OT - Damned insensitivity

Old July 26th 09, 07:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Default OT - Damned insensitivity

Wow, they sure do things differently. Since our was joint, there was no
problem. After some of the hideous stuff I went through, I feel sorry for
people who are shy about some things. You learn to stand up for yourself
PDQ or you can get in a jam.

The bank did want me to put one of my kids on my account and I said NO. Not
until I got it all sorted out and then, only in case of my death. Yes, I
can trust them, but not necessarily their spouses.
"Lesley" wrote in message
On Jul 25, 3:30 pm, "Granby" wrote:
The bank wouldn't let me take Bob's name off our account for two years,
said
there may be insurance checks to be deposited. They were right but, there
was no trouble depositing things with his name on them. Couldn't cash
right
out but could deposit. Maybe they had separate accounts of banks with a
different policy

The morning after my father died my mother notified the bank who that
very second she called put an immediate stop on ALL their joint
accounts- cancelled the cash point cards and everything until she (or
someone with a written statement from her that they were acting on her
behalf) took the official death certificate into the bank whereupon
they would open a new account in her name and send out new cards
within 10 working days! So, less than 24 hours after being widowed my
mother had the cash in her purse and nothing else....No way to pay for
the funeral until she got the bank sorted out. Luckily, my youngest
brother could cover for everything until it was sorted but once she
did have a new bank account he walked into that bank, where he also
banked and closed his account with them- and told them in no uncertain
terms why they were losing his consider business.

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old July 26th 09, 09:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Magic Mood Jeep wrote:

Cheryl wrote:
My mom decided to sell my dad's car and got a few quotes from dealers
on trade-ins and also went to Carmax, who gave a good quote. She went
today to finalize the sale and I don't know the whole story because mom
was crying when she told me, but they gave her a hard time because the
death certificate for my dad wasn't stamped, and apparently the death
certificates here aren't stamped like they used to be, and the Carmax
person wouldn't accept it because of that. Actually, when she first
went in for the quote they never told her they needed a death
certificate to make the sale, and she just brought one along as an
afterthought. After having to escalate the problem to management and
her losing it and crying asking why they are giving her such a hard
time after just losing her husband and she didn't know what she was
supposed to do? I told her she needs to call me in these situations
because I didn't know she was going in there today to do this. She is
way more important to me than my job and I'd leave work to go help her.
*sigh*

I'm not sure where you live, but I assume somewhere in the U.S. For
what possible reason would they require a death certificate? I have
disposed of quite a few cars over the years, and all that was ever
required was the pink slip. (And if that's unavailable, one can get a
duplicate.)

If the vehicle in question is in your name, just having the "pink slip"
(hereafter called a title) is all that's needed in order to sell it.

If the vehicle's title is in the name of a deceased person (and no other
person is listed, such as a surviving spouse or child/parent/sibling), the
buyer should require a copy of the death certificate in order to ensure
that they are not buying a stolen vehicle. Also helps with getting title
of said vehicle transferred to the survivor's name to have a death
certificate, since the owner simply cannot be there to sign it over.

So I could have sued my insurance company, when they allowed my ex to
collect the money, after he totalled my car? It was in my (maiden)
name, because I had bought it prior to our marriage - but of course the
replacement he bought was in his name. (Also it had standard
transmission, rather than automatic, so I couldn't drive it.)
Old July 26th 09, 10:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl

"William Hamblen" wrote in message
On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 19:58:08 GMT, Judith Latham
wrote:

I'm so sorry you're Mom had this happen. I really don't know what goes on
in some peoples' heads. How would they have liked to be treated this way.
Is Carmax a part of a chain with a head office? If so I would write to the
head office if you get no apology, possibly compensation. But then again,
your Mom's been through enough so anything you do about it, don't tell her
until afterwards.

Things get awfully legalistic in inheritances. If a certified copy of
a death certificate is required by law, there are no if ands or buts
about it. A copy made on an office copier will not do. You need to
get the real thing from the state.

What my mom was given from the funeral home were indeed certified copies of
the death certificate, it's just that our county or state or whoever
provides them don't use a raised seal anymore. That's what's caused all of
the recent problems with the car sale. She hasn't copied one for any
purpose which is why she ordered something like 25 of them for everything
that requires one.

