Kitty Won't Stop BITING me and CHEWING on fabric!

Old October 2nd 04, 12:16 PM
Mimi Yeung

It so happens I adopted a kitten four months ago and she is now 6 months
old, and I suffer from similar problems. She doesn't like petting as much
as she loves biting me. When she is bored, she likes "enticing" me into the
bedroom by meowing miserably, then she hides herself behind the blankets,
pillows or whatever on the bed getting ready to strike. She jumps out all
of a suddenly at one of my hands and bites it. To add excitement for her, I
would dodge a few times before letting her get my hand. It's all a game and
hinting practice she needs instinctively.

This biting actually started soon after I adopted her. It's just that she
was tiny then and her bites didn't cause much pain. About two months ago, I
began to think it a behavioral problem that needs to be corrected. I tried
stopping her in an angry voice and flicking her nose but to no avail, so the
only choice I had was give up playing when the biting got serious. Maybe
she has learnt from this, or maybe she is maturing, her bites and attacks
are gradually getting milder. She seems to be able to distinguish faked
cries and real cries of pain. I notice that when she gets really excited,
she will hold and scratch and bite the pillow hard instead me.

I actually talked to my vet about this biting problem two months ago when
the situation was in its worst, and he said unlike dogs, cats normally
prefers using their claws to showing their teeth. The incessant biting is
likely to be a temporary behavior caused by teething. This may explain why
my kitten is now easier on me now that her teething process has almost come
to an end.

So, I believe the biting and chewing and scratching are all aspects of
kitties' growth which you can't change and yet need not be worried about.
I hope you can clench your teeth in the coming two to three months, trying
to minimize your loss by taking all the precautions possible while enjoying
the process, like I do. I'm sure when she has grown into an independent big
lazy cat, I'll miss those troubled days when she bothered to struggle with
me.

"Jill" ???
om ???...
Please help! We adopted Roscoe at the pound 3 months ago. He is now
5 months old. He is a very active and healthy little guy, was
neutered promptly when we adopted him, has a good appetite and gets
lots of play from us and our dog (whom we adopted at the same time).
At first I figured the biting was a kitten thing. A play thing. But
he WILL NOT STOP. In fact, he seems to have a split personality. It
isn't when he's worked up that he bites. It's the opposite. For
example, he'll come snuggle and relax for 10 or 15 minutes and then
all of a sudden attack my hand or my leg or whatever is closest.
He'll latch on and it's hard to peel him off. He has learned to use
his scratch posts, uses the litter box, keeps off the kitchen table,
and is very, very sweet but this behavior is not getting better.
We've tried replacing human limbs with those of stuffed animals. He's
not interested. We've tried the squirt bottle. It isn't sinking in.

In addition to this, he has completely destroyed 3 sets of
pillowcases. He chews on the corners of them. Someone suggested this
may have to do with a definciency in his diet but we feed him a
natural and balanced kibble and he only does it while we are in bed at
night.

He is a good kitty 90% of the time but I'm afraid we won't be able to
have kids around this cat and it might be best to try to find a new
home for him now rather than later. He is an indoor cat. Would
letting him outside help? We live in an area in L.A. where cats
easily become coyote snacks which is why we haven't let him out.

What to do to keep kitty? Or is he Jeckyll and Hyde?

Thanks,
Jill

Old October 2nd 04, 03:30 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Mimi Yeung at
wrote on 10/2/04 6:16AM:

[...]

That's how they learn. As SOON as biting starts, yell OWWWW and completely
stop play and ignore. They learn very quickly that it's not ok to bite.
These are solo kitties so they don't have any other way to learn biting
hurts as they would if they were playing with another cat. My cats have very
soft mouths now. The one I have that does bite (but not hard) is not one I
raised but got as an adult. If she bites, everything stops. Even she is
learning biting gets being ignored.

Old October 2nd 04, 06:01 PM
Mary

"Karen Chuplis" wrote in message
in article , Mimi Yeung at
wrote on 10/2/04 6:16AM:

[...]

Karen is right. The kittens bite you because you have not trained them not
to.
Period.

Old October 3rd 04, 08:29 AM
Sherry

He is a good kitty 90% of the time but I'm afraid we won't be able to
have kids around this cat and it might be best to try to find a new
home for him now rather than later.

If you can't put up with him, really, how can you expect someone else to? He's
a baby. You have to teach him. Don't give him *any* attention when he bites.
Put him on the floor and ignore him. Never use your hands to play...always use
a toy for pouncing and playing. It won't be that hard to train him. And as he
matures, grows older and settles down, it will get even easier. You just have
to be persistent and patient.

Sherry

Old October 4th 04, 06:55 AM
Jill

Gee, you're so friendly and helpful. Thanks so much for taking the
time to read my message and post a reply not only useful for me but
for everyone else reading this. You're obviously someone who not only
knows everything one could possibly know about raising kittens and
children, but are also incredibly patient, generous, and
compassionate! I sure do wish there were more people like you in this
world. You're the greatest!

Old October 4th 04, 07:01 AM
Jill

Thanks for your reply. Helpful words from your vet.