The Worst Birthday Ever (Long)

Old July 20th 04, 02:27 AM
Ginger-lyn Summer

Megan,

You do not know me, and you do not know my neighbors or the full
situation.

Let me explain a few things to you.

I felt that my life, and my cats' lives were in danger that night. My
cats' welfare comes first, and I am not going to endanger my life,
either. You see this as weakness; I see it as common sense and
survival. At least I *did* get the one kitten, and I am still working
on how I may be able to get the other one. I have not given up.

I did call my landlord that night. His only suggestions were to call
the police (unfortuately, they were quite careful in their threats,
and it was unclear whether there was anything that would have allowed
them to have been arrested) or to give the one kitten back to calm the
situation. That is what I did (although there was a specific threat
to property later on, and the police *were* called, but again, unless
they actually *do* something, there is nothing the police can do).

It is unreasonable to suggest to the landlord to say cats are no
longer allowed. We have no idea how long the eviction will take, and
to do this would put both myself and my other neighbor with cats in a
bad situation, as these people could easily demand that we get rid of
ours as well. I doubt seriously the deposit idea will work, but I
will discuss that with him and see.

As for your harping on the fact that this is the second time I have
done this, again, you don't seem to have all your facts. In the first
case, the one animal-abusing neighbor heard the kitten, since I had
her stashed in the apartment next door to hers, and knew where she
belonged. After asking the owner for a description, etc., it was
clear that, legally, I had no right to keep the kitten. Further,
there is no evidence that this particular family from across the
street abused any animal. What was clear is that they were
ill-informed and irresponsible, and allowed their cats to roam outside
and did not spay them. These other two kittens are the half-siblings
of the one cat I tried to rescue before, so this is the *same* family
of cats we are talking about here. And because I did not go off on
these people, it appears that they are now keeping their cats indoors,
and they promised to spay their cats after these kittens were born
(since they have moved, I cannot follow up on that, but I sincerely
hope it is true, and I gave them my brochure with information on the
low-cost spay/neuter clinics, so they certainly have the information
now). And they approached me to take the kittens rather than toss
them out on the street. However, the brother unfortunately talked to
the next-door neighbors before bringing the kittens directly to me,
which is why there was a problem in the first place.

So instead of attacking me, Megan, who was at least *trying* to do
something, try attacking the brother for going back on his word, or
being angry at the people who screamed at me for trying to do the
right thing.

Megan, you tend to see the world in black and white terms, and it just
is not that way. Sometimes, as Yowie pointed out, we have to make
difficult choices, and they are not always easy. Your self-righteous
judgmentalism does nothing to further the well-being of these kittens
or any other animals. And by attacking me, you are just as much of a
bully as these animal-abusing neighors. You're an extremist, Megan.
While the world may need some of that, most people are *not*
extremists. Most of us do the best we can, given what resources we
have, personally, financially, or otherwise. Most people don't even
bother to attempt to rescue cats, period. Of those that do, some may
only rescue one or two in their lives and get them into a shelter.
Others, perhaps, will work to find adoptive homes for many rescures.
Some will get them tested and vaccinated before even trying to place
them. In other words, everyone does what they can, to the best of
their abilities, and that is what matters.

To come here to this group and insult and attack myself, Bev, and
pretty much the entire group is unconscionable. I would not be
surprised to find that you are not welcome here.

Ginger-lyn
fed up

Old July 20th 04, 02:52 AM
Yowie

"Ginger-lyn Summer" wrote in message
[...]

*Standing Ovation*

Hugs,

Yowie

Old July 20th 04, 05:08 AM
Sherry

Megan,

You do not know me, and you do not know my neighbors or the full
situation.

Let me explain a few things to you.

((((Ginger-lyn)))

You do not have to explain yourself. We do what we can. And only you understand
fully the circumstances and events leading up to the decision you made. I know
your heart, because I"ve been reading your posts for at least four years. I
fully trust and would stand by the decision you made as the only decision that
you could make given the circumstances. Like Yowie's thoughtful post (which
Yowie's posts always are)....I know how difficult it was for you. I'm sorry you
found yourself in the middle of such a sucky situation.

Sherry

Old July 20th 04, 03:51 PM
polonca12000

Thank you, Sherry!
Have a great day,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Sherry " wrote in message
Happy belated purr-day, Suz! I do hope your problems are solved already.
Both Soncek and I are born in June (I had my birthday on the 24th and

Soncek
on the 28th). I hope you had a great birthday, Cathi.
--
Polonca & Soncek

Happy Belated birthday Polonca & Soncek!

Sherry