Persia Update - Thyroid Check

Old June 1st 10, 05:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Persia Update - Thyroid Check

I took Persia to her regular vet to get her thyroid levels checked. The vet
is thrilled! Her thyroid levels are perfect. Happy Dance! Persia is about
12.5 lbs. Also perfect

Unfortunately, she threw up in her carrier on the way home. I think she
gets herself so worked up (what with constantly yowling) it makes her sick
to her stomach. I've figured out how to tell when she's going to get sick.
It's a different sound than I normally hear if, say, she's about to hork up
a hairball. She's still crying, but in a very low, gutteral voice she says,
"Meow-ma. Meow-Ma! MEOW-MA!" It's like she's saying, "Get me out of here!
I'm going to be sick!" Unfortunately there's not a heck of a lot I can do
in a moving car going 50 MPH on a busy but only 2-lane highway

When we got home I rushed her [carrier] into the bathroom. I learned my
lesson the last time, I ran to the one *without* the litterbox! This time,
though, I was able to just use a damp washcloth and only had to wipe off her
paws. Somehow for the remainder of the ride home she managed to scrunch
herself up into a tiny (heh) ball to avoid the vomit. She just had a little
bit on her paws from where she was anxious to jump out when I unzipped the
top. And she was *very* good about letting me wipe off her paws.

I took the carrier outside, unzipped the side and stuck a hose in from the
top opening and rinsed it all out. Then I wiped it down well with
disinfectant wipes. (No, I'm not worried about using them. She won't be in
the carrier again for quite a long time.)

Sherpa bags are very nice but it's too bad the carrying handles are tricked
out with leather. It would be great to be able to just throw it in the
washer. At least it's made of flexible mesh and the bottom panel is covered
with vinyl. The fleece liner is washable. But apparently she scrunched
that back in the corner when she knew she was going to get sick. Not a drop
on it! What a smart girl!

Jill

Old June 1st 10, 05:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karla

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

That is wonderful news Jill, except the throwing up part. You and Persia
were so stressed out for a long time over this epidsode and now it looks to
be over with a happy ending!

When I feel nauseous I need lots of fresh air-I'm wondering if Persia would
do better with more cool air moving around. Probably wouldn't make a
difference, and it's my guess that you make her as comfortable as possible
with the car air-conditioner. When I had pets in the car in warm weather I
aim all the vents at them-I'm betting that is universal.
Karla
Karla

Old June 1st 10, 05:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"jmcquown" wrote in message
I took Persia to her regular vet to get her thyroid levels checked. The
vet is thrilled! Her thyroid levels are perfect. Happy Dance! Persia is
about 12.5 lbs. Also perfect

Fantastic! Thanks for the update.

Unfortunately, she threw up in her carrier on the way home.

I keep a can of Feliway (the spray-type) on hand. I have found that it
helps a lot to spray a little into the carrier about 20 minutes before we
leave. That can be very helpful in reducing stress. It can also help to
drape a light-weight towel or cloth over the carrier to prevent a cat from
seeing out. Some cats seem to get motion sickness from seeing trees and
cars fly by.

Jill

Old June 1st 10, 05:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Great news about the thyroid and the weight. So sad that she gets so upset.

--
Adrian (Owned by Bagheera & Shadow)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart
Old June 1st 10, 05:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
I took Persia to her regular vet to get her thyroid levels checked. The
vet is thrilled! Her thyroid levels are perfect. Happy Dance! Persia is
about 12.5 lbs. Also perfect

Fantastic! Thanks for the update.

Unfortunately, she threw up in her carrier on the way home.

I keep a can of Feliway (the spray-type) on hand. I have found that it
helps a lot to spray a little into the carrier about 20 minutes before we
leave. That can be very helpful in reducing stress. It can also help to
drape a light-weight towel or cloth over the carrier to prevent a cat from
seeing out. Some cats seem to get motion sickness from seeing trees and
cars fly by.

