Where do you get your best buys in cat food?

Old January 9th 09, 01:25 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Evelyn

Default Where do you get your best buys in cat food?

"Dave Garland" wrote in message
cshenk wrote:
That 40# bag is probably totally USA generated and decent quality with
none
of the problems the overseas stuff has had.

I'm not sure one can assume that. The melamine problem in 2007, a lot
of USA brands were affected. It's a global market, and manufacturers
order ingredients from wherever the deal is best.

I lost 3 cats that year. I mostly fed them brands that weren't on the
lists of affected catfood (which included even premium brands like
Eukanuba and Science Diet), but one wonders.

Dave

I think the problem is much more widespread than we all thought. My dogs
got sick that year. All are well now, but it was a scary time. I also
feed my cats science diet. But they also get a can of friskies in the AM
and one in the PM too. Buying it by the case in Sam's club is a decent
deal.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Old January 10th 09, 06:30 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Spot[_2_]

You get what you pay for. I never feed any of my animals economy food. The
only time I ever did this my dog lost his hair. Never again.

I stick with brand names and look for sales and coupons. You can even buy
coupons for pet food and other items you use at the following web site.
I've been buying from them for years they are legit.
http://www.thecouponclippers.com/

Celeste

--
Save 25% or more on your eBay® auctions
Snipe eBay Auctions with Bidnip

"James" wrote in message
On Jan 6, 3:31 pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
On Jan 5, 4:20 pm, James wrote:

Is it K Mart, Wal Mart, Target or big box pet stores? Now that gas
is reasonalbe it may be worth it for me to drive to one of the stores
to buy cat food.

I used to get the 7 lb. Purina One but it seems expensive lately.

Mice? ;)

In all seriousness, good food is cheaper in the long run as other
posters are noting.

Buying it in bulk also helps.

How many cats are we talking about?

TMT

We just have one pussy. BTW I went to the feed store to buy some hay
and rabbit food.. They had a close out on their economy cat food. So
I bought a 40 pound bag for $10. It was 1/2 price and so cheap I
couldn't resist. I could use the $10 saved to give her 20 pounds of
chicken legs.

Old January 10th 09, 08:38 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
SMS

James wrote:
Is it K Mart, Wal Mart, Target or big box pet stores? Now that gas
is reasonalbe it may be worth it for me to drive to one of the stores
to buy cat food.

I used to get the 7 lb. Purina One but it seems expensive lately.

I volunteered for a cat rescue group, and we buy mass quantities of cat
food, and did extensive evaluations of the nutritional content, ash
levels, etc. of many of the dry foods, including the so-called premium
foods like Science Diet.

The Kirkland dry cat food from Costco was not only one of the least
expensive foods, it was one of the best ones. For the cats with medical
issues we sometimes had to buy special foods from the vet, but this was
rare.
Old January 13th 09, 11:49 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"SMS" wrote in message
James wrote:
Is it K Mart, Wal Mart, Target or big box pet stores? Now that gas
is reasonalbe it may be worth it for me to drive to one of the stores
to buy cat food.

I used to get the 7 lb. Purina One but it seems expensive lately.

I volunteered for a cat rescue group, and we buy mass quantities of cat
food, and did extensive evaluations of the nutritional content, ash
levels, etc. of many of the dry foods, including the so-called premium
foods like Science Diet.

The Kirkland dry cat food from Costco was not only one of the least
expensive foods, it was one of the best ones. For the cats with medical
issues we sometimes had to buy special foods from the vet, but this was
rare.

Obviously price is a factor for rescue organizations, but dry cat food is
very high carb and should only be fed to cats occasionally as a treat. My
spoiled indoor cats love it, but the three of them only get one tiny bowl
once a week, or else they gain weight. My vet says that the only carbs cats
need can be found in the stomach of a mouse. The mouse-carbs are probably
why my furballs are good indoor mousers!

Old January 14th 09, 02:09 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
The Real Bev

h wrote:

"SMS" wrote:

The Kirkland dry cat food from Costco was not only one of the least
expensive foods, it was one of the best ones. For the cats with medical
issues we sometimes had to buy special foods from the vet, but this was
rare.

Obviously price is a factor for rescue organizations, but dry cat food is
very high carb and should only be fed to cats occasionally as a treat. My
spoiled indoor cats love it, but the three of them only get one tiny bowl
once a week, or else they gain weight. My vet says that the only carbs cats
need can be found in the stomach of a mouse. The mouse-carbs are probably
why my furballs are good indoor mousers!

My daughter's cats and mini-dachshund have eaten dry food (probably Kirkland)
all their lives. She fills up one of those feeders that holds a gallon or so
whenever it's enpty. The animals are healthy, but the dog has a bit of extra
weight due to shared snacks with the grandspawn.

This goes against everything I've ever heard about dog-feeding --
"No matter how much you give them they'll eat it all RIGHT NOW". The dog
nibbles just like the cats. She'd be happy as a vegetarian and loves carrots,
fruit, broccoli, peanut butter...

I've also understood that the "affection" shown by cats is just marking the
producer of the food as theirs. Since these cats are fed by some miraculous
ever-generous invisible god, any friendliness would seem to be genuine. 3 of
the cats are extremely friendly and one is kind of shy, but eventually warms up.

--
Cheers, Bev
While in high school, we were encouraged to keep a daily journal.

Old January 14th 09, 06:43 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Evelyn

"The Real Bev" wrote in message
h wrote:

"SMS" wrote:

[...]

Our cats (3) get one can in the morning which they share, and another can in
the evening which they also share. The rest of the time they eat very good
quality dry food, as much as they want. I have been buying science diet
indoor cat for them which is not cheap. I have heard all that about not
feeding them dry food, but if I only fed them cans I would go broke. They
catch mice and birds and chipmunks and moles outside for fun and snack food.
All three are healthy and happy with silky shiny fur and bright eyes and no
problems. In fact I'd like to get these cats jobs and send them out to
work!!!!!

Old May 14th 09, 05:17 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
June[_2_]

h wrote:

"SMS" wrote:

[...]

Hi Evelyn....Fancy meeting you here! Since one of cats has had bladder
issues. The vet said I should feed him canned cat food because he doesn't
drink enough water. So I give him both. Also he said the better quality
foods are better because some of the cheaper brands tend to make the cat
hungrier in order to sell more cat food. I only give my indoor cat Iams but
the outdoor ones get whatever is on sale. They do seem to be
thriving......June