Home euthanasia

Old May 30th 04, 06:30 AM
Nightstar

Default Home euthanasia

I don't even want to think about this but know I must prepare for the
inevitable with my beloved cat, Pop.

I think I can find a vet to do home euthanasia but wanted to know what
happens with the body? Does the vet take it?

I know it is probably the most difficult and sad decision one has to
make no matter whether it is done in a vet's office or at home. But,
I wonder if it is worse to do it at home because the last memory and
vision of the cat is his lifeless body in the place where we had such
a wonderful life together.

When my dog was euthanized I took him to the vet's office. It was so
difficult and I didn't want to stay in the room during the procedure
because I didn't want to see him dead. I didn't want that to be the
way I remembered him.

When I read what I just wrote it sounds selfish. Believe me I am far
from being selfish. I have only had Pop for one short and wonderful
year. He came into my life with a huge "tumor" in his abdomen. The
previous owners didn't want to spend money on "just a cat". Long
story short, it wasn't a tumor but a kidney that had stopped
functioning and had filled with fluid. That kidney weighed close to
three pounds! Pop bounced back from surgery quickly, amazingly so,
and has been healthy and happy for the past year. He just recently
was diagnosed with a bladder tumor that is most likely transitional
cell carcinoma. He also is in the beginning stage of CRF. He is on
meds and sub-q fluids and is doing okay right now.

I can't tell you how much I love this cat. Pop and I have a deep bond.

On a side note, the first time I took him to the vet, when it was our
turn they called his name and my last name. "Pop Marino". Well, that
just stunned me for a moment because that was my (deceased)
grandfather's name. Everyone, his kids, grandkids, friends, called
him Pop Marino. Could it be? I think it could be him. No matter, he
is truly loved.

I have been blessed with a beautiful, loving cat and he is a joy in my
life that I can't imagine living without.
Old May 30th 04, 06:48 AM
MaryL

"Nightstar" wrote in message
om...
[...]

There are a lot of advantages to having euthanasia done in your own home.
However -- whether done at home or at the vet's -- please reconsider the
decision you made when your dog was euthanized. That is, please *stay with
Pop* during the procedure. I have done this with each of my cats. It was a
very difficult and painful experience, but I consider that to have been my
last gift of love to my beloved companions. That is your only assurance
that that Pop will be soothed and petted during his last moments and that he
will not be frightened and left alone with strangers. Believe me, that is
*not* what you will remember about Pop. As time goes by, you will be able
to think more and more about all the good times you had with him -- and you
will be grateful that you did not abandon him in his last moments of need.

I understand what you are going through. A decision to have your wonderful
pet euthanized is one of the most painful and searing experiences we face.
In return, our pets give us trust and love and companionship.

MaryL

Old May 30th 04, 09:30 AM
Hailey

I am so sorry, Nightstar. It is a very difficult thing to face. We had to
have our kitty put down, she was 17 1/2, a few years back.
We had to stay in the room with her, could not let her face that alone (I
still cry when I talk about her, our beloved Echo)
After she was gone (which was incredibly peaceful for her) the vet gave us
the info for burying her. Of course they could keep her, but we opted to
have her buried in the pet cemetary. It was not expensive ($100) and we
gladly had our precious girl laid to rest there.

Purrs and scritches to you and Pop.
Hailey

om...

Old May 30th 04, 09:32 AM
billn

"Nightstar" -------------

[...]

What Mary L. said goes for me too, even more than doubly so. I've been
through euthanising process 5 times now in my nearly half century age. My
first was about 28 years ago.

I can tell you I remember each and every minute of the procedure of every
one. I can also say it gets harder every time.

I don't know if I can do it again. I can tell you in all honesty I'd rather
die than my beautiful kitties. But yes, if I have to I will. When it comes
right down to it I'm their caregiver. I'm responsible for each and
everything that happens to them. And when the time comes it's my duty to be
there.

But though I remember each time, I really don't dwell on it. When I think
of my pets that have gone over the RB, I really tend to think of them when
they were alive and the fun we had. The beautiful times.

I can tell from your post that you're a good person, a very special person
who has taken in a kitty desperate for what you could give him and you gave
it to him. You allowed and are presently allowing hime a beautiful,
fullfilling life. When his time comes, it comes. There's nothing you will
be able to do about it. I fervently hope and pray that it won't come for a
long, long time, but when it does come...

So if it does come to that sometimes down the road, hold his paw, stroke his
head, reassure him that you love him, and let him go.

He deserves the _best_ in life and so do you, but everything comes to an
end, unfortunately.

I wish you well in his care and _so_ wish that everyone was like you. I
think you understand.

Regards,
--
bill n

Old May 30th 04, 02:57 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"Nightstar" wrote in message
om...
I don't even want to think about this but know I must prepare for the
inevitable with my beloved cat, Pop.

I think I can find a vet to do home euthanasia but wanted to know what
happens with the body? Does the vet take it?

I imagine that you'd have the same options as you would if it were done at
the office: you can keep it for burial, or the vet can take it if you've
opted for cremation. If you want the ashes back, the office will call you
when the ashes are ready. The only way to find out what your vet's
prcodedures are is to call & ask. Not a weird question.

I know it is probably the most difficult and sad decision one has to
make no matter whether it is done in a vet's office or at home. But,
I wonder if it is worse to do it at home because the last memory and
vision of the cat is his lifeless body in the place where we had such
a wonderful life together.

I hadn't really thought of that aspect. I haven't had either of my deceased
cats euthanized at home, but I wish I could've. My parents have had most of
their pets' euthanasias done at home & prefer it that way.

When my dog was euthanized I took him to the vet's office. It was so
difficult and I didn't want to stay in the room during the procedure
because I didn't want to see him dead. I didn't want that to be the
way I remembered him.

I stayed w/ my cats when each was euthanized. It wasn't nearly as traumatic
as I'd supposed: the time leading up to the deaths was much worse, IMO.

Good luck w/ Pop - I hope he does well for a good time yet. In the
meantime, you have time to figure out how you want to handle the euthansia:
ask your vet about the options - they get these questions routinely.

Cathy

Old May 30th 04, 04:32 PM
Mary

"Nightstar" wrote in message
om...

I think I can find a vet to do home euthanasia but wanted to know what
happens with the body? Does the vet take it?

It depends on your wishes. I allowed them to take my cat because it would
have been too wrenching for me to deal with--and in my book, "she" was gone
so it didn't really matter about the thing that had contained her.

I wonder if it is worse to do it at home because the last memory and

vision of the cat is his lifeless body in the place where we had such a
wonderful life together.

I had the vet come to my home so that my cat's last memory would not be
fear--she hated the vet's. It comforted me and her for me to be close to her
when she died. She was not afraid and she died peacefully. My memories of
her are sweet.

When my dog was euthanized I took him to the vet's office. It was so
difficult and I didn't want to stay in the room during the procedure
because I didn't want to see him dead. I didn't want that to be the
way I remembered him.

I have heard vets say that it is harder for dogs--I don't know what that
means--but one vet suggested that my friend not witness her lab's
euthanasia.

When I read what I just wrote it sounds selfish. Believe me I am far
from being selfish.

I wouldn't judge you. This is a very personal thing. You have been so kind
to this cat, I trust you to do the kindest thing now and to know what that
is. My heart goes out to you. It is a hard and terrible thing.

---