OMG! OMG! OMG! Archer Broke His Leg!!!

Old September 27th 07, 07:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
GaDragonfly

Default OMG! OMG! OMG! Archer Broke His Leg!!!

Oh my, Lori! Purrs and gentle headbutts for Archer, you and Ben and
your family.
Julie, Hobbes, Lacey, Sam and Barnabus

Old September 27th 07, 07:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Baha via CatKB.com

CatNipped wrote:
Archer was in the garage using the litter box and I didn't know he was
there. I was on my way out to the pharmacy to fill a prescription and hit
the "door open" button to open the garage door. The noise scared Archer so
bad he shot out of the garage at light speed. He must have hit his left
rear leg on the door sill. Ben said he got to the first landing on the
stairs and collapsed.

Aiyiyi!!! Boatloads of purrs for Archer, and you and your family and your
niece to all pull through.

Blessed be,
Baha

Old September 27th 07, 09:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn

CatNipped wrote:
Archer was in the garage using the litter box and I didn't know he was
there. I was on my way out to the pharmacy to fill a prescription and hit
the "door open" button to open the garage door. The noise scared Archer so
bad he shot out of the garage at light speed. He must have hit his left
rear leg on the door sill. Ben said he got to the first landing on the
stairs and collapsed.

It was 6:30 and our vet stays open until 7:00, *however* they turn off their
phones at 6:30. We put Archer in his Sherpa bag and I sped to the vet's
office. We got there at 6:45, but the vet was already in emergency surgery
so they told us we had to go to the emergency vet. We piled back in the
truck and drove umpteen miles to the emergency vet.

The emergency vet gave him morphine and took x-rays and found that is tibia
was broken, but wasn't displaced so he won't have to have bone surgery.
They splinted the leg and sent him home with muscle relaxers, pain pills and
a copy of the x-rays to bring to our regular vet on Saturday. We have to
keep him confined in a place where he can't jump up on anything or the
simple break could turn into a compound fracture. While I was waiting at
the vet for them to get done, Ben drove to PetsMart and bought a very large
dog cage that we can put litterbox, food, and a bed in for when we're at
work.

Here's poor Archer in his cast:
http://www.possibleplaces.com/CatNipped/Broken/ - I'll take more pictures
once we've assembled the cage.

What a depressing night this was because while we were there a man, his
wife, and their two children brought in a poodle that was hit by a car, a
man and his pregnant wife brought in a dog that was fatally shot (it was a
pit bull that kept escaping so a neighbor shot it), and a man and his wife
brought in a cat that was hit by a car - after all that we felt lucky that
Archer wasn't hurt worse than he is.

But on another note, while we were waiting I decided to call my mom and it
went something like this...

Me: "How's everybody doing?"

Mom: "Fine, Annie (my sister-in-law) had her first chemotherapy."

Me: "WHAT??!!!"

Mom: "Oh, didn't I tell you she had breast cancer?"

Me: "Um, NO!!!"

Mom: "Yeah, she has stage three cancer that spread to her lymph nodes and
they're giving her 'red hot' chemotherapy (my mom didn't know what it's
really called, just that it's so strong it makes your hair fall out after
just one treatment and turns your urine red). And Tanya (my niece) is
worse - her depression is so bad now that she had to quit work."

Me: "WHAT???!!!"

Mom: "Oh, didn't I tell you that she went into a deep depression after
Katrina?"

And so the conversation went!

Gads, what a really, really depressing night this has been!!! :

Hugs,

CatNipped

OH, {{{{{CatNipped}}}}}

Sounds like you're having one helluva time :-(

Purrs for you, your sister, your niece and for poor Archer.

Ginger-lyn

--
Home Pages:
http://www.spiritrealm.com/summer/
Old September 27th 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

CatNipped wrote:

wrote in message

he
really looks like he doesn't quite know what hit him in those pictures.

Well, to be honest, when I took those pictures he was still zonked out on
morphine!

I realized that after I posted the above. It's the dilated eyes that
give him away.

Archer puts his leg completely behind his head to get it out of his
way - he looks like a contortionist!

It's his rear leg, though - wasn't it *always* behind his head?
(Told you I lacked visual imagination! You have to get a picture of him
doing this contortionist thing so I can see what it looks like!)

JOyce
Old September 27th 07, 09:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

CatNipped wrote:

D*mn! I guess he's still stoned from the morphine. He fell into his water
dish, got himself *and* his cast wet, then stumbled into his litter box and
got covered in litter!!! We managed to get everything dried off (I *hoping*
the cast didn't soak through). *SIGH* It's going to be a long,
loooooooooooooooooooooong 8 weeks! :

It'll get better. He'll adjust to having the cast on and will learn how
to navigate around with it. Plus, he won't always be stoned out of his
gourd.

