Peeing outside box

Old August 16th 08, 06:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
barb

Default Peeing outside box

Just discovered my new 1 year old cat pees partly out of the box. So I
bought one of those litter boxes with a hood. Both cats seem to like it and
I hope it solves the problem. Phew!

Barb

Old August 16th 08, 09:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Barb" wrote in message
Just discovered my new 1 year old cat pees partly out of the box. So I
bought one of those litter boxes with a hood. Both cats seem to like it
and I hope it solves the problem. Phew!

Do you mean you now have two boxes? Because with two cats you should have at
least that many, or you are setting yourself up for problems.

Old August 16th 08, 10:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Brian Link

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 13:44:44 -0400, "Barb"
wrote:

Just discovered my new 1 year old cat pees partly out of the box. So I
bought one of those litter boxes with a hood. Both cats seem to like it and
I hope it solves the problem. Phew!

Barb

One thing I've heard about "roofed" catboxes though - they can really
turn some cats off of the box entirely; they focus the smell in a
small area that the cats find objectionable.

On the other hand, it's good to read real-life accounts of cats who
get used to them.

I guess we should be grateful that we have pets that don't require
those 2am walks in the snow just to take care of their toilets.. =)

BLink
--------------------------
"The worst thing about censorship is [redacted]"

Old August 17th 08, 08:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"blkcatgal" wrote in message
. ..
My cat hated the covered box...made him pee outside the box. Guess you
may be lucky.

For a little while.

Old August 17th 08, 01:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Barb exclaimed (8/16/2008 1:44 PM):
Just discovered my new 1 year old cat pees partly out of the box. So I
bought one of those litter boxes with a hood. Both cats seem to like it
and I hope it solves the problem. Phew!

Barb

I wouldn't call victory yet. My cat has learned to aim for the crack
between the top and bottom. So I put the Patented JMC Cat Pee Shield
across there (thick piece of plastic, hung with duct tape). Then she
found another corner. Repeat.

I had to get rid of that box when we moved, as the handle was breaking
again. So this time, since she really dislikes covered boxes, I found
one with REALLY high sides - as high as her shoulders. She still
manages to pee up over the top, if the box isn't up to her standards.

She's funny, she's obeying the letter of the law. She ALWAYS goes into
the litterbox. She just doesn't always go in it, if you know what I mean.

Couple of things for you to try:

1. Clean the box more often. Some cats, such as my own, will use it
properly when it's clean, but as soon as it;s been used once, the next
time it's pee lobbing time. Even if the two visits are only a few
minutes apart (like pooping, and coming back in a few minutes to pee).

2. Make the litter really deep. I have more peelobbing problems when
I've let the box get a little low.

3. Try changing litters. We like Worlds Best Litter.

Couple of ideas to do while you're working out the solution:

Get a really big flat pan, big enough to set the entire box on and catch
the stray pee. Sprinkle some litter there.

What I'm actually doing at the moment is I have a spare pan which is
leaning against the wall at an angle. I back the litterbox up to that
and any lobbing is caught by the second pan. This would only work
though if your cat habitually uses only one spot, as mine does.

A coworker says she picked up cement mixer pans from the home
improvement store, and made a litterbox out of them.

Good luck, I know how fun this is. Not.

jmc
Old August 17th 08, 06:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"jmc" wrote in message
[...]

I still say confining the cat to a small room with litter box, food, and bed
and toys should be tried here. It improved Boo's aim so much she stopped
going upstairs in the living room AND now manages to go in the box instead
of down the side. What I mean is maybe six hours, then 12 hours, then 24
after the next "accident" with plenty of lovey visits and play in the room.
It isn't punishment--it is "retraining" in a sense. They are neat creatures,
and hate messes. It seems when they cannot walk far away from a mess, they
are less likely to make one. (And I am not talking old, arthritic cats here,
we are talking about a 1-year-old, in the OP's case.)

Old August 17th 08, 09:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
barb

My pet store needs to order another box for me because they only had one the
right size. Both my cats usually go after they eat and I scoop as soon as
they go. Next thing will indeed be a box with very high sides.

Barb

Old August 17th 08, 09:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Barb exclaimed (8/17/2008 4:08 PM):
My pet store needs to order another box for me because they only had one
the right size. Both my cats usually go after they eat and I scoop as
soon as they go. Next thing will indeed be a box with very high sides.

Barb

FYI, we found the high-sided box at PetSmart. It's actually three
pieces - a solid bottom, grid bottom, and the high sides which also turn
over into the pan at the top. I could do without the grid bottom, but
the rest, I like.

jmc
Old August 17th 08, 09:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
barb

The cats don't mind jumping into the box?

Barb