Old July 26th 09, 11:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote in
message m...

Cheryl wrote:
[...]

Sounds rather more like you should have sued your ex. Assuming both
the car and the insurance policy were only in your name.

Any check they issue is going to be payable to the policy holder(s),
but then it could be deposited to a joint account and raided from
there.

Joint bank accounts aren't always such a hot idea.

Jo

Old July 26th 09, 11:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Cheryl" wrote in message
My mom decided to sell my dad's car and got a few quotes from
dealers on trade-ins and also went to Carmax, who gave a good
quote. She went today to finalize the sale and I don't know the
whole story because mom was crying when she told me, but they gave
her a hard time because the death certificate for my dad wasn't
stamped, and apparently the death certificates here aren't stamped
like they used to be, and the Carmax person wouldn't accept it
because of that.

Just a bit of advice I always gave my tax clients and family, when
there is a death make sure you get at least ten certified copies of
the death certificate right away. More if there are several bank
accounts or insurance policies. And always keep one with you until
everything is settled, just in case.

Its a real pain to get extra certifies copies later, and anyone that
need a death certificate, needs a certified one, not a copy.

I'm really sorry your mother went through this. But I think
everyone that has to settle an estate or deal with the business part
of a death of a loved one hits something similar at least once or
twice. Raw emotions make it very hard to cope, and sometimes they
surface just out of nowhere. That kind of emotion is very difficult
for some people to handle, and they react badly out of their own
emotions and fears.

Jo

Old July 27th 09, 02:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
William Hamblen[_2_]

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 13:29:40 -0700, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:

Magic Mood Jeep wrote:

Cheryl wrote:
[...]

If the car is titled to the wife, then the wife should be named as the
insured. Husbands and children who also drive the car are named as
additional insureds. It's poor underwriting to issue a policy to
someone who doesn't own the car.

Bud
Old July 27th 09, 02:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
William Hamblen[_2_]

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 17:03:20 -0400, "Cheryl"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

In that case the car dealer needs to know better.

Raised seals are pretty scarce these days. I've obtained court
documents with the clerk's seal that was nothing more than a rubber
stamp.

Bud
Old July 27th 09, 02:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"William Hamblen" wrote in message

If the car is titled to the wife, then the wife should be named as
the
insured. Husbands and children who also drive the car are named
as
additional insureds. It's poor underwriting to issue a policy to
someone who doesn't own the car.

Bud

I don't know. We've had the same Allstate since we moved to
California forty years ago. A joint policy. At various time over
the years there have been cars that were titled only to Charlie or
only to me, although most have been jointly owned. I'm pretty sure
that any claim checks we've received have been payable to us both.

When you have a joint bank account with someone, it is extremely
easy for either one of you to deposit a check made out to the other
one and then to remove the money from the account. You have
implicitly agreed to this by opening a joint account with them, and
probably explicitly as well if you read the stuff you sign when you
open the account. So you might have legal recourse against the
other person if they weren't entitled to the money, but not against
the bank or whoever issued the check.

But I'm not a lawyer, and states vary. So check with one when it
matters.

Jo

Old July 27th 09, 08:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Jofirey wrote:

So I could have sued my insurance company, when they allowed my ex to
collect the money, after he totalled my car? It was in my (maiden)
name, because I had bought it prior to our marriage - but of course
the replacement he bought was in his name. (Also it had standard
transmission, rather than automatic, so I couldn't drive it.)

Sounds rather more like you should have sued your ex. Assuming both the
car and the insurance policy were only in your name.

They were! And the premiums were paid from my account - he didn't have
one (or a job, for that matter).

Any check they issue is going to be payable to the policy holder(s), but
then it could be deposited to a joint account and raided from there.

Well, they gave him the check, and he certainly was not the
policy-holder! (This was forty+ years ago - the laws may have changed
since then, and California has always been a community property state.)

Joint bank accounts aren't always such a hot idea.

Very true! Of course, I knew most of the negative things about him
before we married, and I was certainly old enough to know better. (I
was 31, not exactly a naive teen-ager - sometimes "love" really IS blind!)