I think she's mellowing out

Old November 22nd 05, 05:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default I think she's mellowing out

DH's parents are here for the week, and Oscar is none too pleased to
have intruders in the house.

As of about a year ago, any visitors whatsoever would have her fleeing
to parts unknown. Most of my guests had to take it on faith that I
even *had* a cat.

Now, though, she's gotten bold. When we're all sitting in the living
room, she's perched on her cat tree, just a few short feet away --
tail twitching madly, but still, she's not in hiding! And when it was
just me and my MIL, she actually came over to brush against MIL's
feet. Wow.

If you have a shy kitty, you can well imagine how impressed I am with
my little girl. It's almost like she's saying, "Fine, you can have
your stupid intruder guests, but *I'm* not about to give up my comfy
spots just because of it!"

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old November 22nd 05, 06:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

So there's still hope for my Yoschi ;-) He's exactly the same. There have
some people been so lucky to see his face from afar, and once he came out of
a hidey hole for my ex husband, who even managed to stroke his head, but
most of the time people see 4 cats instead of 5...........

Nanny

Help Tuatha de Dannan!!!! Je hoeft alleen maar hier te klikken. :-)
"Monique Y. Mudama" schreef in bericht

Old November 22nd 05, 06:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
Now, though, she's gotten bold. When we're all sitting in the living
room, she's perched on her cat tree, just a few short feet away --
tail twitching madly, but still, she's not in hiding! And when it was
just me and my MIL, she actually came over to brush against MIL's
feet. Wow.

One of the most fascinating things about cats is how they change
over time, as they age and as their relationship with you deepens.
It is something people who don't take care of their cats, or dump
them, never experience because they don't have the cats long
enough.

Old November 22nd 05, 07:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

If you have a shy kitty, you can well imagine how impressed I am with
my little girl. It's almost like she's saying, "Fine, you can have
your stupid intruder guests, but *I'm* not about to give up my comfy
spots just because of it!"

Go Oscar! Miranda is shy the first few minutes anyone comes in the door
- sometimes she will even hide when I get home from work. But after
she's monitored the situation from her 'secret' hiding place (I know
where it is - behind a bookcase where she can just squeeze in), she
comes out and greets people she knows - my Mum, my sisters, my niece.
She stays hidden if the people are strangers.

--
Marina, Frank, Miranda and Caliban. In loving memory of Nikki.
marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi
Old November 23rd 05, 02:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

If you have a shy kitty, you can well imagine how impressed I am with
my little girl. It's almost like she's saying, "Fine, you can have
your stupid intruder guests, but *I'm* not about to give up my comfy
spots just because of it!"

Ever since Kumani's ordeal at the vet at approx 9 months of age, she
fears that every stranger is packing a rectal thermometer, and steers
clear. This year was the first year she sat prettty at the vet's
instead of trying desperately to hide somewhere.

And Tyche...well...we've had 1 or 2 visitors that /haven't/ been hissed
at and threatened by Little Miss Aggression.

--Fil

Old November 23rd 05, 03:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 22 Nov 2005 18:29:39 -0800, "Enfilade"
wrote:

If you have a shy kitty, you can well imagine how impressed I am with
my little girl. It's almost like she's saying, "Fine, you can have
your stupid intruder guests, but *I'm* not about to give up my comfy
spots just because of it!"

Ever since Kumani's ordeal at the vet at approx 9 months of age, she
fears that every stranger is packing a rectal thermometer, and steers
clear. This year was the first year she sat prettty at the vet's
instead of trying desperately to hide somewhere.

And Tyche...well...we've had 1 or 2 visitors that /haven't/ been hissed
at and threatened by Little Miss Aggression.

--Fil

Cinders has an odd reaction every time I get home. She will come to
the living room (I can hear her meowing through the door), but runs as
I open the door. I see her dashing out of the room. If I speak, she
will then come back into the room and start asking for attention.

My best guess is that she has last-minute doubts: "What if it's a
stranger, instead of John? Oh no...", and then is reassured when she
finds that it really is me. If I am home, and someone comes to visit,
she is friendly towards them. On the few occasions when I have had
someone come to my house to feed Cinders, while I was in the hospital
or out of town, they didn't see any sign of her, meaning that she was
hiding.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from
Old November 23rd 05, 02:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

If you have a shy kitty, you can well imagine how impressed I am with
my little girl. It's almost like she's saying, "Fine, you can have
your stupid intruder guests, but *I'm* not about to give up my comfy
spots just because of it!"

Go Oscar! Miranda is shy the first few minutes anyone comes in the door
- sometimes she will even hide when I get home from work. But after
she's monitored the situation from her 'secret' hiding place (I know
where it is - behind a bookcase where she can just squeeze in), she
comes out and greets people she knows - my Mum, my sisters, my niece.
She stays hidden if the people are strangers.

Fin(RB) used to do that. When he first acquired my home, he used to hide
whenever anyone else came in, but after awhile I learned to just toss
a bag of kitty treats to my friends and tell them to 'make friends'.
After a few years, he learned to greet my friends, and by the time
he died, he would hardly budge from his perch in the window when
anyone came over. Yeah, they mellow over time all right.

Now Rita is right there greeting everyone who comes in the door, winding
around their legs and trying to climb into their bags. Don't know why.
I guess she's never had a bad experience with a person.

Jane
- owned and operated by Princess Rita
Old November 23rd 05, 02:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Jane wrote:

Now Rita is right there greeting everyone who comes in the door, winding
around their legs and trying to climb into their bags. Don't know why.
I guess she's never had a bad experience with a person.

I don't think it's about bad experiences. I've known Miranda since she
was born, and no one ever hurt her. She's just shy, like her mother.

Old November 23rd 05, 02:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Marina wrote:

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

If you have a shy kitty, you can well imagine how impressed I am with
my little girl. It's almost like she's saying, "Fine, you can have
your stupid intruder guests, but *I'm* not about to give up my comfy
spots just because of it!"

Go Oscar! Miranda is shy the first few minutes anyone comes in the door
- sometimes she will even hide when I get home from work. But after
she's monitored the situation from her 'secret' hiding place (I know
where it is - behind a bookcase where she can just squeeze in), she
comes out and greets people she knows - my Mum, my sisters, my niece.
She stays hidden if the people are strangers.

Heidi is so terribly conflicted about what to do when people
come in whom she knows a little. The poor kitty just *looooves*
skritches, and there is someone who she knows would be willing
if she only had just a little more courage. We watch her
peeking around doors or out from her "Heidi" holes, yearning
toward those beckoning hands, and we just feel so bad for the
poor dithering puss.

Like Oscar, she is making a little progress. If it's someone
she knows and they hang around an hour or so and sit quietly on
the couch, she will come and get her dues.

--

Wayne M
(indulged by Will and Heidi)