Introducing the new cat

Old February 4th 05, 02:05 AM
Justin L

Default Introducing the new cat

I picked up my new kitty tonight, and I am wondering how I should go
about introducing him to my kitten.

Right now, I have them separated. The new cat is locked in the bedroom
with all of his necessities, and my kitten is checking out the carrier I
brought the new cat home in.

How do I know when they are ready to meet? The new cat was just neutered
today, so should I wait awhile?

Any other suggestions for a smooth introduction would be very helpful.

I also need to figure out a name for the "new cat"

Justin
Old February 4th 05, 02:29 AM
Mary

"Justin L" wrote in message
. ..
I picked up my new kitty tonight, and I am wondering how I should go
about introducing him to my kitten.

Congratulations!! I want to hear all about him.

Right now, I have them separated. The new cat is locked in the bedroom
with all of his necessities, and my kitten is checking out the carrier I
brought the new cat home in.

How do I know when they are ready to meet? The new cat was just neutered
today, so should I wait awhile?

There has been a lot written about this in this group so I think a Google
search on "introducing" for this group might be helpful. The most
experienced
people recommend that it be done gradually. For example, leave the new
cat in the bedroom where he is for maybe two days, then put him some
place with a barrier like a screen door where the cats can see and smell
one another, but not touch. I have heard others say that it may be helpful
expose each cat to the other's scent by placing a blanket or toy that one
has been around in the room with the other.

Any other suggestions for a smooth introduction would be very helpful.

When I did it three years ago I just opened the carrier upstairs for the new
cat
and she and the other cat, who stays pretty much on the lowest of three
levels,
just worked it out on their own. These cats, two grown girls, still pretty
much
stay in their own turfs, one on the third floor and the other on the first
floor.
But at feeding times and play times they meet on the middle level. At first
there was hissing and posturing, now just some half-hearted swatting. Next
they will be playing together, though I doubt they will ever cuddle and
groom.

I also need to figure out a name for the "new cat"

For that we need PICTURES!!

Old February 4th 05, 03:46 AM
Justin L

Mary wrote:
"Justin L" wrote in message
. ..

I picked up my new kitty tonight, and I am wondering how I should go
about introducing him to my kitten.

Congratulations!! I want to hear all about him.

well, I don't know all the technical cat terms, but he has stripes and a
white belly!
I will be taking pictures sometime soon.
He is very friendly though, when I went to go see him for the first
time, he didn't even try to run and hide, he just came up to me and
started rubbing on my leg and purring.

I can hear him meowing right now, and the kitten keeps going by the
door.. is this a good sign??

Right now, I have them separated. The new cat is locked in the bedroom
with all of his necessities, and my kitten is checking out the carrier I
brought the new cat home in.

How do I know when they are ready to meet? The new cat was just neutered
today, so should I wait awhile?

There has been a lot written about this in this group so I think a Google
search on "introducing" for this group might be helpful. The most
experienced
people recommend that it be done gradually. For example, leave the new
cat in the bedroom where he is for maybe two days, then put him some
place with a barrier like a screen door where the cats can see and smell
one another, but not touch. I have heard others say that it may be helpful
expose each cat to the other's scent by placing a blanket or toy that one
has been around in the room with the other.

Thanks I will try those suggestions. I am mainly worried because the new
cat is older and bigger than my kitten. He also was a unnuetered stray
for who knows how long, so he may be used to fighting and all that jazz.

Any other suggestions for a smooth introduction would be very helpful.

When I did it three years ago I just opened the carrier upstairs for the new
cat
and she and the other cat, who stays pretty much on the lowest of three
levels,
just worked it out on their own. These cats, two grown girls, still pretty
much
stay in their own turfs, one on the third floor and the other on the first
floor.
But at feeding times and play times they meet on the middle level. At first
there was hissing and posturing, now just some half-hearted swatting. Next
they will be playing together, though I doubt they will ever cuddle and
groom.

I am hoping they will at least interact a little bit. The main reason
for taking in this new cat was to keep my kitten company while I am away
during the day. Maybe new cat can share his old fight stories over some
catnip or something.

I also need to figure out a name for the "new cat"

For that we need PICTURES!!

Yea I know, I am working on it :P I think he is pretty neat looking. He
is definitely a lot different looking than my kitten.

I will let you know once I get some posted.

Justin
Old February 4th 05, 03:50 AM
Cheryl

On Thu 03 Feb 2005 09:46:00p, Justin L wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

Thanks I will try those suggestions. I am mainly worried because
the new cat is older and bigger than my kitten. He also was a
unnuetered stray for who knows how long, so he may be used to
fighting and all that jazz.

My experience with neutered males and kittens is that they get along
great. In every instance I've seen them in, in multiple combinations.
Older females sometimes act funny, but males have always sort of
adopted them. Good luck!

--
Cheryl
Old February 4th 05, 03:59 AM
Mary

"Justin L" wrote in message
. ..
Mary wrote:
"Justin L" wrote in message
. ..

well, I don't know all the technical cat terms, but he has stripes and a
white belly!
I will be taking pictures sometime soon.
He is very friendly though, when I went to go see him for the first
time, he didn't even try to run and hide, he just came up to me and
started rubbing on my leg and purring.

