Chewing Paws

Old July 16th 06, 09:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,alt.animals.dog,alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Chewing Paws

HOWEDY Rodger,

Rodger Reid wrote:
Can anyone give me some advice.

WELCOME to The Sincerely Incredibly Freakin Insanely Simply
Amazing Grand Puppy, Child, Pussy, Birdy And Horsey Wizards'
100% CONSISTENTLY NEARLY INSTANTLY SUCCESSFUL FREE WWW Wits'
End Dog, Child, Kat And Horse Training Method Manual Forums {); ~ )

I'm Jerry Howe, The Sincerely Incredibly Freakin Insanely Simply
Amazing Grand Puppy, Child, Pussy, Birdy And Horsey Wizard {) ; ~ )

Here's your own FREE COPY of The Sincerely Incredibly Freakin
Insanely Simply Amazing Grand Puppy, Child, Pussy, Birdy And
Horsey Wizards'

The *666* Edition Of Your Own
FREE COPY
Of
The Sincerely Incredibly Freakin Insanely Simply Amazing
GRAND
Puppy, Child, Pussy, Birdy And Horsey Wizards'
100% CONSISTENTLY NEARLY INSTANTLY SUCCESSFUL
FREE WWW
Wits' End Dog, Child, Kat And Horsey Training Method Manual {) ;
~ )

{#}: ~ } 8 { ~ :{@}
{#}: ~ } { ~ :{@}
{#}: ~ } { ~ :{@}
{#}: ~ } http://makeashorterlink.com/?K3AD21A3D { ~ :{@}
{#}: ~ } { ~ :{@}
{#}: ~ } { ~ :{@}
{#}: ~ } 8 { ~ :{@}

My dog constantly chews her paws

That's USUALLY "paw licking dermatitis".

Dogs chew their paws for two reasons:

1. They're SICK

OR

2. They're UNHAPPY.

and sometimes seems like she is in a frenzy when she does it.

Yeah, that's NORMAL for OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDERS.

THAT'S HOWE COME they're CALLED "OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDERS".

Recent research at Purdue has PROVEN that ALL OCD'S are CAUSED BY
MISHANDLING.

It is hard to distract her.

Only on accHOWENT of you don't know HOWE.

I am at this time trying to change her diet

She COULD have a food alergy, HOWEver, she PROBABLY DON'T.

(to lamb and rice) per Petco and see if this works.

You'd be better off researchin and trying an ELIMINATION
diet to see if / what she's alergic to.

As, it could be an allergy.

COULD BE, but then it PROBABLY AIN'T.

What do you think.

It could be an OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDER. If so,
you can CURE IT NEARLY INSTANTLY, and FOR FREE, to
boot, by simply DOIN EVERYTHING EXXXACTLY PRECISELY
OPPOSITE of HOWE you been taught by your ETHICKAL
BREEDER, PROFESIONAL TRAINER and VETERINARY
MALPRACTICIONER {) : ~ )

Merekat

HOWEver, you AIN'T gonna be gettin no doGdameneD advice
from the Gang Of Miserable Stinkin Lyin Animal Murderin
MENTAL CASES you're askin for advice {) : ~ (

From: Paul B )
Subject: dog chewing he paw raw.
Date: 2004-01-01 22:19:01 PST

Both my dogs at some stage have licked a spot somewhere on
their bodies and I have always managed to train them to stop.
In all cases there was nothing wrong that licking would have
helped (Roz has had cut pads, stitches in her belly and skin
irritations, all tempting her to lick), none of their licking
has been due to any allergies. When I see the dog licking more
than normal I look at the spot to see whats there and decide
if a vet appointment is needed or to wait and see, keeping a
close eye.

To stop the licking I distract the dog and give it some friendly
banter, when it starts licking again I repeat, usually after about
4 times the dog stops, for the moment at least, if it starts again
then repeat, before long the dog has no more desire to lick that
spot at all.

Paul

From: Hennie van Dalen Hennie van Dalen
www.chello.nl/~h.vandalen11

The same thing worked with my lab licking/chewing problem too.
He had an itch due to blocked anal glands and started chewing
and licking his tail at the root.

After the glands were squeezed, and the itch was gone he still
wouldn't stop. (because the place he chewed raw was itching)
After some training (roughly the same methode as yours) he
stopped.
--
Hennie van Dalen
www.chello.nl/~h.vandalen11

---------
-- Hennie van Dalen www.chello.nl/~h.vandalen11
http://www.chello.nl/~h.vandalen11/f...oggy-pictures/

My dog (a 1 year old Yellow Lab) was biting his tail
at the root (Vet said his anal gland was blocked, and
was causing an itch).

After squeezing it, he still wouldn't stop biting his
tail. The vet advised a neck-funnel (don't know wat
you US-guy's call those) so he couldn't reach his butt.

I hate those things, i think they will drive a dog nuts.

I tried the wits end method. (difficult to read such a long
textfile if English is not your native language) Luckily this
is without all the "HOWE's" etc.so at least it's readable for
somebody like me.

The minute he started to bite i trew my key's
next to him on the floor, and praised him (he
stopped biting and looked up when he heard
the sound) I did this 7 times,

after that the tailbiting completely stopped.
Just give the wits end method a try.

One of the possible downloadlocations
is http://www.doggydoright.com/id3.html

Hennie van Dalen
www.chello.nl/~h.vandalen11

From: Paul B )
Subject: Can packleader influence rank?
Date: 2002-02-25 00:51:48 PST

I use sound to distract the dog and praise it
immediately. The reason for the immediate
praise is that as soon as the dog is distracted
it's no longer thinking of the inappropriate
behaviour so the praise reinforces the "not
doing" the unwanted behaviour.

I use various sound sources, a soda can
with stones in it, car keys, Click my fingers,
etc. Varying the direction of the sound each
time is important too, otherwise the dog may
begin to anticipate the sound and it will lose
it's effect, if the noise direction is random the
dog won't get too familiar with it and it will
remain an effective distraction.

Remember too that we aren't trying to scare the
bejesus outta the dog, simply breaking it's train
of thought while it's thinking of the unwanted
behaviour.

Sometimes you won't even see a reaction but the dog
will have been distracted fleetingly. (Recently one
of my dogs started habitually licking my feet while
I was watching TV, I clicked my fingers on her left
side and told her "good girl" even though she only
paused her licking briefly, next I clicked over her
right side and praised, by about the 4th repeat she
suddenly stopped, I repeated this over a few nights
and now she doesn't lick any more, on the few occasions
she absent mindedly licks now all I do is click and
praise and she immediately stops).

Timing is important too, learn to anticipate when
the dog isthinking about doing the "dirty deed"
and distract and praise then, with any luck the
dog will try again almost immediately so distract
and praise again, if the timing is correct after
about the 4th rep the dog will stop.

I could go on but this post is long enough already,
remember too that the dog isn't being a "bad dog",
it's behaviour is simply inappropriate for the
circumstances.

Happy training, :-)

Paul

HELP! Chewing and breathing problems pompless Cat health & behaviour 19 June 26th 13 10:58 PM
Hapurry Paw's Day Tanada Cat anecdotes 0 June 18th 06 08:12 PM
Tonkinese - chewing on himself - long Jennifer H via CatKB.com Cat health & behaviour 4 September 19th 05 05:14 PM
Kitty clawing/scratching lap with back paws [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 6 July 26th 05 08:53 AM
Hands and untouchable paws jmcquown Cat anecdotes 13 December 2nd 04 07:24 PM