I'm much happier about Boyfie

Old August 16th 15, 05:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default I'm much happier about Boyfie

"Lesley Madigan" wrote in message
Gourmet Perle is an occasional treat-they both love it but it only comes
in small portions- they had some recently when Spirit seemed a little off
colour (you know when her BCT led to a thermometer up the jacksy at the
vets) but it's not a regular thing-it's rather like ham, which they both

love but I limit it mostly to birthdays/Xmas/ now and again if we're
having some (And we don't eat it that often)I certainly wouldn't feed
them it on a regular basis.

I don't see why they shouldn't get ham and Gourmet Perle occasionally for a
treat, especially for birthdays/Xmas & when something nasty has been done at
the vet ;-)

I checked the Co-Op food and it's the same as Kit-e-Cat

That's interesting, I'll have a look at it myself. Boyfie might like it.

I usually feed Whiskas

so do I

and Spirit gets her Hills hypoallergenic dry, it's really done wonders
for her skin- the only other explanation was fleas causing her to
overgroom but the vet found none on her and none were found on Bonnie but
I did a treatment to be on the safe side. Her bald patches are regrowing
and she's not hiding as she was- she's currently watching telly on Dave's
lap

That's good news. Lennie-the-poodle had skin trouble on his feet plus the
most dreadful bowels that I had to clear up after. I nagged and nagged his
owner about it, to take him to the vet and get it all sorted out. Many had
tried and failed, but she did it in the end. To shut me up ;-)
He had allergy tests and he was allergic to a a lot of the components in the
diet he was getting and changing his diet sorted out his digestive problems.
It's surprising what the correct diet can do(says the person who nearly
starved her own cat accidentally :-( )

He was also found to be very allergic to dustmites, so his blanket in his
bed gets washed 3 times a week. His toes have improved.

I also put a little Whiskas dry down for Bonnie when Spirit is getting her
Hills. When Bonnie arrived she refused to touch dry but when she sees
Spirit getting some she wants some so I have some Whiskas dental to put in
her dish at the same time

I think dry is Ok for girls but I'm still not sure about giving boycats much
of it. There is lots of evidence to suggest that the salts it produces can
block their much narrow urethra, but my vet says to give him his wet, and
free feed him on dry for now, so I'm trusting her on this.
It's certainly led to a weight increase which is what we were after.

Tweed

Old August 16th 15, 05:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Takayuki" wrote in message
On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 00:15:58 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
If, when he regains his weight, he maintains it without being stuffed with
food all the time, I will not feed him senior food again. If he doesn't,
then we are still looking at a medical issue.
I didn't realise that senior food was reduced in calories and I think it
should be made more clear on the box or can that it is. I thought that
as
he was getting older it would be better for him and maybe it is for some
cats, but not for him as he is an active cat and feeding him on it made
him
lose weight and become ill.

It sounds like it's marketed for senior *American* cats.

I do remember reading on senior food labels before that they're reduced
calories - well, it didn't say that directly, but I think said that it was
for older cats with reduced activity. But now that you mention it, that
makes me a bit skeptical too - many older cats lose weight anyway as they
get older.

I'm going to weigh him later today. He's out atm. Last week he was up to
4.3kg from 3.89. He is purely sick of food now so his weight gain is likely
to slow down. He even only eats a bit of his Sheba now (birthday and illness
food)

His ideal weight is around 4.5. I'd like to get him back up to that and for
him to maintain it on the portions he should normally have.
If he doesn't, we are still looking at thyroid.

Old August 17th 15, 05:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article ,
Christina Websell wrote:

"Judith Latham" wrote in message

Sorry I haven't responded to your ealier posts but my mum was rushed to
hospital last Thursday after a fall and it's been rather chaotic.

Sorry to hear this, what a worry, will she be OK? I hope so.

I don't think she'll be ok. She says she's had enough and is now telling
everyone to leave her alone including the nurses who have been great.
Yesterday she told my niece to go away she didn't want her there. At least
I have my sister, niece and nephew who are sharing the load.

I'm really sorry to hear this. If she is compos mentis, I suppose her
wishes must be respected. My own mother went to bed healthy and never woke
up, aged 75. Her worst fear was having to go into residential care or to be
a burden to her children, so that never happened. But it was a huge shock.
My thoughts are with you.

Tweed

Old August 17th 15, 06:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

On 8/17/2015 4:09 AM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article ,
Christina Websell wrote:

"Judith Latham" wrote in message

Sorry I haven't responded to your ealier posts but my mum was rushed to
hospital last Thursday after a fall and it's been rather chaotic.

Sorry to hear this, what a worry, will she be OK? I hope so.

I don't think she'll be ok. She says she's had enough and is now telling
everyone to leave her alone including the nurses who have been great.
Yesterday she told my niece to go away she didn't want her there. At least
I have my sister, niece and nephew who are sharing the load.

Judith

This must be very hard on you. I'll keep you all in my thoughts and
prayers.

Joy
Old August 17th 15, 08:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 8/14/2015 4:32 PM, Lesley Madigan wrote:
I am still mystified that senior cat food is aimed at cats 8 or older- 8
isn't that old for a cat. On that basis Isis (RB) was a senior for more
than half her life I told her this when she was 16 and she was too busy
chasing her tail to reply....

LOL about Isis chasing her tail. I agree, 8 isn't that old. I suspect
it's just another way to sell cat food. Boyfie is obviously very active
and doesn't need lower calorie food.

I'm glad to hear he's feeling better and it was nothing serious.

This might not be the case yet. It depends on whether he maintains his
weight when his food is reduced to normal amounts. He has certainly
increased weight by being overfed, but now it's upsetting his bowels so it's
going to be reduced. We'll see what happens.
If he loses weight on a normal diet which he will now have (not senior) then
we have to consider a medical issue might be the cause.
My own thinking is that he is OK, and it was my own fault for feeding him
senior food, which was not enough. I have e-mailed Mars who make Whiskas
today to ask about whether 7+ food is reduced calorie. I am awaiting a
reply. They usually reply. I only mailed them once before about the Iams
scandal; and they got back to me, so I think they will do so again.
I'll let you all know what they say.

Tweed

he maintsin his wa

Old August 17th 15, 09:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article , Joy
wrote:
On 8/14/2015 12:36 PM, Judith Latham wrote:

Sorry I haven't responded to your ealier posts but my mum was rushed
to hospital last Thursday after a fall and it's been rather chaotic.

Judith

I'm sorry to hear about your mum. I hope she'll be okay.

Joy

Mom isn't good but she's 95 years old so she can't recover easily.

Judith

I understand. I hope she isn't in a lot of pain.

Joy

I don't think she's in pain but I think this is the end.

Please let it not be so.

Old August 17th 15, 09:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I've read for years on this ng and in articles in Cat Fancy and online
about cats about how changes in food and feeding habits can bother some
cats. Truly, it could be as simple as the food issue. That's what I'm
purring for. But yes, please do let us know what you find out.

Jill
Old August 17th 15, 10:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I am hoping that Mars come back and say yes, 7+ food is reduced calorie. If
it isn't, Boyfie will have to have blood tests. I simply cannot keep
overfeeding him, of course he eats everything he can but three weeks of it
is upsetting his tummy and both of us think "it's enough now"
He has gained lots of weight so the vet likely was right about advising me
to stuff him with food rather than jump to conclusions about thyroid quite
yet.
We'll see how he goes.

Old August 19th 15, 06:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
JJ[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

tHank you. She's not compos mentis. she was losing it before this and now
she's largely out of it with a few moments of knowing who we are. Luckily
she's been not too bad when my youngest great niece and nephew (10 and 12
years old) have been to see her. She thought I was her mother on Saturday
when I last went yet eating chips when my nephew and family went on
Saturday evening. I'm going today, we're taking it in turns to go. Like
your mother she always feared having to go into hospital or a residential
care.

Judith

My thoughts and prayers are with you all during this difficult time.

Joy

As are mine.

Jay

Old August 19th 15, 06:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

OT - On a Happier Note CatNipped[_2_] Cat anecdotes 7 April 30th 11 04:11 PM
OT Why Men are Happier Kreisleriana Cat anecdotes 8 December 23rd 05 04:28 AM
Happier cat Susan M Cat anecdotes 4 October 31st 05 11:02 PM
Happier Cat One Can Sam via CatKB.com Cat health & behaviour 1 September 14th 05 10:23 PM
Happier tidings Exocat Cat anecdotes 12 November 25th 03 07:58 PM