Adventurous cat

Old October 13th 12, 11:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
The Doctor

Default Adventurous cat

First time owning a cat of our own.

I let him own for the 2nd time today. Just coming back from errands,
I saw our cat roaming outside acceptable bounds!

He was coming back to our block, but he was not to go off either block
or crescent.

He is due at the vet this Monday.

What needs to be done?
--
Member - Liberal International This is Ici
http://www.fullyfollow.me/rootnl2k
Old October 14th 12, 03:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

The Doctor wrote:
In article ,
Mack A. Damia wrote:
On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 22:27:39 +0000 (UTC),
(The Doctor) wrote:

First time owning a cat of our own.

I let him own for the 2nd time today. Just coming back from
errands, I saw our cat roaming outside acceptable bounds!

He was coming back to our block, but he was not to go off either
block or crescent.

He is due at the vet this Monday.

What needs to be done?

Others may disagree, but I consider letting cats (pets) out to roam
"cruelty". If you love your cat and want it to live a long life,
you'll keep it strictly indoors.

--

Depends. I want to limit our cat to our yard and no further.

The cat that use to frequent was a neighbour's cat
from houses 2 down.

Our little guy was born on the crescent. He was the colony guard.
Still I prefer if he stayed inddors.

That is his sentence until he goes ot the vet on Monday.

We have five. They are free to come and go at any time through two cat
doors. but they seldom leave the property. Sunning themselves on our deck is
about as far away as most of them get. One came from across the street, and
she goes back there to visit occasionally. She also waits by the mailbox to
say, "hello" to her neighborhood friends when they come to get the mail.....

Old October 14th 12, 06:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Mack A. Damia wrote:

(The Doctor) wrote:

First time owning a cat of our own.

I let him own for the 2nd time today. Just coming back from
errands, I saw our cat roaming outside acceptable bounds!

He was coming back to our block, but he was not to go off either
block or crescent.

He is due at the vet this Monday.

What needs to be done?

Others may disagree, but I consider letting cats (pets) out to roam
"cruelty". If you love your cat and want it to live a long life,
you'll keep it strictly indoors.

With some cats (and other animals) living a free life is more
important than a long one... This applies to people also, come to
think of it.....

I don't think cat's understand the concept. If they are born in the
wild and captured, they "sense" an unpleasant difference. "Freedom"
is a relative human construct. For instance, many ex-convicts will
re-commit in order to return to the comfort of three hots and a cot.

My cat is free to roam around a large two-story house with an atrium
where she even get a taste of the outdoors. She's free as
a..........cat.

Oh, I agree. Many cats are perfectly happy as incoor cats. but ZI would
hardly call lettong one out, "cruelty". Especially if they were free when
they came to me and I imprisoned them as a cost of their food and drink. My
five cats choose to sleep in my house. They are free to leave at almost any
time. (I do trap them just before the roving vet gets here, so they will be
available for shots and inspection)

Old October 14th 12, 07:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mack A. Damia

(The Doctor) wrote:

[...]

My experience with allowing cats to roam has been unpleasant. For one
thing, there are a lot of "cat-haters" out there who enjoy dispatching
them to the hereafter; also, weirdos who enjoy torturing them.

A few years ago, my neighbor let her cat roam, and it came to my home
at night-time and started knocking plants off the balcony. I'd be
awakened in the middle of the night with resounding crashes. The
neighbor got stubborn about my complaints.

It took the police to tell her that she was responsible for her cat -
and that I was free to do anything I wanted to in order to protect my
property.

I still say that if you truly love your cat, you won't let it roam.

Old October 14th 12, 08:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gandalf[_2_]

(The Doctor) wrote:

[...]

It is a well documented fact that indoor only cats live longer lives
than indoor/outdoor cats. There are MANY risk factors for cats with
access to the outdoor: cars/trucks/busses, kids (and adults) with pellet
rifles, slingshots, firearms, etc., fleas, ticks, mange, roundworms,
hookworms, FIP, FIV, feline leukemia, feline herpes, predation by fox,
coyotes, hawks, and owls, and fighting with other cats, and dogs. I'm
sure the list goes on; this is just what I quickly thought of.
Old October 14th 12, 09:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

(The Doctor) wrote:

[...]

My experience has been different from yours. I have owned cats all of my
life, and only lost one. I also lost a dog many years ago from the same
thing, and he was not allowed to roam. So, the point I am making is that you
shouldn't impress your own experience on everyone else. You are perfectly
free to operate accorkinjg to your own personal experience, and I wouldn't
presume to tell you that. "Anyone who forces his cats to live cooped up
inside his house is practicing cruelty toward animals". But you (aqnd many
others like you) are quick to tell me that you believe that anyone who lets
his cats roam free is practicing cruelty toward his animals.
If you want cruelty to animals, look to the great God of this universe.
He has forced the freezing and starvation of literally millions of animals
every Winter for millions of years now. I would not question you were you to
bitch about Him....:^)