I need a burglar-proof trash bucket

Old October 12th 04, 06:24 PM
Singh

Default I need a burglar-proof trash bucket

I've tried everything: the tall kitchen trashes with the flappy tops,
the ones with tops you just pull off, the onesd you step on a lever to
open. And what happens? The cats get into every last one so badly that
some days you think you have to call and make a police report, the
kitchen is in such shape.

Louie has gotten so desperate he has taken to using small plastic
grocery bags and hanging the things from a peg in the wall to keep our
little cat-burglars out of the food pouches and ham wrappers. And then
we had a visit from a friend who came up from Florida, who waxed
sarcastic: "My stars!!! Is it...ART?! Abstract Expressionism? De Stijl?
De Trasche?"

Please!!! any suggestions? has anyone ever successfully kept cats out of
De Trasche? Your advice is welcome. If you can't come up with a trashcan
suggestion, any ways to pretty up the artwork hanging from a peg will
work too! :-)

Blessed be,
Baha

Old October 12th 04, 06:31 PM
Denise VanDyke

Singh wrote:
[...]

I use the ones with the sliding hatch type lid. Not sure how else to
describe it. However, I had to go one step farther. Brenna can open
the lid. But not if that side is facing the wall! (At least so far...)
I have to be more careful about dumping table scraps or anything else
that could be messy, but that's a small price to pay for keeping Herself
out of the trash.

- Denise

Old October 12th 04, 07:04 PM
Cathi

In message , Singh
writes
[...]

Are your little cat-burglars the diabetic kitties perchance? Jasper's
just like that now - a prize scrounger, and not above eating anything.
And I mean anything ....

Being good environmentally friendly types, we keep a separate bin in the
kitchen for compostable scraps - veg peelings, teabags, that sort of
thing. When it's full, it gets emptied, and then left outside for a few
days to air.

I found one freshly-emptied bin tipped over on its side, rather than
standing on its base, and the slurpage from the bottom dribbling out
onto the hard standing, where Jasper was sniffing it with some interest!
--

Cathi

Old October 12th 04, 08:22 PM
Nan

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 13:24:51 -0400, Singh
wrote:

[...]

I got a round stainless steel can with an insert and a step-on lid at
Wal-Mart. They had 2 sizes, one is just the right size for the
bathroom or bedroom and the other is larger. So far none of the cats
have been able to open it. I figure that if they learn to step on the
pedal and learn to open it I can always disconnect the pedal.
--

Nan and the furkids

A wise man talks because he has something to say;
a fool talks because he has to say something.

Old October 12th 04, 09:14 PM
Christina Websell

"Singh" wrote in message
[...]

I haven't had trouble with the cats and bins, but big trouble with the bins
(and fridge too) with my late dogs.
It depends on the design of your bin, and what material it's made of. On a
flip top plastic bin, a hole can be drilled in the edge of the top, and
corresponding side and a small wire can be twisted in to lock it. Same with
a lever plastic bin. For a metal lever bin, put something heavy on top of
the lid.
For a metal swing top bin, try pulling a bin liner (do you have them?
garbage can plastic liner??) over the top and down the sides when you are
out, Like a sack covering it from top nearly to bottom.
Try these first. I have more ;-)

Tweed