Need ideas for cat toys

Old February 25th 09, 07:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Need ideas for cat toys

I'm trying to keep Persia active. Keep in mind there is no PetCo or
PetSmart store within 50 miles of here. I love her but I'm not driving over
100 miles (to/from) just to buy cat toys. So I'm shopping online.

She loves the little toy mousies I get from Walgreen's (that's only 12 miles
away and I go there when I also shop for groceries and seem to buy her
mousies all the time). But those mousies disappear... sometimes they
reappear, sometimes they don't. She loved those crinkly mylar balls I used
to get for her at PetCo, but I had to buy the big ones so they wouldn't get
lost under or behind furniture. I'm forever fishing "mousies" out from
under furniture.

She doesn't like anything battery operated. She was terrified of that
"thing in a bag". She quickly got bored with the laser pointer.

I need something more to give Persia more exercise. That track ball thing,
maybe? There's no place to hang dangling toys, except maybe those doorknob
dangling things... hmmm. I'll look into those.

Any other suggestions for toys to entertain her? I'm fairly sendentary so I
don't run around the house with fishing poles that dangle feathers or things
like that.

Jill

Old February 25th 09, 07:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kraut

[...]

Mine love playing in bags and / or boxes. Just avoid the plastics
ones with holes for handles or cut them so they do not get them caught
around themselves.

Old February 25th 09, 07:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Jill of all the toys I have bought mine love a simple toy. I take a empty
toilet paper roll or paper towel roll and tie a string thru it and tie the
feathers that they have ripped off the other toys. At least one of them
will drag it through the house with the other in tow behind. One will grab
it and away they go.

Or the replacement Venetian blind piece under a rug. They go nuts. All I
have to do is sit there and run it back and forth at least one of them will
jump it tempting the others.

I guess I am lucky that they might be finicky but have cheap taste

Old February 25th 09, 08:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

How dangerous would it be where you live now to let her out? Lie aside how
much it freaks you because it's normal to keep cats in, can you start to let
her out?

Tweed

Old February 25th 09, 08:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Uh, no. There are alligators here. They tend to eat small animals. And
sometimes people.

Jill

Old February 25th 09, 08:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
ScratchMonkey

"jmcquown" wrote in news:70lkdiFblhk4U1
@mid.individual.net:

She doesn't like anything battery operated. She was terrified of that
"thing in a bag". She quickly got bored with the laser pointer.

How does she handle flashing balls?

My most successful toy ever was the Bergan Star Chaser. They make a version
with a regular (non-flashing non-electric) ball called the Turbo Chaser.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3200132

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2753802

Both have a scratch pad in the center that gets a lot of use. Far more than
any other scratcher toy I've deployed. Replacement cardboard pads are
available, as is a replacement ball for when the battery for the light
inside dies.

If you're a light sleeper, don't put this near your bedroom. It will get
used all night long.
Old February 25th 09, 08:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Tie a piece of foil or newspaper to the end of a string. Walk around
the house once in a while with it trailing behind you. If she is
interested and you get bored, tie it to a door knob for a while.

For that matter, when I was playing with the cats with the feather on
a fishing pole thing I made, I was sick in bed. Lots of effort on
their part for very little on mine.

We do get a lot of mileage out of the round track ball thing once in a
while. Then they pretend it doesn't exist for a while.

Will she play with a red laser pointer dot? That's good for a while
around here, and then we have to remember it a few months later.

Jo

Old February 25th 09, 09:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_3_]

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 14:24:57 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

[...]

A rabbit's foot on the end of a 2-3 yard (meter) piece of heavy - sturdy
- twine is the favorite of most of my cats, and it can easily be used
while seated: just hold the end of the twine and throw the foot out, then
retrieve it slowly across the floor. The cats do manage to destroy them
so having several rabbit's feet on hand is a good idea. I suspect that
stuffed mice could be adapted to the same idea, but with less
survivability. There are probably other things that could be used on the
end of the heavy twine (heavy enough that if they get it in their mouths,
they can spit it out, and strong enough that they can't easily cut it with
their teeth).

--
T.E.D. )

Old February 25th 09, 09:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

What they'll like all depends on the cat, and sometimes how *many* cats you
have (for instance no one of my cats likes the tunnel when they're by
themselves, but they LURVE to play in it with another cat). Ozzy like the
plastic caps from water bottles - we've never watched a night of TV where we
weren't hearing that skidding noise coming from his playing hockey in the
kitchen. All of them love the laser pointer (though Demi doesn't chase it
like the rest do), but Jessie and Ozzy like it across the floor, Jessie and
Archer like it on the stairs, and Sammy and Ozzy like it on the walls.
Sammy likes the furry rope on a stick with the birdie on the end of the
rope. Ozzy likes the big feather stick. And Archer likes his poor little
denuded feather stick (which no longer has any feathers on 3 straggly little
streamers).

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old February 25th 09, 09:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

That's scary. Have there ever been any alligators in your yard chasing you
or Persia? I suspect not.
Do you have mountain lions there that will eat her or anything else that
will eat a cat?
If not give her a chance to experience the out.

Tweed

Wow!!! All tha toys!! meeee Cat community 2 January 3rd 07 11:32 PM
Ideas for creative mechanized cat toys bslade Cat health & behaviour 3 December 29th 06 08:49 PM
Any Ideas? CatNipped Cat health & behaviour 18 November 14th 06 07:33 PM
Cat Toys kilikini Cat anecdotes 7 August 1st 06 03:20 PM
Fat Cat toys P C Cat anecdotes 10 January 20th 06 12:05 AM