rec.pets.cats.breeds

Old September 7th 03, 09:27 PM
Cheryl

In ,
Misty9999 composed with style:

There is much more to it than simply saying " The rules are you
can't flame purebred cat owners or breeders". On Usenet , it is all
about
signal to noise ratio. Nutrition, Declaw , early neuter, alternative
medicine etc. are all important topics. Some of these topics lead
long drawn out vicious flame wars. Since they are NOT
breed-specific , I don't see how they would normally belong in a "
breeds group " I
could be wrong.

I think you are. According to you, purebred cats should follow a
different schedule for neutering than ordinary cats.

"This post is going to get me flamed. I don't really care. I have
eight
Cats. Two Maine Coons, two Siamese and four shelter adopted cats. The
Maine coon is a slow growing cat. Most Maine Coon breeders don't
recommend neutering a male until the age of NINE months. Male cats of
any type are normally not neutered until six months.

A few Maine Coon breeders have capitulated to the early neuter crowd.
They are afraid of back yard breeders. This argument has some merit ,
but I don't think you should do something that has NO proven benefit
and could be detrimental.

I have seen the results of early neutering in male Maine coons. Some
appear to attain normal growth. Others are clearly smaller and less
developed because of early neuter. In the case of mixed breeds , it is
impossible to tell if the procedure has detrimental effects at this
time."
/copy & paste

Old September 7th 03, 10:36 PM
Noreen Cooper

In news.groups BarB wrote:
: On 7 Sep 2003 01:25:12 GMT, Noreen Cooper
: wrote:

: You could be right, but if it is to be moderated at all, I wouldn't want
: to see any abusive posts. I'd hate the proposal to lose votes over
: moderation though. Votes are going to be scarce enough as it is. Perhaps
: the proponent should run a straw poll by email to gauge potential
: traffic.

A straw poll is definitely in order. Favorable results can only enhance
the RFD. I'd cast the net beyond the rpc groups and also poll some of the
yahoo groups. Phil set up Feline_Health_and_Behavior on yahoo groups.
The group is supposedly unmoderated but the last time I tried to post it
took several hours before my post appeared. So I'm not sure if that was a
yahoo gaff or if all new members are handmoderated or if everyone is on
handmoderated status then or what. Phil would be a good person to talk to
about moderating a Usenet group since he's been moderating this yahoo
group since May 2001.

Noreen

Old September 8th 03, 01:57 AM
Misty9999

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 16:27:19 -0400, "Cheryl"
wrote:

In ,
Misty9999 composed with style:

There is much more to it than simply saying " The rules are you
can't flame purebred cat owners or breeders". On Usenet , it is all
about
signal to noise ratio. Nutrition, Declaw , early neuter, alternative
medicine etc. are all important topics. Some of these topics lead
long drawn out vicious flame wars. Since they are NOT
breed-specific , I don't see how they would normally belong in a "
breeds group " I
could be wrong.

I think you are. According to you, purebred cats should follow a
different schedule for neutering than ordinary cats.

Actually it is the Maine Coon that is a notoriously slow growing cat.
This might be a topic of discussion. This is why I was trying to point
out that one simple posting rule is not going to make a successful
moderated group. Thank you for pointing that out. I don't believe any
cat should be neutered early . It is NOT a purebred / moggie issue to
me. It * could* be an issue to Maine Coon breeders. It might be an
issue with other breeders. I honestly don't know.

Old September 8th 03, 04:39 AM
Kathy Morgan

Noreen Cooper wrote:

Killfiles are imperfect instruments, IMO. First off, when you decide to
drop someone in your killfile you have forever judged their opinions on
all topics never to be worth reading. That may be wise in some cases but
not all. Secondly, in heated debates even if you've killfiled someone,
you'll be reading their posts in someone else's post, that I'll guarantee
you.

This is completely false. This depends on the newsreader. Mine permits
me to kill just the posts by an individual, or both the individual's
posts and all followups, or subthreads regardless of who the posters
are, or posts with a certain keywords in body or headers, or based on
the crossposting, or ...

--
Kathy - read reviews of other newsgroups in news:news.groups.reviews
help for new users of newsgroups at http://www.aptalaska.net/~kmorgan/