Purrs for a cat in a large doggy suit

Old August 22nd 08, 03:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

Default UPDATE Purrs for a cat in a large doggy suit

"Yowie" wrote in message
Yowie wrote:
Fluffy is a cat. She *knows* she's a cat. Just that she barks when
visitors come around rather than hissing, and wags her tail when she's
happy rather than angry, and has lost her dignity somewhere, and doesn't
seem to be able as well as the other cats, but she's really a cat in her
heart of hearts, honest.

And she has to go to TED tomorrow morning. One of her gorgeous velvety
floppy ears has inexplicably filled with fluid, and is causing her pain.
I fear that its not something simple as getting her floppy ears bent a
bit too far back, and its something far more sinister that will take her
away, because it only just occured to me she's now 10 or so, and thats an
old lady in doggy terms, particular the bigger breeds (she's a cross
between a border collie and an Australian Cattledog).

She's never had any health problems except an allergy to fleas for all
the time we've had her. And I don't want to lose her now. I'm probably
just totally paranoid, but, well, you know how I feel. Fearful of a
diagnosis that I don't want to hear.

Purrs, tail wags and drool would be welcome.

She's back home. She had a build up of hair in her left ear, which caused
the irritation, and thereby the haematoma. They've cut it, and have sewn
on (with many many stitches) a peice of foam that is designed to keep it
both flat and to absorb any further leakage.

Whilst wobbly coming from TED, she was very happy to see us and no longer
has that worried, "please Mama I need something from you, please read my
mind and guess what it is" look about her, but rather, her usuall lovingly
vacant look. After all, if she's feeling OK and she's with the pack that
is also feeling OK, then the world is a wonderful place to be.

Otherwise she's in good shape for an old lady (apprantly she's about 83 in
human years if she was a 'big' dog (and at 35kg, she's considered a big
dog). I look at her and can't see *any* signs of old age, so I don't
believe it. She'd be 50 at best)

Thanks for the purrs, wags, drool, and hte prayers & thoughts. Its
appreciated. I know I worry too much, but they're my furbabies.

Yowie

So glad and relieved. I did a little research, and found out that it's the
same phenomenon in humans that causes the boxer's "cauliflower ear."

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old August 22nd 08, 03:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Default Purrs for a cat in a large doggy suit

"Yowie" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:
"Yowie" wrote in message
[...]

"because its more fun to be evil" - Jarppi, _The Dudesons_

I don't want to start another flame war in the group over this issue,
so I'll just post this link once and leave it at that. You can read
it if you'd like or totally ignore it - but this is an alternate view
of treatment of hematomas in dogs:

http://www.dolittler.com/index.cfm/2...oma.veterinary

snip

So next time you're faced with the itch and stress of Miss Blackie's
condition, consider all your alternatives. Every vet's going to have a
different take, no doubt, but as always, you should listen to your
options, ask good questions and never listen to your neighbor-that
ear's not going to explode (I promise).

Thanks for that info, and I did get to discuss it with the vet. He agreed
that it would eventually go down by itself, leaving a 'cauliflower' ear.
However, his points against doing that we a) Fluffy was in obvious
discomfort at the moment due to the pressure and that b) leaving it to its
own devices doesn't address the cause. Now, if the cause was just a minor
injury to the ear flap, fair enough, but in this case, there was some ear
irritation and something down in her ear canal (which is probably what
caused the irritation), which he'd get whilst she was under aneasthetic.
I'd also prefer her not to have a cauliflower ear if it could be avoided.

I did appreciate knowing there was a choice, though, and thankyou.

Whilst down there, we met Molly, an utterly grogeous 4 year old long
haired German Shephard. She was very gentle and loving, and glady suffered
Cary's loving attention toward her. Her owners had spent a small fourtune
on chemotherapy for her lymphoma, and at one point thought that it had
been successful. But it had come back with a vengeance, and today was the
day Molly's battle with her disease was ended. I cried with them, and am
going to light a candle for Molly tonight. Molly was the best friend of
her owner's granddaughter, who will be heartbroken that her best mate has
gone to heaven.

Darn I hate going to TED.

Yowie

Awwww, that's always so sad to hear. Purrs coming for Molly's family - it's
*SO* hard to lose a loved one.

Nose Kisses,

CatNipped

Old August 23rd 08, 03:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Yowie" wrote in message
Yowie wrote:
[...]

Glad you said what caused it. I'd forgotten about ear fur. I've
always had poodles before and the groomer always dealt with pulling
out the ear fur and the anal glands.

Guess I should take Kayla in for a bath, even if I know she will be
playing in the water and running in the dirt an hour after I get her
home.

Jo

Old August 24th 08, 03:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 17:21:55 +1000, Yowie wrote:

[...]

We shall send our est purrs for Fluffy to be cured of her ailment. Best
wishes. MLB
Old August 24th 08, 06:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sam

So glad to hear that it went well.

Sam, supervised by Mistletoe
Old August 26th 08, 11:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

"Yowie" wrote in message
[...]

Lots of healing purrs,
Polonca and Soncek