Churchill's Lessons of History

Old October 28th 12, 09:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mack A. Damia

Default Churchill's Lessons of History

I had unsubscribed but decided to come back. I'm not going to engage
in flame wars. I noted more than a few replies to my thead; I posted
it as a clever joke. I'm not the only one who thinks Romney is
evasive about how he's going to pay for all the money problems our
nation has. I'm an ordinary citizen, and I want what is best for all
of us.

Anyway, being a Brit, I have always admired Churchill, and I know some
of you will be interested in his "Lessons of History".

Read and heed:

1. Despite the importance of doing so, we do not learn from history.

2. Science and technology cannot immunize us from history's lessons.

3. Freedom, which Americans believe is longed for by people
worldwide, is not a globally shared value. By contrast, desire for
power, whether wielded as a despot, or as a benevolent empire or
superpower, is a universal value.

4. Known as the cradle of civilization, the Middle East has also been
the graveyard of empires, no matter what their intention, as the
Romans and so many others have learned.

5. America will experience the same ultimate destiny as the memorable
democracies, republics, and superpowers of the past.

6. Religion and spirituality—and the lust for power—are the most
profound motivators in history.

7. Nations and empires rise and fall not because of anonymous social
and economic forces but because of decisions made by individuals.

8. A true statesman possesses four qualities: a bedrock of
principles, a moral compass, a vision, and the ability to build
consensus to achieve that vision.

BTW, Churchill loved cats:

http://www.winstonchurchill.org/supp...line-menagerie

Old October 29th 12, 07:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Mack A. Damia wrote:
I had unsubscribed but decided to come back. I'm not going to engage
in flame wars.....

How the hell can you avoid them? If I post that 2 + 2 = 4 on this forum,
there will appear some ass hole who gives me an argument about it.

Old October 29th 12, 07:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mack A. Damia

On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 23:34:19 -0700, "Bill Graham"
wrote:

Mack A. Damia wrote:
I had unsubscribed but decided to come back. I'm not going to engage
in flame wars.....

How the hell can you avoid them? If I post that 2 + 2 = 4 on this forum,
there will appear some ass hole who gives me an argument about it.

Nah, it's the name-calling and descent into personal attacks that I
want to avoid. Somebody insults me personally, then I will insult
them, because they are not worth a rational debate. Just my personal
feelings; I know there are those that thrive on flame wars, and
depending on the group, I might participate if I get disgusted enough.

Old October 30th 12, 09:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

wrote:

Mack A. Damia wrote:
I had unsubscribed but decided to come back. I'm not going to
engage in flame wars.....

How the hell can you avoid them? If I post that 2 + 2 = 4 on this
forum, there will appear some ass hole who gives me an argument
about it.

Nah, it's the name-calling and descent into personal attacks that I
want to avoid. Somebody insults me personally, then I will insult
them, because they are not worth a rational debate. Just my personal
feelings; I know there are those that thrive on flame wars, and
depending on the group, I might participate if I get disgusted enough.

In the long run, it is a waste of time. No one has ever been convinced of
anything by being insulted. If you are trying to conmvince someone that your
point of vies is valid, only continue to do so with rational arguments.
Beyoned that, you are much better off just terminating the discussion and
pick up some other subject to discuss with someone else. I sit here and try
to give people the knowlege I have picked up during my 77 years of living.
But if they don't want to learn anything from me, there is no reason why I
should waste my time with them. Certainly screaming, "YOU IDIOT!!" at them
can't accomplish any purpose whatsoever. Far better to just state what you
have to say, and then bow out.

Old October 31st 12, 11:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Someone said:

I'm not the only one who thinks Romney is
evasive about how he's going to pay for all the money problems our
nation has.

Of course he's, "evasive". Nobody can possibly get rid of a 16+ trillion
dollar debt in 8 years or less. He's evasive because he hasn't a clue how to
do the impossible, but the stupid voting public in this country will only be
happy with someone who tells them that he will be able to do just that. The
only thing worse than lying politicians is a voting public that forces them
to lie.....

Old October 31st 12, 11:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

FragSinatra wrote:
Don't like CHristianity? Then **** off to a muslo-nazi state and never
be bothered by Christians, Hindus, Jews, Bahais or Sikhs ever again.

How do I get away from all of them? Do you know what its like to have to
spend your whole life with a bunch of idiots that are willing to give their
lives for some non-existent boogy man in the sky? I keep running to one
hiding place or another hoping these idiots won't find and kill me as an
offering....

Old November 1st 12, 12:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
FragSinatra

"Bill Graham" wrote in
:

FragSinatra wrote:
Don't like CHristianity? Then **** off to a muslo-nazi state and
never be bothered by Christians, Hindus, Jews, Bahais or Sikhs ever
again.

How do I get away from all of them? Do you know what its like to have
to spend your whole life with a bunch of idiots that are willing to
give their lives for some non-existent boogy man in the sky? I keep
running to one hiding place or another hoping these idiots won't find
and kill me as an offering....

There's only ONE religion currently slaughtering, enslaving, raping
and kidnapping people of other faiths in the name of their death god all
over the world, today, in the here and now.

In Iran, one of the first groups rounded up and disappeared following the
Islamic Revolution were Communists.

I predict Christianity will be completely eradicated from the Mid-East
and N. Africa sometime this century, w/the possible exception being Israel.

Anyone who thinks Islam is at all peaceful or tolerant should try wearing
a kippah and tallits publicly in any Islamic state. They better make sure
their life insurance is paid up and their will made out first.

Old November 1st 12, 01:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

FragSinatra wrote:
"Bill Graham" wrote in
:

FragSinatra wrote:
[...]

I have no use for it either, but then, I have little use for any religion,
with the possible exception of those who support charitable efforts. On of
my favorite charities is also supported by the Catholics, I believe. In
general, religion has been responsible for most of the wars and mass
murderings on this planet since the dawn of mankind. Its death record is
onloy surpassed by its Gods, who, (presumably) have been around since they
created everything, and have been murdering the little creatures for
billions of years......

Old November 1st 12, 08:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
FragSinatra

"Bill Graham" wrote in
:

FragSinatra wrote:
"Bill Graham" wrote in
:

FragSinatra wrote:
[...]

I can say with conviction that neither Yeshua nor Buddha EVER advocated
for the persecution or murder of anyone ever, much less had anyone
murdered in their name. All religions are not the same.

The Spanish Inqusition was a picnic in comparison to what the muslims
did and are doing in the Indian sub-continent.

Take a look at jihadwatch.com some day and read the daily litany of
islamic atrocities and persecution, the ones the MSM doesn't bother
to report.

Old November 2nd 12, 12:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

Sylvia M wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

And this all has something to do about 'cats' or 'health'.
I grant you 'behavior', but isn't there a political newsgroup ?

There is. They feel that they can do what they want. I KF'ed both.