Ping Helen S. [OT] Teeth Problems

Old November 30th 05, 02:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Ping Helen S. [OT] Teeth Problems

Helen, how did you make out at the dentist's Monday? Are you feeling
better, has the abscess gone?

I went to the oral surgeon last night (my regular dentist didn't want to do
the root canal because I had weird, branching, curving roots on that tooth.
I ended up getting *TWO* root canals (the adjacent tooth had some
"resorbtion" and needs periodontal work and the periodontist won't do any
work like this without a root canal being done first).

One root canal went fine, but on the tooth with the weird roots, the surgeon
broke off the drill bit inside the root of my tooth. He couldn't get the
broken drill bit back out again, so he just filled the tooth around it and
told me to come back if it abscesses!!!!!!!! He didn't even give me any
pain meds, just told me to take Advil every 6 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And my
portion of the bill was $635.00 (I think he actually charged me for the
broken drill bit)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I have to go to a periodontist and have the resorbtion problem taken
care of, and then I need to get crowns on three teeth (I'd never gotten a
crown on the tooth that had a root canal 3 years ago - the "temporary"
filling is still there!). I don't know where I'm going to get the thousands
of dollars to do all this work, so I'm hoping the temporary fillings he put
in hold out for another couple of years instead of the 3 - 4 weeks he said
they would like the other one did!).

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old November 30th 05, 04:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Yikes, Lori! That's totally unacceptable. How are you managing? How much
pain are you in?

kili

Old November 30th 05, 05:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"kilikini" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Not any actually - or at least not any that isn't being handled by the
Advil. I guess I've developed a high pain threshold since I've been living
with Fibromyalgia and degenerative disk disease for so long.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old November 30th 05, 05:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Helen, how did you make out at the dentist's Monday? Are you feeling
better, has the abscess gone?

Greetings

I still have abscess. It has burst... into my mouth.. I'm on more
antibiotics.
Apparently the fact it is draining into my mouth is a good thing. If it had
burst on the inside of the abscess, it could have gone into the bone of the
jaw which is not, apprently, at all nice. I'm due to have the offending item
removed via intravenvous sedation on 20th December. It currently doesn't
hurt - the draining has released the pressure build-up, but I have the
mother of all sore throats (surprise, surprise..)

Snipped tale of horror..

Methinks the dentist should be examining these thousands of dollars... after
all, *he* broke the drill in your jaw.... Any sort of patient advocate
system you can approach over there? As regards costs for what I'm having
done - the dentists said all the work she is doing on me - no charge! So
I'll have to pay for the anaesthetist doing the IV sedation, but not for the
dental work itself - I've already had an x-ray & various examinations as
well as loads of antibiotics. The current dentist is remarkably humane. I'd
recommend her to you if you were over here!

Cheers, helen s

Old November 30th 05, 06:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"wafflycat" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Helen, how did you make out at the dentist's Monday? Are you feeling
better, has the abscess gone?

Greetings

I still have abscess. It has burst... into my mouth.. I'm on more
antibiotics.

Oh my! That doesn't sound very pleasant - purrs coming that it will clear
up quickly.

Apparently the fact it is draining into my mouth is a good thing. If it

had
burst on the inside of the abscess, it could have gone into the bone of

the
jaw which is not, apprently, at all nice. I'm due to have the offending

item
removed via intravenvous sedation on 20th December. It currently doesn't
hurt - the draining has released the pressure build-up, but I have the
mother of all sore throats (surprise, surprise..)

Snipped tale of horror..

Methinks the dentist should be examining these thousands of dollars...

after
all, *he* broke the drill in your jaw....

No because he won't be doing the other work - that will be either a
periodontist or my regular dentist. But I really thought he should have
given me a discount - which he didn't!

Any sort of patient advocate
system you can approach over there? As regards costs for what I'm having
done - the dentists said all the work she is doing on me - no charge! So
I'll have to pay for the anaesthetist doing the IV sedation, but not for

the
dental work itself - I've already had an x-ray & various examinations as
well as loads of antibiotics. The current dentist is remarkably humane.

I'd
recommend her to you if you were over here!

Actually, it wasn't bad - I was zonked out on nitrous oxide the whole 4
hours (I'm a cheap drunk - never actually having drunk liquor! ;). No pain
afterwards, just the queasy sensation of thinking of that bit of metal
lodged in my root canal!!!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Cheers, helen s

Old November 30th 05, 06:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"CatNipped" wrote in message

snip

One root canal went fine, but on the tooth with the weird roots, the
surgeon
broke off the drill bit inside the root of my tooth. He couldn't get the
broken drill bit back out again, so he just filled the tooth around it and
told me to come back if it abscesses!!!!!!!! He didn't even give me any
pain meds, just told me to take Advil every 6 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And my
portion of the bill was $635.00 (I think he actually charged me for the
broken drill bit)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hang on a minute. A broken drill is left in the root of your tooth and your
dental surgeon fills around it??
I can hardly believe what I am hearing. Is he mad?
He must be registered with some sort of association of dentists like they
are here, get on to them immediately.
The potential for infection must be off the scale and foreign bodies are not
tolerated well in the human body.
I can hardly believe it!!
Don't you say our doctors are no good again g if this is what your
dentists do. Shudder.

Tweed

Old November 30th 05, 07:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message

snip

[...]

No kidding! ;

Actually I've found that it is not that uncommon (though hardly usual,
either) to break the drill during a root canal. The root of the tooth
narrows down to little wider than the width of a hair, so the drill bit is
very fragile. And the end of that particular root was curved on me (that's
why my regular dentist didn't want to do the root canal and sent me to an
oral surgeon instead). He said he had already washed it out with bleach
several times, the drill bit was sterilized, and it was at the very end of
the root less than a millimeter from the end, so that filling in around it
shouldn't (*shouldn't*) give me any problems. I don't think there is any
way that it could get infected unless the temporary filling comes loose
(which means I really will have to see my regular dentist to get a crown
done).

This picture is of a "normal" tooth. The roots on my tooth were curved
around in a 90 degree angle at the bottom:
http://legacy.uwcm.ac.uk/study/denti...ges/Image5.jpg

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old November 30th 05, 07:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I got curious and googled about drill bits being left in teeth during root
canals and got this...

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.m...&start=0&num=3

or

http://tinyurl.com/crtmr

Hugs,

CatNipped

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

snip

Old November 30th 05, 07:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message

snip

[...]

I would still not be happy about it myself, I have read the links. As long
as you are satisfied with the treatment you got, that's okay.

Tweed

Old December 1st 05, 04:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Good grief, Lori! What an ordeal. And he charged you after breaking the
drill bit off *inside* your tooth? And filling in around it? Sounds
unconscionable to me. I'm right there with you in hoping it lasts like the
temp filling did.

Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe