Spicey's cyst

Old March 1st 13, 07:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Default Spicey's cyst

I found little Spicey sleepy and oblivious on the living room floor, with
front paws tucked and back feet stretched out elegantly behind her. Seeing
her in such harmless repose, i thought I'd take a chance on a
straightforward approach to catching her.

I prepared my gloves and armor. Spicey remained oblivious.

I brought out the carrier. Spicey glanced over and put her head back down.

I opened up the carrier. Spicey was unperturbed.

Then, ISCOOPEDherup,andSHOVEDherin,andCLOSEDthedoor,THEE ND.

Phew! A new extreme sport was born today.

At the vet, they said that the lump feels too soft and watery to be a
glandular tumor, and said that they could possibly prescibe antibiotics
(but she seems to be feeling fine). They could possibly X-ray her (but that
would only confirm cancer at the incurable stage).

Neither of those options seemed to make sense, so I asked if they could
biopsy the mass. They said that if I wanted a biopsy, they could perform a
major masectomy and biopsy that. But they'd have to schedule it, and it
would take Spicey a couple of days to recover. I asked them if they could
perform a non-invasive biopsy to determine what it is, but they said that
they don't have that option.

Hmm, but a same day biopsy surgery was what this hospital did with Betty, I
pointed out to them. I pressed them a bit further on whether they could do
a biopsy without radical surgery, but they wouldn't budge on that, even
though they didn't think it would be something malignant.

Then they suggested antibiotics again. Hmmm. I told them I'd have to think
about this one.

Spicey didn't seem to have thought much about her TED trip. She's just
lounging around again - next to the carrier. Maybe she's not that bright.

Old March 2nd 13, 12:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Takayuki" wrote in message
[...]

It's strange that they are so adamant about that. However, it does sound as
though I was right and it's nothing to worry about. I had a couple of my
cysts removed for biopsy and had a needle biopsy on one. After that, I just
ignored them. They go away after a while - sometimes a long while. I'd
check it occasionally, but unless it gets a lot larger (still probably
nothing to worry about) or gets hard, I'd ignore it. If it's hard, it
probably needs attention. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry. I'm basing this on
my own experience.

Joy

Old March 2nd 13, 12:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLBriggs

On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 14:54:58 -0500, Takayuki wrote:

[...]

IMHO She seems to be trusting her daddyman more all the time. Best wishes for a good outcome. MLB
Old March 2nd 13, 05:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Fri, 1 Mar 2013 16:13:13 -0800, "Joy" wrote:
It's strange that they are so adamant about that. However, it does sound as
though I was right and it's nothing to worry about. I had a couple of my
cysts removed for biopsy and had a needle biopsy on one. After that, I just
ignored them. They go away after a while - sometimes a long while. I'd
check it occasionally, but unless it gets a lot larger (still probably
nothing to worry about) or gets hard, I'd ignore it. If it's hard, it
probably needs attention. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry. I'm basing this on
my own experience.

The vet said that they didn't have either the expertise or facilities for a
less invasive biopsy. I'm going to keep an eye on her this weekend in case
it's some kind of infection (they seemed doubtful about this, but they were
about everything), and probably schedule her for a second opinion.

You're probably right that it's nothing major. TED left me scratching my
head today though.
Old March 2nd 13, 07:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Takayuki" wrote in message
[...]

I can understand that. The thought that they could handle a major operation
but not a minor one is mind-boggling.

Joy

Old March 2nd 13, 11:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 3/2/2013 2:57 AM, The Other Guy wrote:
On Fri, 1 Mar 2013 23:04:02 -0800, "Joy" wrote:

You're probably right that it's nothing major. TED left me scratching my
head today though.

I can understand that. The thought that they could handle a major operation
but not a minor one is mind-boggling.

Emptying a cyst is such a BASIC procedure (aka needle biopsy).

Sounds like they just didn't WANT to do it, for God knows what reason.

Obviously the surgery would net them more money. Things like this
irritate the heck out of me.

Jill

Old March 2nd 13, 04:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Sat, 2 Mar 2013 00:14:13 +0000 (UTC), mlbriggs
wrote:

IMHO She seems to be trusting her daddyman more all the time. Best wishes for a good outcome. MLB

She is! She's less fearful, but also more brazen and assertive.

"I accept you as my new Daddy, but don't press your luck" is her motto.
Old March 2nd 13, 04:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 06:40:33 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

On 3/2/2013 2:57 AM, The Other Guy wrote:
On Fri, 1 Mar 2013 23:04:02 -0800, "Joy" wrote:

You're probably right that it's nothing major. TED left me scratching my
head today though.

I can understand that. The thought that they could handle a major operation
but not a minor one is mind-boggling.

Emptying a cyst is such a BASIC procedure (aka needle biopsy).

Sounds like they just didn't WANT to do it, for God knows what reason.

Obviously the surgery would net them more money. Things like this
irritate the heck out of me.

That was kind of odd, but I have an appointment now for Monday to get her
looked at by another vet, just in case.
Old March 2nd 13, 07:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Takayuki wrote:
[...]

I don't know where you live, so changing vets may not be an option, but
I'd steer clear of a vet who insisted upon an expensive procedure when a
less invasive one was available! (I've spent a lot on vet bills over
the years, but always with vets I trusted, who made all my options known
and didn't push the more invasive ones because they'd make more money
from them.)
Old March 2nd 13, 07:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

The Other Guy wrote:
On Fri, 1 Mar 2013 23:04:02 -0800, "Joy" wrote:

You're probably right that it's nothing major. TED left me scratching my
head today though.

I can understand that. The thought that they could handle a major operation
but not a minor one is mind-boggling.

Emptying a cyst is such a BASIC procedure (aka needle biopsy).

Sounds like they just didn't WANT to do it, for God knows what reason.

They'd make more money from the major op? (Like I said in my previous
post, I'd change vets!)