Mom visits for a week, cats go catatonic

Old September 27th 13, 06:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

Default Mom visits for a week, cats go catatonic

My 85 year old mother is visiting for the week, which is mostly why I
haven't been posting. We've been hitting all the museums and galleries
- my art quota for the year has been exceeded with three months still
to go.

Scooter came down from my bedroom to say hello within 20 minutes of
her arrival. Nipsy took four days, skulking around and spying on Mom
from various hiding places but yesterday he apparently decided that
she was just another piece of furniture and has been visible although
not to the petting stage.

Even Marlo, the most skittish of the brood, began showing her pretty
face yesterday. So Mom arrived Friday and it only took until Wednesday
before the skittish members of the household decided that she doesn't
bite. They're wrong, but her bite tends to be more mental.

She's here until Sunday morning and today is solo at the house since I
had to go to work today for a very important meeting that just got
cancelled. Worse, she's having a friend over.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to come up with some special temptations
to reward them for their tolerance.
Old September 27th 13, 07:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 9/27/2013 1:02 PM, dgk wrote:
[...]

Treats might be nice.

I can sort of relate. I don't know about your mother but my mom had
never been around cats. Many years ago, my parents drove from SC to TN
for a visit. We were all gathered at my oldest brother's house. He had
a couple of cats. One of them suddenly jumped up on Mom's lap. She
looked at me and said, "What do I do now?" "Pet her!"

After I moved here and was finally able to bring Persia with me, Persia
was, at first, very skittish. She didn't know what to make of my
mother. It was obvious Mom didn't quite know what to make of her,
either. They didn't become fast friends but they did fine. (Especially
after I wound up in the hospital in and Mom had to feed her and attempt
to keep the litter box clean.)

After Mom broke her hip, when she came home from the hospital one of the
first things she said to me was, "Where's *our* cat?" EBG

Jill
Old September 27th 13, 11:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 9/27/2013 1:02 PM, dgk wrote:
[...]

LOL! They have a way of converting non-cat people if they want to. My
parents were always dog people. One time when they came for a visit,
Pyewacket (RB) jumped into my Dad's lap, curled up and started purring. He
was entranced. He started calling Pye "Puppy-cat". When I talked to him
after that, he'd always ask how the puppy-cat was doing.

Joy

Old September 28th 13, 08:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"dgk" wrote in message
[...]

I can only say that when my mother died suddenly, I wished I still had her
to be such a nuisance.
You won't have her for ever so value her while you can.

Tweed

Old September 30th 13, 06:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 20:28:34 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Oh yes, Several times I thought just that when I was about to go
berzerk. Teaching her how to take out library books on her Kindle Fire
involved several of those times. It iisn't really straightforward
though, but I know nothing about the Kindle HD nor how to take out
books so it was a learning experience. By then Scooter was willing to
offer his advice.
Old October 1st 13, 12:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
[...]

Oh dear! I don't know how old your mother is, but some people are
simply not geared towards fancy technology.

When it comes to taking out library books, there's nothing like going to
the library. An actual library! You browse the shelves, looking for
titles, subjects or authors of interest. Look in the card catalog.
Libraries are wonderful places I don't read books on the computer,
either. I love holding a book in my hands.

Jill
Old October 1st 13, 05:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
[...]

The attitude towards technology varies by individual; it isn't just a
matter of age. I gave my parents a computer, and, as far as I could
tell, they never turned it on. On the other hand, my father's older
brother loved email, since it meant that he could send letters to his
friends and get back a response the same day, and without having to pay
postage charges.

--
John F. Eldredge --
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
Old October 1st 13, 05:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
[...]

Oh, I'm not dissing technology. Of course it varies by individual. I
worked as a software support analyst for many years. I also did QA testing.

When my father was in his 70's he wanted to get a computer. My mother
nixed that idea, saying it would just be one more thing for her to dust!
LOL I'm pretty sure he would have been extremely frustrated by it. At
any rate, he didn't have any old pals left to email letters to. His
surviving sister didn't even own a coffee maker, much less a computer.
It would have been a waste of money.

I like holding a book in my hand. I read a lot of books.

Jill
Old October 1st 13, 06:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
[...]

My mother had a computer before I did. I think she was in her 70s at the
time.

Joy

Old October 1st 13, 06:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
[...]

I read a lot of books, too. I own a Kindle, which is great for traveling (I
don't have to lug so many books around), but I much prefer real books at
home.

Both computers and books have their uses, and I take full advantage of both.

Joy

Sam Visits TED Marina Cat anecdotes 8 August 22nd 06 03:26 AM
Question about new cats I just got about a week ago O.G Cat health & behaviour 3 August 10th 05 09:37 AM