Will fish oil help with hairballs?

Old May 30th 08, 04:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
James Egan

Default Will fish oil help with hairballs?

I've been giving petromalt to my one cat that was vomiting several days a
week. Along with more brushing, the problem has subsided considerably.
I'd like to give them an oil they would like, and I think they would like
fish oil. Is it safe to give them fish oil several times a week in their
wet food? Also, would olive oil have the same benefit of lubricating
their insides and helping them pass hairballs? I've read that mineral oil
(like in the petromalt) works, but there can be issues with the cat
inhaling the fumes. I've also read that cod liver oil is too high in
vitamin A.

-Thanks

Old May 30th 08, 09:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
tension_on_the_wire

On May 29, 8:07*pm, James Egan wrote:
I've been giving petromalt to my one cat that was vomiting several days a
week. *Along with more brushing, the problem has subsided considerably.
I'd like to give them an oil they would like, and I think they would like
fish oil. *Is it safe to give them fish oil several times a week in their
wet food? *Also, would olive oil have the same benefit of lubricating
their insides and helping them pass hairballs? *I've read that mineral oil
(like in the petromalt) works, but there can be issues with the cat
inhaling the fumes. *I've also read that cod liver oil is too high in
vitamin A.

-Thanks

Cats generally love the taste of petromalt...of all the options you
listed, that's the one I would guess they would prefer. Fish oil is
not really thick enough for lubrication anyway and they would have to
drink a deal of it to get any effect in comparison to that little blob
of petromalt. And not all cats like the taste of fish oil anyway...it
does not taste like fish. It tastes like stale fish, which is what it
is.

--tension
Old May 30th 08, 04:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

Fish oil certainly would not harm your cats, as it contains many
omega-3s, but I doubt it would do much for hairballs. Petromalt is
primarily petroleum jelly, so you could use that (though they probably
would like the taste). Unfortunately, I do not know about olive oil.

I've noticed a great reduction in hairballs since I've switched to wet
food, BTW. You might try that.

Cats carrying small to large fish challenge video! Do you think your cat can carry 4lbs of fish in it's teeth??? The Cat Whisperer Cat health & behaviour 2 August 8th 06 01:42 AM
Hairballs tEX eINSTEIN Cat anecdotes 1 July 28th 05 01:15 AM
Hairballs tEX eINSTEIN Cat rescue 0 July 28th 05 12:26 AM
Help for hairballs FatBobRoundPants Cat health & behaviour 3 June 29th 05 10:59 PM
Cat-Boy and Hairballs Marek Williams Cat health & behaviour 16 March 7th 04 07:34 AM