Nocturnal howler.

Old October 9th 03, 07:33 PM
Sue

Default Nocturnal howler.

I've been lurking here for several months. I'm hoping you have some
suggestions for my nocturnal howler. He's a great animal. He's a
neutered male about 2 years old (neutered at an early age) loving,
playful, affectionate etc. no litter box issues either. He is an indoor
only cat. But he yells all night long and I am at the end of my rope.

I adopted him as a stray cat in February. Since he was microchipped, I
found his owner after he showed up at my door, and I know a little bit
about his story. Poor Spike (I wanted a tough dog name for such a
loving cat). He has had a tough life. He was adopted out of our local
shelter at about 4 months of age, by a woman who had 4 kids and 3 other
cats. I don't know if any of the other cats were litter mates or not.

She had to move from her apartment and gave him away to a neighbor. He
got lost from the neighbors house and returned to the original owner,
because of his microchip.The priganl owner didn't have the contact info
for the new owner so she kept him. She was living with her sister,
about 2 blocks from my house. The sister also had a number of
animals, and Spike was just put outside with the rest of the cats. He
was previously an indoor only cat so he wandered off to my house,
wormed his way in and now is a part of the family. He's been in our
house for 8 months now.

At first he was an utter angel. slept on the foot of the bed all night
through. But about 2 months after we got him, he started chirping at 5
am. sometimes he wailed a bit. Thinking he was stressed (he's an
anxious little cat) I bought feliway plug in and feliway spray. We also
started ignoring him completely when he yelled and the behaviour
improved after about 6 days. Unfortunately we had a 3 week vacation
scheduled around that time that had been planned since before we had
the cat.

We had 2 friends come a live at our place to look after him, but he
kept them awake all night. Now that we are back he's still at it. it
has been a couple of months. Typically he vocalizes quite a bit during
the day, but it is the night time that is problematic. He is up in the
windowns "on patrol" most of the day and night. He will start chirping
which escalates to full on howling 3 -4 times a night. We we have
tried isolating him in another room (yells constantly instead of just
intermittently, ad is really upset at being kept from the people),
keeping him awake all day, (didn't work and no longer practical since
we are both back at work now), yelling no! when he vocalizes, squirting
him with water when he vocalizes etc and ignoring him. no sucess.

He's been to the vet, was checked for urinary problems, and he doesn't
have any, she doesn't think he could be hyperthyroid since he's less
than 2 years of age. She suggested a short course of Paxil just to
break the behaviour, so we tried 2.5 mg, which sedated him for 24 hours
and greatly depressed his appetite. (I know you guys don't like drugs,
but I haven't slept in a month and I'm going out of my mind). We have
gone to 1.25 mg of Paxil on alternate days, which has not yet worked
but it is too early to tell and we may need to increase the dose.

So what to do? Any of you have any addition suggestions? I'm a lifetime
cat owner, but I'm running out of thoughts.
I could get him a friend, I think he misses the other cats from his old
house, since when ever he sees the neigbour cat he gets very excited. I
could let him out during the day, but I really don't want to do that.

So? any ideas?

Sorry this is so long and thanks so much in advance

Sue
Old October 9th 03, 07:54 PM

Sue wrote:
I could get him a friend, I think he
misses the other cats from his old house,
since when ever he sees the neigbour cat
he gets very excited.

Yes! This is the best solution. Since he is a young active male your
best bet is to get another male about the same age or younger with a
similar temperament. All my boy cats have buddied up with other boys and
while some of my females and males are sweet together, the girls
generally don't like the roughhousing that the boys do. If you choose a
buddy for him carefully with these things in mind, you and your cat will
be happier for it! :-)

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old October 10th 03, 03:05 PM
Elaine Rene

"Sue" a écrit dans le message de news:
[...]

In humans, Paxil only show effect after several weeks of consuming, wich
make me wonder about that "short course" you said. I don't understand this
jumping one dose to another before even seeing the effects (other than the
side effects, wich are also *effects* of the drug, lets not forget)
Doctors say its soft and not too toxic, but take it yourself for 6 months
and then try to go off it (even slowly) and you will see just how much it
perturbated your system!! I wouldn't give a pet this junk.

Do you entertain your cat alot in the daytime having a cat tree and
playstuff and do you have an outdoor enclosure? I can tell you that cats
can be awake and active for a good 6 hours a day. Another cat may be great
but you'd want to ask the previous owner (the sister) just how social he was
with the other cats to help you get an idea first.

Cats like to hunt in the early hours, and yours probably suffers from
boredom. That comes with the "indoor" territory and you obviously have to
find methods of adjustment. Giving paxil is saying "shut up and let me
sleep", wich might solve your problem, but not his.

Elaine.

--
My cats:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid906206

Old October 10th 03, 05:09 PM
Sue

In article ,
dgk wrote:

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 13:54:33 -0500 (CDT), wrote:

Sue wrote:
I could get him a friend, I think he
misses the other cats from his old house,
since when ever he sees the neigbour cat
he gets very excited.

Yes! This is the best solution. Since he is a young active male your
best bet is to get another male about the same age or younger with a
similar temperament. All my boy cats have buddied up with other boys and
while some of my females and males are sweet together, the girls
generally don't like the roughhousing that the boys do. If you choose a
buddy for him carefully with these things in mind, you and your cat will
be happier for it! :-)

Megan

Yep, that's the answer. Get him a buddy. Lots more in the shelters.

That is what I have been thinking too.

Gender? Age? Megan suggested a male but I had a neutered male who was a
sprayer, (this was before the days of feliway), so I'm concerned about
getting a male. I haven't ruled it out though.

I've always had female cats before mr. ****er (and now Spike) and no
problems, (my last one was with me for 17 years), so I was thinking
about getting a young palyful female maybe about a year old to keep him
company. I don't have a great need to adopt a kitten, when young adult
cats are so much harder to get adopted out of the shelters. But would a
younger animal ie a kitten be better for integrating with him? Spike
isn't a very dominant animal, so I want to make sure I don't get soemone
who is going to either beat him up or ignore him.

Old October 10th 03, 06:19 PM
MaryL

"Sue" wrote in message
Gender? Age? Megan suggested a male but I had a neutered male who was a
sprayer, (this was before the days of feliway), so I'm concerned about
getting a male. I haven't ruled it out though.

Was he a sprayer before he was neutered? If so, that is probably the
answer. It is possible for a neutered male to begin spraying afterwards,
but it is much less common.

I have a neutered male and spayed female right now, and they are great.
However, I would bow to Megan's advice if I were setting out to deliberately
select a cat as a companion for another cat -- she has years of experience
with large numbers of cats. I have "picked her brain" on a number of
occasions when I had questions, and her advice has always been excellent.

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)