Stress Management [OT]

Old December 6th 04, 02:24 PM
CatNipped

Default Stress Management [OT]

I know this has been around the 'net a lot, but it bears repeating...

A lecturer, when explaining stress management to an audience, raised a glass
of water and asked, "How heavy is this glass of water?" Answers called out
ranged from 20g to 500g. The lecturer replied, "The absolute weight doesn't
matter. It depends on how long you try to hold it. If I hold it for a
minute, that's not a problem. If I hold it for an hour, I'll have an ache in
my right arm. If I hold it for a day, you'll have to call an ambulance. In
each case, it's the same weight, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it
becomes."

He continued, "And that's the way it is with stress management. If we carry
our burdens all the time, sooner or later, as the burden becomes
increasingly heavy, we won't be able to carry on." "As with the glass of
water, you have to put it down for a while and rest before holding it again.
When we're refreshed, we can carry on with the burden. So, before you return
home tonight, put the burden of work down. Don't carry it home. You can pick
it up tomorrow. Whatever burdens you're carrying now, let them down for a
moment if you can. Relax; pick them up later after you've rested. Life is
short. Enjoy it!"

And then he shared some ways of dealing with the burdens of life:

Accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue.

Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.

Always read stuff that will make you look good if you die in the middle of
it.

Drive carefully. It's not only cars that can be recalled by their maker.

If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably
worth it.

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because then you won't
have a leg to stand on.

Nobody cares if you can't dance well. Just get up and dance.

Since it's the early worm that gets eaten by the bird, sleep late.

The second mouse gets the cheese.

When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

Have an awesome day and know that someone has thought about you today... I
did.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old December 6th 04, 03:03 PM
jmcquown

CatNipped wrote:
(snipped great info)

Nobody cares if you can't dance well. Just get up and dance.

Ain't this the truth! I never ever danced in public. I was too
embarrassed. John, being an artist, likes to watch the way people move.
Now, he also loves music. And he would get a just a bit frustrated that,
even in our hotel room when we were listening to a CD, I wouldn't dance with
him. I'd start to move and then freeze up and go sit down. As time went on
I realized it didn't matter, he'd love it (and me) no matter what. So...

when we were in Minneapolis we went to an Irish pub. There was a 3 piece
band playing and it wasn't Irish music! We sat at a table right up front
slightly to the side of the band. When they took a break the guitar player
slid over a song-list and asked me to pick a few requests. I did. But
after hearing them play I'd been looking for one particular song I just
*knew* they had to know. 'Cecelia' by Simon & Garfunkle. I slid him a note
on a napkin asking if they knew it. Oh yes they did!

Now, I'll admit I'd had a "few" (LOL) by that time. So when the drummer,
playing some sort of tall hold-between-the-knees-drum, started the familiar
opening beat I got up. John said, "What are you doing?" I just smiled. I
got up and walked over with the band (egads!) and danced my heart out to
that song. I felt like a fool but John had the biggest smile on his face!
At one point he called to me, "I love it!" and I went over and gave him a
quick kiss, never stopping my dance. Good lord it felt great to cut loose,
and in a pub full of people, the ONLY person dancing! I sat down to a
thunder of applause and John looked... triumphant? Heheh. My god that was
fun!

Of course I'll never see any of those people again so that (and the Black &
Tans) helped

Jill

Old December 6th 04, 03:34 PM
Helen Wheels

jmcquown wrote:

CatNipped wrote:
(snipped great info)

[...]

Good for you!
Now a dumb question, what's a black & tan? Sounds like something
alcoholic, but...
Old December 6th 04, 03:34 PM
CatNipped

"jmcquown" wrote in message
.. .

Of course I'll never see any of those people again so that (and the Black
&
Tans) helped

Jill

That is *EXACTLY* my philosophy! My DH and I are just the opposite from you
and John - I want to dance and act silly, and he is way too reserved. We're
in a club, people are out on the dance floor jerking around in the most
rediculous manner and he's worried about how he'll look dancing (and when
he's home and being playful and dances for me he moves wonderfully well).
Whenever we're anywhere out in public and I start to act silly he cautions
me to "stop that", my answer is, "Why? I'll never see these people again in
my life, they don't know me so they can't write to my mother and tell on me,
they're not my boss so they can't fire me, etc."! Life is *WAY* too short
to curtail you fun because of what strangers may think of you. Anyway, 99
times out of 100 *they're* wishing they could be having as much fun as
you!!!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old December 6th 04, 03:59 PM
jmcquown

Helen Wheels wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

CatNipped wrote:
(snipped great info)

Nobody cares if you can't dance well. Just get up and dance.

Of course I'll never see any of those people again so that (and the
Black & Tans) helped

Jill

Good for you!
Now a dumb question, what's a black & tan? Sounds like something
alcoholic, but...

In this case, it was Guiness Stout topped with Harp's Lager served in a tall
glass. There is an obvious demarkation in the glass due to the colours of
the brew - black on the bottom, tan on the top. Definitely alcoholic!

Jill

Old December 6th 04, 10:07 PM
Takayuki

"CatNipped" wrote:
I know this has been around the 'net a lot, but it bears repeating...

Thanks Lori. These are wonderful tips.

Old December 7th 04, 02:54 AM

jmcquown wrote:
CatNipped wrote:
(snipped great info)

[...]

Does he now call you "Elaine"? :-)

Old December 7th 04, 03:27 AM
jmcquown

jmcquown wrote:
CatNipped wrote:
(snipped great info)

[...]

Just so you know, my sweet, I dance better than jerky Elaine from Seinfeld
Of course, I don't do Clairol hair colour commercials on a bus, either.

Jill