Joyce
Old September 27th 07, 10:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

I'm sorry to hear this and we are sending bone-healing purrs for Archer.

You seem to be getting yourself into the same situation as I did several
times when I had a lot of dogs i.e. "why don't I just arrange for my salary
to be paid directly into the vet's bank account instead of mine?"

That's why I don't adopt a couple more cats. I have room enough for them,
an ideal indoor/outdoor lifestyle in safety and lots of hunting. I could
afford to feed them, but the vet's bills can be crippling.
If Boyfie had an illness/accident at the same time as KFC, I have enough
money put away to afford it. I could not do it for more than 2.
Purrs for your pocketbook coming up too.

Tweed

Old September 28th 07, 02:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Enfilade

Nocturne would like to congratulate Archer on inventing a NEW kind of
badness even SHE hadn't thought of yet, namely, breaking bones to make
parents freak out!

Last month Dylan rode his bicycle into a concrete post and broke his
collarbone and tore a tendon on his opposite hand, so he had one arm
in a sling and the other in a cast. I myself have had quite enough of
broken bones thank you. (You're in for good times trying to keep
Archer still!)

And poor Ozzy, he can't rassle his brother now!

(But OMG what a handsome boy Archer is. he's going to grow up into a
heartbreaker. Tyche wants some

--Fil

I thought the cage would do the trick, but guess what - he's climbing up the
side of the cage to a spot higher than the window sill (which the vet said
he can't jump from)!!! This is going to be a loooooooong 8 weeks! :

Old September 28th 07, 03:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped

"Enfilade" wrote in message
oups.com...

Nocturne would like to congratulate Archer on inventing a NEW kind of
badness even SHE hadn't thought of yet, namely, breaking bones to make
parents freak out!

LOL! Not only that, but climbing up the side of his kennel with a broken
leg!!!

Last month Dylan rode his bicycle into a concrete post and broke his
collarbone and tore a tendon on his opposite hand, so he had one arm
in a sling and the other in a cast. I myself have had quite enough of
broken bones thank you. (You're in for good times trying to keep
Archer still!)

And poor Ozzy, he can't rassle his brother now!

That hasn't stopped him - as soon as Archer is let out of the kennel they go
at each other (which is why Archer has been in the kennel even when we're in
the room!

(But OMG what a handsome boy Archer is. he's going to grow up into a
heartbreaker. Tyche wants some

Yep, pictures can't do justice to their deep orange eyes either - they're
ready to flirt, but anything beyond that is probably asking too much (I told
DH last night, speaking about Archer, who is not the sharpest tool in the
shed, "He has more b*lls than brains, and we know how much b*lls he has!").
;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old September 28th 07, 04:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen AKA Kajikit

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 21:29:58 -0500, "CatNipped"
wrote:

Archer was in the garage using the litter box and I didn't know he was
there. I was on my way out to the pharmacy to fill a prescription and hit
the "door open" button to open the garage door. The noise scared Archer so
bad he shot out of the garage at light speed. He must have hit his left
rear leg on the door sill. Ben said he got to the first landing on the
stairs and collapsed.

Here's poor Archer in his cast:
http://www.possibleplaces.com/CatNipped/Broken/ - I'll take more pictures
once we've assembled the cage.

Poor Archer! But I'm sure he'll heal up just fine - kittens are tough
critters. By the time his leg's healed up he'll probably be hopping
around without even noticing he's got a cast on his leg!

Many purrayers of comfort to you and Archer...
Old September 28th 07, 05:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf

wrote:

Archer was in the garage using the litter box and I didn't know he was
there. I was on my way out to the pharmacy to fill a prescription and hit
the "door open" button to open the garage door. The noise scared Archer so
bad he shot out of the garage at light speed. He must have hit his left
rear leg on the door sill. Ben said he got to the first landing on the
stairs and collapsed.

Here's poor Archer in his cast:
http://www.possibleplaces.com/CatNipped/Broken/ - I'll take more pictures
once we've assembled the cage.

I tend to think of kittens as being almost indestructible (except when
it comes to cars..)

They seem to be able to get in the worst situations and survive with
only their dignity being hurt.

I do hope Archer heals up quickly and thoroughly.

I feel sorry for Archer being in 'lock up' while you are gone, but of
course it needs to be done.

Purrs on the way for Archer and you!

- Robert Heinlein

Life is very difficult. Once you understand that, life becomes easier.
-Buddha