Fibrosarcomas- The Myth Dissolved

Old June 29th 04, 10:37 PM
Cheryl

In the fine newsgroup "rec.pets.cats.health+behav", "Karen"
artfully composed this message within
on 29 Jun 2004:

So in english what does this mean?

Apparently there is some argument about whether specific
manufacturers make vaccinations that are more likely than others to
cause fibrosarcomas. I guess they tested other injectable
medications and found incidents of those also associated with
sarcomas. None of it left me with a warm fuzzy.

Most of what I got out of it was the last paragraph (but I didn't
understand the design and procedure sections fully):

CONCLUSIONS
AND CLINICAL RELEVANCE: Findings do not support the hypotheses
that specific brands or types of vaccine within antigen class,
vaccine practices such as reuse of syringes, concomitant viral
infection, history of trauma, or residence either increase or
decrease the risk of vaccine-associated sarcoma formation in
cats. There was evidence to suggest that certain long-acting
injectable medications may also be associated with sarcoma
formation.

--
Cheryl

Old June 29th 04, 10:38 PM
Osiris Virus

(-L. wrote in message . com...
(Osiris Virus) wrote in message . com...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q..._uids=14621215

***

J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2003 Nov 1;223(9):1283-92.

snip

I wonder what vaccine manufacturer funded this study, LOL...

Actually, the study was supported by the Vaccine Associate Feline
Sarcoma Task Force, the DuBee Cancer Fund, the George and Phyllis
Miller Feline Health Fund, the Center for Companion Animal Health, and
UC Davis. No outside manufacturer was a part of this.

It's important to note that one of the original proponents of the
theory that sarcomas were caused by adjuvants, or vaccines for that
matter, was Dr. Kass. Now, 10 years later, he has performed a study
which refutes his previous conclusion.

As far as opportunism regarding vaccine manufacturers, it is a moot
point right now, as there are currently NO non-adjuvanted FeLV
vaccines on the market, now that Merial has taken Purevax Leucat away.
Of the major companies, Schering-Plough has Fevaxyn (aqueous based
adjuvant), Fort Dodge has Felovax LVK (dual oil adjuvant), and Pfizer
has Leukocell 2 (aluminum hydroxide adjuvant).

Old June 29th 04, 10:51 PM
Yngver

Cheryl wrote:

[...]

I read about this in either Catnip or Ca****ch, I forget which. The study was
looking for a relationship between types and brands of vaccines and their
administration, and the development of fibrosarcomas. They did not find
evidence of correlation other than perhaps temperature of the vaccine (if I
recall). Interestingly, they found incidences of sarcomas with other injectable
medications such as prednisone, so this brings into question whether it is the
vaccines themselves or some aspect of any long-term injected medication that
may induce a fibrosarcoma.