OT - Mousie misery

Old July 21st 09, 03:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karla

Default OT - Mousie misery

"Cheryl" wrote in message
Unfortunately with mice, you have to find a specialized vet to even do the
amputation, and the vet has to be experienced with pain management for a
being so small. My vet is not experienced with mice and rather than try
to find one who is so quickly, and let this girl suffer, the only humane
thing is to let her go. I already learned from my vet that she doesn't
even know how to treat mites properly and she may have contributed to the
death of one of my first mice.

If I decide to keep keeping mice I will have to find a more specialized
vet for them for cases like this.

She's at peace now.

Cheryl

(snip)

I am sorry for your loss Cheryl,
Godspeed little one,
Karla

Old July 22nd 09, 12:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_2_]

I am so sorry Cheryl
Love
Kyla

"Cheryl"
Unfortunately with mice, you have to find a specialized vet to even do the
amputation, and the vet has to be experienced with pain management for a
being so small. My vet is not experienced with mice and rather than try
to find one who is so quickly, and let this girl suffer, the only humane
thing is to let her go. I already learned from my vet that she doesn't
even know how to treat mites properly and she may have contributed to the
death of one of my first mice.

If I decide to keep keeping mice I will have to find a more specialized
vet for them for cases like this.

She's at peace now.

Cheryl

"Will in New Haven" wrote in message
On Jul 19, 7:30 pm, "Cheryl" wrote:
I think I will have to have one of my Lisas euthanized. She has a lame
paw
and I don't know how it happened, definitely not a fall outside of the
tank
but maybe the wheel. I use the solid plastic ones and now I read they can
be
just as dangerous as the mesh or wire ones. Who knew? Any way, she is
separated from her Lisa sisters in a smaller tank with nothing to get
hurt
on and no one to bug her and her food in shallow dish and water bottle
easy
to reach. Until I can call TED tomorrow and see if she thinks she should
be
euthanized. Everything I read about injured feet in mice say either
amputation or euthanization.

I'm no mosuie expert but the choice between foot amputation and
euthenasia in d*gs and cats is an easy one. I've met many cats and
d*gs who were missing a foot and got along fine. I once failed to mind
my own business when a young vet was telling a couple that they "might
as well have him put away because otherwise he will be miserable on
three legs" about their little d*g. They used to bring their merry
little d*g into my store every few weeks to thank me for saying
something. He lived nine years on three legs with apparent pleasure.

--
Will in New Haven

Old July 22nd 09, 03:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatEyes

Aw, Cheryl, I'm so sorry to read this. Sorry I'm late to the thread also -
I haven't been able to keep up with the group, work and medical issues are
bogging me down.

Purrs are on the way to help heal your breaking heart (it's amazing how
large a hole in your heart such a tiny creature can make).

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old August 4th 09, 10:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Cheryl" wrote in message
Unfortunately with mice, you have to find a specialized vet to even do the
amputation, and the vet has to be experienced with pain management for a
being so small. My vet is not experienced with mice and rather than try
to find one who is so quickly, and let this girl suffer, the only humane
thing is to let her go. I already learned from my vet that she doesn't
even know how to treat mites properly and she may have contributed to the
death of one of my first mice.

If I decide to keep keeping mice I will have to find a more specialized
vet for them for cases like this.

She's at peace now.

I'm sorry you lost your pet mousie.
Unfortunately if you keep mice you have to accept that their lifespan is
often 18 months-3 years at best. Having an amputation is not an option.
I used to keep show mice so I know how you feel.
Some of mine used to get tumours under the skin but my vet refused to
operate, he said what was I hoping to achieve? A few more weeks for an
animal that only lives 2 years or so?
He was quite right, of course. I just didn't want to hear it.

Tweed

Old August 5th 09, 04:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Cheryl" wrote in message
[...]

Exactly, Tweed. With the micies I'm not doing heroics. Not going to keep
them alive to suffer through healing from surgery. Their lives are already
too short. If they're sick with something that requires amputation of
something, it will gain them what, a few weeks? The thing with mice is they
don't seem to notice one is missing when they live in a group.

Gone was the mousie! Micha[_2_] Cat anecdotes 6 May 31st 07 09:33 PM
Mousie Christina Websell Cat anecdotes 1 June 9th 06 12:32 AM
Might be a mousie Christina Websell Cat anecdotes 0 November 29th 05 09:18 PM
Why do people wait until the misery is obvious A.J. Rivett Cat health & behaviour 4 October 17th 03 01:23 AM