Dear Sheba

Old August 24th 08, 09:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CATherine[_2_]

Default Dear Sheba

Sheba has been in our lives for 17 years. She came to me as a 3 month
old kitten. As I carried her home, I studied her tortishell coloring
and her name came to me. But she has also been called Pretty Little
Girl, and for the last year, Pretty Little Old Lady.

In her youth she was a very good huntress. There were several times
she brought a bird close to the house to play with it. But as soon as
she opened her mouth to drop it, it flew away! And she would leap into
the air after it. Alas, she seldon got to taste her catch. But with a
rodent, it was a different story.

When DH was dying of cancer, she was his Nurse Cat. She watched over
him and slept with him and shared his food. And, although she usually
hid from strangers visiting, she never left DH when the Hospice Nurse
came by. In fact, Sheba would sit on the back of the couch and watch
very closely everything the nurse did. On the last day, Sheba knew the
end was near. she got right in the nurse's face and proceeded to
harangue her! I never knew a cat had such a varied vocabulary. I think
she was telling the nurse to do something to save dh. When he was
gone, Sheba crawled into my arms for comfort.

A few years later she was Dxed with diabetes. She hated being on a
special diet. She thought she really should weigh in excess of 15
pounds! To Sheba, round was beautiful. Boy, was she round! But she
eventually lost the excess. But ever since then she acted like she was
starving. 12 pounds was NOT beautiful! I remember once that Djoser
caught a mouse and made it into the bedroom with it. Sheba snarled and
snagged it right out of his mouth! I tried to take it away from her;
but she slapped her clawed paw down next to my hand and snarled! Oh
well, a little protein won't hurt her diabetes.

For the last year, though, she started eating less and I started
feeding her small amounts at frequent intervals. She lost more weight
and strength. She got quite frail this month. then we had all that
rain and after rain after rain; and then the cold wind and fogs and
humidity. She got pneumonia. With her poor condition, we made the
decision to let her go. I held her in my arms and petted and talked to
her and tears dripping.

But she is now at Rainbow Bridge and playing with Max and Amber; all
in perfect health. Someday, not too many years now, I will meet them
there, and we will cross the Bridge together with joy.

Old August 24th 08, 09:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nanny[_4_]

I'm so sorry for you.
Sheba had a good life and you made a lovely memorial for her.

Nanny

"CATherine" schreef in bericht

Old August 24th 08, 10:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Irulan

We will light a candle for Sheba's safe journey
to the RB. She will be happy there. Condolences
to you.

Lily & her mama

--
Irulan
from the stars we come

Old August 24th 08, 10:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"CATherine" wrote in message

But she is now at Rainbow Bridge and playing with Max and Amber; all
in perfect health. Someday, not too many years now, I will meet them
there, and we will cross the Bridge together with joy.

I'm sorry. Sheba was a lovely little girl and a joy to read about.

Pam S.

Old August 24th 08, 11:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_2_]

Sending lots of purrs for your baby girl's trip to the Bridge and for
healing for you.

Old August 24th 08, 11:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^^=

Nanny said it better than I could have CATherine.
It it so hard to lose your Heart Cat.. I'm so sorry
Purrs for your poor broken heart.
Hug
Kyla

"Nanny"

Old August 24th 08, 11:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Charleen Welton

What a wonderful family and wonderful life you and Sheba gave to each other.
No doubt it will continue on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge.
Charleen

Old August 25th 08, 12:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 14:37:31 -0600, CATherine
wrote:

[...]

She had a good long life with you. Sadly, it's never long enough.

Purrs for Sheba's journey to the Bridge, and for your broken heart.

- Robert Heinlein