I've long heard about the benefits of Feliway. I may have to order some. I
think she just gets herself worked up because she knows we can't be going
anywhere good. She's not Harri Roadcat The zipper top of the Sherpa bag
and the ends are solid fabric so she can't see through those. I doubt she
can see out the windows even if she were so inclined. I drive a 5-speed
with bucket front seats. She can see the inside of the car door, or me.
And she's usually facing me, begging me not to do this to her! But I'll
take the Feliway into consideration.

Jill

Old June 1st 10, 06:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

using the washing machine -- makes me wonder "why not"? Would it
really damage the leather that much" Cows and horses don't seem to
shrink in the rain LOL, Wondering? Purrs for Persia's wellbeing. MLB
Old June 1st 10, 09:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

jmcquown wrote:

I took Persia to her regular vet to get her thyroid levels checked. The vet
is thrilled! Her thyroid levels are perfect. Happy Dance! Persia is about
12.5 lbs. Also perfect

Hooray!! That's great news. You and Persia both went through a lot to get
her in such good shape. No more trips to the vet for a long time, I hope!

Sherpa bags are very nice but it's too bad the carrying handles are tricked
out with leather. It would be great to be able to just throw it in the
washer.

Would it destroy the handles if you did wash it? I've never actually
washed leather in water, so I don't know what kind of damage that does,
but I would think that as long as washing doesn't actually *destroy*
the handles so that you can't use the carrier, who cares? They may not
look as nice, but it's just a cat carrier.

Joyce

--
May the great galactic kitten always purr you to sleep.
Old June 1st 10, 09:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

MLB wrote:

using the washing machine -- makes me wonder "why not"? Would it
really damage the leather that much" Cows and horses don't seem to
shrink in the rain LOL, Wondering? Purrs for Persia's wellbeing. MLB

GMTA! I always thought the reason you don't wash leather is because
water will stain it. But I didn't think it would actually damage it to the
point of it disintegrating. Who cares if the handles are water stained?
I'd think it was worth it to be able to chuck a puked-on carrier into the
washer.

Joyce

--
May the great galactic kitten always purr you to sleep.
Old June 1st 10, 10:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

wrote in message
MLB wrote:

using the washing machine -- makes me wonder "why not"?
Would it
really damage the leather that much" Cows and horses don't seem
shrink in the rain LOL, Wondering? Purrs for Persia's
wellbeing. MLB

GMTA! I always thought the reason you don't wash leather is
because
water will stain it. But I didn't think it would actually damage it
to the
point of it disintegrating. Who cares if the handles are water
stained?
I'd think it was worth it to be able to chuck a puked-on carrier
into the
washer.

Joyce

My only "experience" with washing leather comes from leather clothing
and accessories. Rain will spot leather coats. it won't destroy
them, but they won't look good after they get wet. If you have ever
had leather shoes get wet, you will remember that after they dry
there will be what looks like salt on the surface. They won't be
smooth and slick anymore.

Charlie doesn't go fishing very often. Mostly because he has a bit
of a reputation for falling in the river so he doesn't get invited
anymore. So we have learned that leather wallets might still be
useable after a soaking, but they lose their elasticity. They get
kind of stiff.

The problem isn't with the cow's skin, which after all kept the cow
protected all its life, but in the processes that are used to turn
that stiff rough cow hide into tanned leather. Water messes with the
finishes and dyes etc. Also in the process of getting leather wet
and re drying it, you are very likely to damage the threads used to
assemble the leather object.

Jo

Old June 2nd 10, 06:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karla

"Jofirey" wrote in message
(snip)
Charlie doesn't go fishing very often. Mostly because he has a bit of a
reputation for falling in the river so he doesn't get invited anymore.

(snip)
That is so sad in a funny kind of way. Like the kid that gets picked last
for the team. Or the only kid in class not invited to the birthday party.

At the same time I can see it being very inconvenient having to fish him out
of the river time and again.
Karla