Cat Litter Question

Old March 17th 11, 03:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rockinghorse Winner[_5_]

Default Cat Litter Question

Shopping for cat litter, I notice that there are two basic kinds of the non
clumping kind (the cheap kind!): regualar and scented (multi-cat).

I am confused as to why it is marketed this way. wouldn't the highly scented
kind be the preferable type for MOST cat owners, whether they have 1,2, or
more cats? Who, especially those like me who live in an apt., would not
prefer the litter that has more perfume?!

I realize some people may be allergic to scented litter, and some more may
just not like the scent, but I would guess these are a minority. Why is the
scented litter marketed as 'multi-cat,' rather than the less scented stuff
sold as 'unscented,' 'hypoallergenic' or something like that?

*R* *H*
--
Powered by Linux |/ 2.6.32.26-175 Fedora 12
"No spyware. No viruses. No nags." |/ 2.6.31.12-0.2 OpenSUSE 11.2
Old March 17th 11, 04:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 07:51:42 -0700, Rockinghorse Winner
wrote:

Shopping for cat litter, I notice that there are two basic kinds of the non
clumping kind (the cheap kind!): regualar and scented (multi-cat).

I am confused as to why it is marketed this way. wouldn't the highly scented
kind be the preferable type for MOST cat owners, whether they have 1,2, or
more cats? Who, especially those like me who live in an apt., would not
prefer the litter that has more perfume?!

I realize some people may be allergic to scented litter, and some more may
just not like the scent, but I would guess these are a minority. Why is the
scented litter marketed as 'multi-cat,' rather than the less scented stuff
sold as 'unscented,' 'hypoallergenic' or something like that?

*R* *H*

Some cats are allergic to the scented variety of litter, as well as
some people, I suppose. Kittens especially, should not be using
scented. I've been experimenting with different litters after reading
that some cats might have problems with the clumping clay kinds. So
far, the best litter I've used is Swheat Scoop.

http://swheatscoop.com/
Old March 17th 11, 10:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Terry[_2_]

Rockinghorse Winner wrote:
Shopping for cat litter, I notice that there are two basic kinds of the non
clumping kind (the cheap kind!): regualar and scented (multi-cat).

I am confused as to why it is marketed this way. wouldn't the highly scented
kind be the preferable type for MOST cat owners, whether they have 1,2, or
more cats? Who, especially those like me who live in an apt., would not
prefer the litter that has more perfume?!

I realize some people may be allergic to scented litter, and some more may
just not like the scent, but I would guess these are a minority. Why is the
scented litter marketed as 'multi-cat,' rather than the less scented stuff
sold as 'unscented,' 'hypoallergenic' or something like that?

*R* *H*

Many cats don't like scented litter and will be reluctant to use it.
This is one reason you may have a cat that prefers the carpet in the corner.
I have to use unscented litter or I will have problems with at least one
of my nine cats.
Some of that scented stuff is so strong it bothers me. I can only
imagine what my cats with their more developed sense of smell think of it.
Terry
Old March 18th 11, 03:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 16:41:00 -0500, Terry
wrote:

Rockinghorse Winner wrote:
[...]

I can't figure out all the different varieties of litter, but I assume
that perfumed ones are for people who don't clean the box regularly.
As for Multi-Cat vs Instant De-smell vs Long Lasting, I think it's all
just marketing fluff.

I have two "boxes" and four cats. One is an actual litter box and I've
been using the Arm and Hammer Essentials, which is a non-clay clumping
litter. It isn't really as good as clay, but I've read that clay
litter is bad for the environment as well as us and the cats, so I
scoop more often and it works fine.

The other "box" is a Litter Robot (not a Litter Maid which is crap).
That does not work well with non-clay litters so I do need to use clay
with that but it uses very little litter so at least it minimizes the
badness.
Old March 18th 11, 09:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene

The "formula" of clumpable litters is all about marketing. IMO cats
shouldn't be using scented litter. Their sense of smell is ten times
stronger than ours. I can't stand scented litters, so imagine how it
smells to them. Unscented only for our household.

Rene
Old March 19th 11, 01:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Rockinghorse Winner" wrote in message
Shopping for cat litter, I notice that there are two basic kinds of the
non
clumping kind (the cheap kind!): regualar and scented (multi-cat).

I am confused as to why it is marketed this way. wouldn't the highly
scented
kind be the preferable type for MOST cat owners, whether they have 1,2, or
more cats? Who, especially those like me who live in an apt., would not
prefer the litter that has more perfume?!

I realize some people may be allergic to scented litter, and some more may
just not like the scent, but I would guess these are a minority. Why is
the
scented litter marketed as 'multi-cat,' rather than the less scented stuff
sold as 'unscented,' 'hypoallergenic' or something like that?

*R* *H*
--

I can't answer your specific question, but I can tell you that I look for as
little scent as possible (preferably none). Litter that is kept scooped and

MaryL

Old March 19th 11, 04:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MLB[_2_]

MaryL wrote:

[...]

A couple of months ago, I tried a different litter. TuTu was allergic
to it. She did a lot of sneezing and got a stuffed up nose. I went
back to World's Best Litter and she cleared up at once. MLB
Old March 23rd 11, 03:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rockinghorse Winner[_5_]

* It may have been the liquor talking, but
MLB wrote:

MaryL wrote:

[...]

Thanks to all for the new perspective! I'll be using the 'less scented'
varieties for now on.

*R* *H*

Old April 13th 11, 03:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gz

On Mar 18, 11:46*pm, MLB wrote:
MaryL wrote:

[...]

I'm Leary of dusty litter. I tried pine rod litter once and one cat
did not understand what it was for, but neat stuff.
Some cheap litters are too dusty.

Greg

Litter mat question Joy Cat anecdotes 16 February 18th 11 08:54 AM
Litter question Lesley Cat anecdotes 6 November 25th 09 10:26 PM
Litter box Question KittyLady Cat anecdotes 7 April 26th 05 02:12 PM
Litter box question [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 11 March 14th 05 08:08 PM
Litter box question Just a guy and his cat Cat health & behaviour 14 November 9th 04 01:27 AM