Archer Update

Old September 28th 07, 10:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Default Archer Update

Dr. French called a little while ago. He said the break looked "stable" and
the cast looked fine. He also said the fecal he did looked fine, but he's
going to give me some medicine for giardia for both Archer and Ozzy since
they were both having loose stools (even before Archer started taking the
pain medication) and they've probably been reinfecting themselves - I guess
he didn't check specifically for giardia, just for coccidia).

He said to bring Archer back in in 2 to 3 weeks for another check-up and
that he could probably get the cast off in 6 weeks.

I'm just really not looking forward to having to keep him in that kennel for
that long a time - he looks so sad and lonely in there even when his bro-fur
sits right next to him!

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See all my masters he http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Old September 28th 07, 11:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

I feel for all three of you. I hope his healing continues on schedule.
It's possible that after that next checkup the doctor will say you can let
him out, at least part time.

Joy

Old September 29th 07, 01:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Joy wrote:

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

I was thinking the same thing. He might have to wear a cast for 6 weeks,
but I'll bet he won't have to be confined that long.

Poor boy!! Purrs for Archer *and* you!

Joyce
Old September 29th 07, 01:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

We went through something similar when our Sam was a little over a year old.
He was hit by a car and both back legs broken as well as some dislocations.

Both hind legs were in splints. It had the advantage of at least keeping
him in one place most of the time till the first splint came off. But he
managed to jump into my infant daughters crib while he still had the second
splint on. More than once. He spent the next eighteen years of his life
worshiping her.

We didn't have a cage for him. But I was at home most of the time then.

Think Alaska, winter, infant child, and pregnant dog ,in a trailer. We
spent the next eighteen months going to the vet to make payments every
payday.

Well worth it, but I never want to go through another four months like that
as long as I live.

Maybe let him out of the cage and put his brofur in. Might be safer.

Jo

Old September 29th 07, 10:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

I was bumming for OEJ when she had some teeth out, DH was touched to see TV
cuddled up right next to her kennel... then... the paw that steals came
out... went between the bars and into the gushy food, back out and into his
mouth!!! Lee

Old September 30th 07, 06:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

CatNipped wrote:
He said to bring Archer back in in 2 to 3 weeks for another check-up and
that he could probably get the cast off in 6 weeks.

Looks like I missed something... how did Archer hurt himself? Purrs on
the way.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old September 30th 07, 09:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:
He said to bring Archer back in in 2 to 3 weeks for another check-up and
that he could probably get the cast off in 6 weeks.

Looks like I missed something... how did Archer hurt himself? Purrs on the
way.

I'm going to cut and paste this from my original note, so some of the verb
tenses my be screwed up. Sorry, but it's a long story.

Last Wednesday Archer was in the garage using the litter box and I didn't
know he was
there. I was on my way out to the pharmacy to fill a prescription and hit
the "door open" button to open the garage door. The noise scared Archer so
bad he shot out of the garage at light speed. He must have hit his left
rear leg on the door sill. Ben said he got to the first landing on the
stairs and collapsed.

It was 6:30 and our vet stays open until 7:00, *however* they turn off their
phones at 6:30. We put Archer in his Sherpa bag and I sped to the vet's
office. We got there at 6:45, but the vet was already in emergency surgery
for another hurt animal, so they told us we had to go to the emergency vet.
We piled back in the truck and drove umpteen miles to the emergency vet.

The emergency vet gave him morphine and took x-rays and found that is tibia
was broken, but wasn't displaced so he won't have to have bone surgery.
They splinted the leg and sent him home with muscle relaxers, pain pills and
a copy of the x-rays to bring to our regular vet on (last) Saturday (but
that got
changed when the vet took him all day Friday - wee below). We have to
keep him confined in a place where he can't jump up on anything or the
simple break could turn into a compound fracture. While I was waiting at
the vet for them to get done, Ben drove to PetsMart and bought a very large
dog cage that we can put litterbox, food, and a bed in for when we're at
work.

Here's poor Archer in his cast:
http://www.possibleplaces.com/CatNipped/Broken/ and
http://www.possibleplaces.com/CatNipped/Broken2/

What a depressing night that was because while we were there a man, his
wife, and their two children brought in a poodle that was hit by a car, a
man and his pregnant wife brought in a dog that was fatally shot (it was a
pit bull that kept escaping so a neighbor shot it), and a man and his wife
brought in a cat that was hit by a car - after all that we felt lucky that
Archer wasn't hurt worse than he is.

But on another note, while we were waiting I decided to call my mom and it
went something like this...

Me: "How's everybody doing?"

Mom: "Fine, Annie (my sister-in-law) had her first chemotherapy."

Me: "WHAT??!!!"

Mom: "Oh, didn't I tell you she had breast cancer?"

Me: "Um, NO!!!"

Mom: "Yeah, she has stage three cancer that spread to her lymph nodes and
they're giving her 'red hot' chemotherapy (my mom didn't know what it's
really called, just that it's so strong it makes your hair fall out after
just one treatment and turns your urine red). And Tanya (my niece) is
worse - her depression is so bad now that she had to quit work."

Me: "WHAT???!!!"

Mom: "Oh, didn't I tell you that she went into a deep depression after
Katrina?"

And so the conversation went!

Gads, what a really, really depressing night that was!!! :

I stayed home from work Thursday to watch Archer and I had to tear the
kennel appart about 6 or 7 times because he kept having diarrhea and missing
the litter box. I was so worried about leaving him alone in the kennel on
Friday and him being there all day covered in feces. However my vet told me
to drop him off Friday morning and pick him up after work, so he was watched
over (and examined) there. They said the break looked stable and they gave
me something for his diarrhea.

He's doing much better now.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he
Email me he

Old September 30th 07, 10:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

CatNipped wrote:
He said to bring Archer back in in 2 to 3 weeks for another check-up and
that he could probably get the cast off in 6 weeks.

Looks like I missed something... how did Archer hurt himself? Purrs on
the way.

I'm going to cut and paste this from my original note, so some of the verb
tenses my be screwed up. Sorry, but it's a long story.

Last Wednesday Archer was in the garage using the litter box and I didn't
know he was
there. I was on my way out to the pharmacy to fill a prescription and hit
the "door open" button to open the garage door. The noise scared Archer
so
bad he shot out of the garage at light speed. He must have hit his left
rear leg on the door sill. Ben said he got to the first landing on the
stairs and collapsed.

Looking over the past week. Poor Archer did this the day after he went
diving in the fish tank didn't he? No wonder he was so jumpy. Good thing
they have nine lives. If only we did.

Jo