Rat mama update

Old July 11th 09, 10:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Steve Touchstone[_3_]

Default Rat mama update

Well, right after my post saying the rat was having babies I talked
with the girl at work to see if she had any experience with wee rat
babies. She had no experience or suggestions to offer, having only had
males, but did have a friend who she could call who has quite a rat
menagerie. She called up her friend, who was happy to take mama and
babies right away, meeting me at the store about 30 minutes after my
last post. So, I've found a home for them. She said that she'd be busy
tomorrow, but would let me know Monday how mom and babies were doing.

I keep saying babies, but so far there had only been the one live
birth when I passed them on. Something else I didn't realize about pet
rats is that they can be very heat sensitive, and poor momma was in
the Out during our hottest period of this summer - several 100+ days
with heat advisories. My new rat expert told me that it wouldn't be
surprising if she lost all the babies. She said the one live baby
seemed dehydrated and not nursing normally. As I understand it, with
baby rats you should see a "milk band" on their stomach if their
stomach is full. Also, the baby should have been doing lots of
squeaking demanding to be fed. No milk band, no squeaking, very little
movement. So the girl didn't seem to think the baby would survive.

I know it seems kind of strange to be asking for purrs for a rat, but
knowing the kind of folks here I'm going to go ahead and ask for purrs
for rat mama and any surviving babies. I'll let you know the news of
how they're doing Monday (or more likely early Tuesday when I get home
from work).
--
Steve Touchstone
Little Bit, Sammy, Spotty, Princess, Furby
Old July 11th 09, 10:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_2_]

"Steve Touchstone" wrote in message
[...]

Purrs on the way. Hoping for the best.

--
Theresa and Dante

Stinky Forever: http://pets.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh

Old July 11th 09, 10:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Steve wrote:

I know it seems kind of strange to be asking for purrs for a rat, but
knowing the kind of folks here I'm going to go ahead and ask for purrs
for rat mama and any surviving babies. I'll let you know the news of
how they're doing Monday (or more likely early Tuesday when I get home
from work).

Purrs disguised as rat squeaks for the babies!

--
Joyce ^..^

Old July 11th 09, 11:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Purrs are on the way.

--

Joy

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of
masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch. - Leo Dworken

Old July 11th 09, 11:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

[...]

I just can't ask my two for purrs. I know darn good and well what
they would be purring for if they knew about baby ratties and momma
ratties.

Will send a few prayers your way however. For you since I know how
this stuff can tug at the heartstrings, and for Mama Rat. She has
worked very hard living in the out and all and getting to this
point. May she have peace and health from here on out.

Jo

Old July 11th 09, 11:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Steve Touchstone wrote:
I keep saying babies, but so far there had only been the one live
birth when I passed them on. Something else I didn't realize about pet
rats is that they can be very heat sensitive, and poor momma was in
the Out during our hottest period of this summer - several 100+ days
with heat advisories. My new rat expert told me that it wouldn't be
surprising if she lost all the babies. She said the one live baby
seemed dehydrated and not nursing normally. As I understand it, with
baby rats you should see a "milk band" on their stomach if their
stomach is full. Also, the baby should have been doing lots of
squeaking demanding to be fed. No milk band, no squeaking, very little
movement. So the girl didn't seem to think the baby would survive.

My experience is with mouse babies and gerbil babies, but yes, they're
loud. You can tell when a litter has been born because of chorus of
contented squeaks muffled under an attentive mother. It's the most
wonderful sound in the world to wake up to. They do get that band of
white on their pink hairless tummies - I never knew that they were
called "milk bands".

I'm sure momrat hadn't been foraging successfully, considering that
she's a dumped pet (or lost - it's much easier to lose a small rodent
than a large dog or cat).

Just feed her plenty - I like to give sunflower seeds to pregnant
rodents because they're high fat, and they gobble them up eagerly. And
now that she has a baby, give them a lot more bedding than you had in
the pictures - you don't want the baby to be in contact with cold
plastic and metal. Give them shredded paper if you don't have more
chips, and tissue paper to allow her to line her nest with a warm,
soft material.
Old July 12th 09, 12:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Jul 11, 5:11*pm, Steve Touchstone
wrote:
[...]

Maggy May will lead purrs for aany mother-baby combination, no matter
how unlikely an ally they would make for cats. She has helped raise a
puppy and raised her own litters and another cat's litter. She is
retired from the field now but she will not let a "bittie" go without
purrs.

--
Will in New Haven

Old July 12th 09, 03:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Bless you for being so concerned. Purrs for the mamma and the baby. This
coming from someone who hates rats, was bitten by some as a child.

Old July 12th 09, 03:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Steve Touchstone wrote:

I know it seems kind of strange to be asking for purrs for a rat, but
knowing the kind of folks here I'm going to go ahead and ask for purrs
for rat mama and any surviving babies. I'll let you know the news of
how they're doing Monday (or more likely early Tuesday when I get home
from work).

I'm so glad you found someone who knows how to look after them properly!
Many purrs on the way for mama and baby. Once again, you did well, Steve.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.
Old July 12th 09, 08:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Steve Touchstone[_3_]

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 18:29:09 -0400, Takayuki
wrote:

[...]

No doubt mama and babes will do better with the girl I was put in
touch with. When she came for them she had a little aquarium glass
enclosure like box, with a layer of shredded paper, a little plastic
igloo box to hide in, a couple toys, and like you suggest sunflower
seeds. It was obvious when we met that this girl was a far better
choice to take care of them.

I have to admit I was totally clueless about what was needed. Since
mama was first noticed at the cat food bowl, I gave her more once she
was in the carrier. Now I know she would have appreciated some seed
from Tiger, my cockatiel.