stray tomcat and interferon revolt

Old May 26th 09, 07:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

Default stray tomcat and interferon revolt

"calvin" wrote in message
On May 25, 4:49 am, "Phil P." wrote:
"calvin" wrote in message

Why not call your vet tomorrow- don't wait until you finish the

antibiotics?

I started the interferon today,

Good man! I may be a prick, but I never give advice that would harm a cat.

but I don't believe it is the
low dose.

I'm telling you, it is the low dose- 30 IU/ml. High dose protocols are
given IM or IP.

What I read on the internet shows the Greek
letter alpha after the name and says that it is given every
day, not by the seven-on seven-off sequence.

The Greek letter "alpha" means interferon "alpha". There a few
different types of interferon; e.g.., interferon beta, interferon gamma, and
the new feline interferon omega @ about $250 a vial- which isn't available
in the US yet without special approval from customs and the FDA. One of the
first replies you got about the adverse effects of interferon pertained to
high-dose interferon *gamma* - not low dose interferon alpha which you are
giving your cat. See what I
mean about being careful about believing what you read on the internet.

The reason for 7 days on/7 days off is so the cat doesn't develop antibodies
to the interferon which is of human origin. A lot of vets don't advise
skipping a week because the risk of developing anti-interferon antibodies at
such a low dose is practically nil -which is true. None of the adverse
effects that occurred in humans (e.g.bone marrow suppression) have never
been reported in cats on the protocol your cat is on.

But I give
up and will do whatever the vet says. He can take the
blame if harm is done, though it shouldn't be about blame;
it should be about compassion for the poor cat.

Your vet sounds pretty good to me. Most vets recommend killing cats with
FeLV- even if they're asymptomatic.

You can save a lot of money by mixing up your own IFN. Your cost would be ~
$50 for a year's supply.

Keep me posted on his progress.

Best of luck,

Phil

Old May 26th 09, 02:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Calvin

On May 26, 2:13*am, "Phil P." wrote:
Your vet sounds pretty good to me. *Most vets recommend killing cats with
FeLV- even if they're asymptomatic.

I won't allow killing a cat unless he is obviously suffering
and I am unable to calm him and make him purr. This
cat was far from that condition when I took him to the
vet last Monday. He had, and still has, a huge appetite
loves to be petted, and has plenty of energy. To advocate
killing a cat simply because of a positive test result, with
no other symptoms, would be criminal in my opinion.