Getting ready for a new aby kitten in Chicago-advice on vets

Old July 29th 03, 03:31 PM

-L. wrote:
Persians and Siamese were the biggest purebred surrenders for us.
Probably because they are also breeds most likely to have problems.
As for dogs, I'd have to say cockers (lots of them) and rotties. And
of course APBTs and Staffies.

Nope, try again. Try because Siamese and Persians are the most popular
breeds therefore there are more of them and you will see more of them in
the surrenders cause they constitute more of the purebred population than
the other breeds.

Same with APBTS, Staffies, and cockers.

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.
Old July 29th 03, 03:34 PM

Sherry wrote:

We get Cockers and Dalmations. Both of tthem people get for their kids, when
they are both too high strung and active for little children. They start
jumping on the kid and knocking them down, and they dump them on us.

I've heard Huskies have the highest return rate (not amount of returns,
but rate meaning amount returned comopared to how many there are). Because
they are destructive if not paid attention to (they don't do well left
alone at all), they tend to escape fences and run and not come back, they
cannot be left off leash, they dig (pictures of my roommate's coworkers'
backyard looks like a moonscape so many holes.. and the dog has chewed up
the walls of the house too), they are high energy and you really need to
do a lot to tire them out (think a dog bred to run and pull stuff all
day).

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|\ _,,,---,,_ Tigress
/,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ http://havoc.gtf.gatech.edu/tigress
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.
Old July 29th 03, 03:34 PM

Sherry wrote:

We get Cockers and Dalmations. Both of tthem people get for their kids, when
they are both too high strung and active for little children. They start
jumping on the kid and knocking them down, and they dump them on us.

I've heard Huskies have the highest return rate (not amount of returns,
but rate meaning amount returned comopared to how many there are). Because
they are destructive if not paid attention to (they don't do well left
alone at all), they tend to escape fences and run and not come back, they
cannot be left off leash, they dig (pictures of my roommate's coworkers'
backyard looks like a moonscape so many holes.. and the dog has chewed up
the walls of the house too), they are high energy and you really need to
do a lot to tire them out (think a dog bred to run and pull stuff all
day).

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|\ _,,,---,,_ Tigress
/,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ http://havoc.gtf.gatech.edu/tigress
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.
Old July 29th 03, 06:43 PM
Arjun Ray

In , wrote:

| Arjun Ray wrote:
|
| "Them? Oh no! They're... special. You're... not."
|
| Or how about they are willing to spend more money than they will make up
| for with the selling of the kittens making sure everything is done right.

Rescuers do this too.

| They are willing to get health tests done on the cat

Rescuers do this too.

| to make sure it's not going to pass down some sort of genetic disease.

Rescuers mostly don't have to worry about that. Moggies are hardy.

| They are willing to go out of their way to breed him to another cat
| that won't pass a genetic disease too and that the two cats will produce
| a litter that will improve the breed.

Improve what breed? Inbreeding is a negative-sum game. Are "failures"
culled? No? Why not?

Funny how "improving the breed" is always used to deflect attention away
from overpopulation.

| They are willing to spend the time to filter out who will be a good
| home vs. a bad home.

Rescuers do this too.

| They are willing to pay all the vet bills including stuff if something
| goes wrong.

Rescuers do this too. Oh, you mean "goes wrong" genetically? Rescuers
mostly don't have to worry about that. Moggies are hardy.

| They aren't trying to breed as much as they can. They realize that just
| cause their cat is cute and lovable doesn't mean it has the qualities
| to be bred.

There are *no* "qualities" making a cat "breedable".

| Unless you are willing to do that, neuter/spay your cat!

Um no. This is not about excuses.

| You are way oversimplifying.

Nope. "They're.. special. You're... not" is the entirety of the
excuses game.

| Should we then just not argue that people shouldn't breed cause some
| people won't listen?

Huh?

Old July 29th 03, 06:43 PM
Arjun Ray

In , wrote:

| Arjun Ray wrote:
|
| "Them? Oh no! They're... special. You're... not."
|
| Or how about they are willing to spend more money than they will make up
| for with the selling of the kittens making sure everything is done right.

Rescuers do this too.

| They are willing to get health tests done on the cat

Rescuers do this too.

| to make sure it's not going to pass down some sort of genetic disease.

Rescuers mostly don't have to worry about that. Moggies are hardy.

| They are willing to go out of their way to breed him to another cat
| that won't pass a genetic disease too and that the two cats will produce
| a litter that will improve the breed.

Improve what breed? Inbreeding is a negative-sum game. Are "failures"
culled? No? Why not?

Funny how "improving the breed" is always used to deflect attention away
from overpopulation.

| They are willing to spend the time to filter out who will be a good
| home vs. a bad home.

Rescuers do this too.

| They are willing to pay all the vet bills including stuff if something
| goes wrong.

Rescuers do this too. Oh, you mean "goes wrong" genetically? Rescuers
mostly don't have to worry about that. Moggies are hardy.

| They aren't trying to breed as much as they can. They realize that just
| cause their cat is cute and lovable doesn't mean it has the qualities
| to be bred.

There are *no* "qualities" making a cat "breedable".

| Unless you are willing to do that, neuter/spay your cat!

Um no. This is not about excuses.

| You are way oversimplifying.

Nope. "They're.. special. You're... not" is the entirety of the
excuses game.

| Should we then just not argue that people shouldn't breed cause some
| people won't listen?

Huh?