'dental diet' products

Old October 31st 03, 08:11 PM
Yngver

gree (Filigree00) wrote:

Kirsten, try Hill's t/d or Science Diet Oral Care. These products carry

the
VOHC seal and are clinically proven to clean away tartar, plaque, stain on

your cat's teeth.

There's also all the Iams Dental Diet doohickeys.

AFAICT, t/d is the best dry food for dental care. It also seems to be
extremely palatable to the furry freaks. On the flip side, it's pretty
low calorie (high fibre), which may or may not be of interest.

Actually, it may be of concern for one of my cats--I don't want to give him
anything that may cause him to lose weight fast since he's had complications
due to dieting in the past. Do you think the fact that it's low calorie might
cause an overweight cat to lose weight quickly?

One of our cats, who was about a pound overweight, did lost most of that pound
over the course of several months on SD dental diet. I wouldn't say she lost it
quickly, however. And we also feed canned food, so it wasn't her only diet.

It's
also a distressing yellow in colour.

So is the Friskies.

What will work best is for you to attempt a daily cleaning of your
cats fangs. This may, or may not be possible without loss of own
limbs. CET make little cleaning kits so that you can find out how
futile the attempt is, give up, and search for a suitable dental diet.

That will probably be my course of action.

I'd probably stick with a predominantly wet diet, with some arbitrary
amount of dental diet added in. Maybe 33% dental diet and 66% wet, on
a calorific basis. I have no basis whatsoever for those figures,
calorific or otherwise.

Just curious--doesn't wet food contribute to tartar buildup more so than dry
alone? This was something else the vet told me and so I stopped giving my
babies wet food, much to their chagrin.

Well, that's debatable. Canned food is generally considered a healthier diet
overall then dry. I'm not sure there is any real evidence that canned food
contributes to tartar buildup. However, if you are concerned, why not feed
both?
Old October 31st 03, 10:12 PM
Steve G

gree (Filigree00) wrote in message ...
Steve wrote:

(...)

AFAICT, t/d is the best dry food for dental care. It also seems to be
extremely palatable to the furry freaks. On the flip side, it's pretty
low calorie (high fibre), which may or may not be of interest.

Actually, it may be of concern for one of my cats--I don't want to give him
anything that may cause him to lose weight fast since he's had complications
due to dieting in the past. Do you think the fact that it's low calorie might
cause an overweight cat to lose weight quickly?

Well, the cat would be more likely to lose weight on a lower kcal diet
rather than a higher kcal diet! Facetiousness aside, according to the
Hills WWWsite, t/d is a little (~10%) higher in energy density (i.e.,
per unit mass) than their 'light' formulations, but c. 15% lower than
the bum-basic stuff. This suggests to me that t/d would *not* be
likely to lead to a 'quick' weight loss, because it is not as low
calorie as the diets that are designed specifically for weight loss.

IYSWIM!

(...)

I'd probably stick with a predominantly wet diet, with some arbitrary
amount of dental diet added in. Maybe 33% dental diet and 66% wet, on
a calorific basis. I have no basis whatsoever for those figures,
calorific or otherwise.

Just curious--doesn't wet food contribute to tartar buildup more so than dry
alone?

I believe so, yes. However, the advantages of wet food outweigh the
disadvantages, IMO. Moreover, you will certainly need to get
professional, periodic, cat-fang cleanage even if you feed the best
available dental diet.

Mind you, I wish I knew how effective these dental diets are when fed
at less than 100% of the daily ration - they are tested as an
exclusive food.

Steve.