Oh, you got a friendly little guy!

I can hear him meowing right now, and the kitten keeps going by the
door.. is this a good sign??

Sure! I hope you're visiting him a lot so he isn't lonely.

[...]

I see--it sounds like you have reason to be careful. Bless you for adopting
an adult cat, so many people just want kittens. You're a good soul! How old
is
this boy, do you know? And I assume he is now neutered? Could the shelter
tell you much about him?

I am hoping they will at least interact a little bit. The main reason

for taking in this new cat was to keep my kitten company while I am away
during the day. Maybe new cat can share his old fight stories over some
catnip or something.

You know, the key ingredient is patience. They will probably be fine
together, and play and keep one another company eventually,
but just not as fast as you want them to do it. Above all don't
pick one cat up and take it into the other's space. I would spend some
time petting and playing with the kitten, then go in and spend some time
with the new boy, to mingle their scents.

I also need to figure out a name for the "new cat"

For that we need PICTURES!!

Yea I know, I am working on it :P I think he is pretty neat looking. He
is definitely a lot different looking than my kitten.

I will let you know once I get some posted.

Excellent.

Old February 4th 05, 04:56 AM
Brian Link

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 01:05:14 GMT, Justin L
wrote:

I picked up my new kitty tonight, and I am wondering how I should go
about introducing him to my kitten.

Right now, I have them separated. The new cat is locked in the bedroom
with all of his necessities, and my kitten is checking out the carrier I
brought the new cat home in.

How do I know when they are ready to meet? The new cat was just neutered
today, so should I wait awhile?

Any other suggestions for a smooth introduction would be very helpful.

I also need to figure out a name for the "new cat"

Justin

If the new cat is past sexual maturity, wait at least a month for best
results, so the hormones can wash out of his system.

Just an anecdotal reference, but one that is backed up with at least a
little research..

Grown (male) cats and kittens seem to have a somewhat easier time
acclimating. We brough Louis the Bengal (neutered male) home at about
two months old, and at the first meeting Tiger the Eight-year-old
neutered male) hissed once, then started grooming the new kitten!

We kept them separated a couple weeks, with short times together, and
Tiger fell in love almost immediately. They are now the best of
friends, playing and sleeping together.

Luckily, this was by design, since Tiger (a mutt) has always been a
playful cat, and in our first purebred purchase we wanted a breed that
would share his enthusiasm for play, after Tiger had lost two friends
to disease. Bengals are advertised as such, and Louis plays to type.
The ten-year age differential has us somewhat concerned, which is why
we adopted the stray Henry (about Louis' age and as precocious). It's
this addition which underlines the difference between introductions
with kittens and introductions as adults.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your new kitty! I think you'll be pleasantly
surprised!

BLink
Old February 4th 05, 05:42 AM
Justin L

Mary wrote:

snip

Oh, you got a friendly little guy!

Seems to be so far!

Sure! I hope you're visiting him a lot so he isn't lonely.

Yes, I was just in there now. I noticed his front claws are *very*
short. It almost looks like they are broken or something, but I am
afraid to try and get a real good look because he gets kind of nervous
when I do.
Does this mean he is declawed, or do some cats just have short claws.
Poor guy I hope he isn't in pain.

snip

I see--it sounds like you have reason to be careful. Bless you for adopting
an adult cat, so many people just want kittens. You're a good soul! How old
is
this boy, do you know? And I assume he is now neutered? Could the shelter
tell you much about him?

The vet he saw estimated about 1-1/2 yrs old, and he was just neutered
this morning.
I didn't get him from the shelter. I saw an ad in the paper "rescued cat
from cold". The lady I got him from said he started coming around for
food. Then one night he had frozen little tears running down his face,
so she took him in. She already had 2 cats, and can't have anymore.

I am hoping they will at least interact a little bit. The main reason

for taking in this new cat was to keep my kitten company while I am away
during the day. Maybe new cat can share his old fight stories over some
catnip or something.

You know, the key ingredient is patience. They will probably be fine
together, and play and keep one another company eventually,
but just not as fast as you want them to do it. Above all don't
pick one cat up and take it into the other's space. I would spend some
time petting and playing with the kitten, then go in and spend some time
with the new boy, to mingle their scents.

That is what I have been doing so far, they seem to be interested in
each other, but I am going to wait at least a few days before letting
them see each other.
I think new cat did a spray in the room. yuck

Justin

snipped
Old February 4th 05, 05:45 AM
Justin L

Brian Link wrote:
On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 01:05:14 GMT, Justin L
wrote:

snip

If the new cat is past sexual maturity, wait at least a month for best
results, so the hormones can wash out of his system.

When is sexual maturity? He is about 1-1/2 years old, but his exact age
is unknown.

Just an anecdotal reference, but one that is backed up with at least a
little research..

Grown (male) cats and kittens seem to have a somewhat easier time
acclimating. We brough Louis the Bengal (neutered male) home at about
two months old, and at the first meeting Tiger the Eight-year-old
neutered male) hissed once, then started grooming the new kitten!

I hope my cats meeting goes that well!

We kept them separated a couple weeks, with short times together, and
Tiger fell in love almost immediately. They are now the best of
friends, playing and sleeping together.

Luckily, this was by design, since Tiger (a mutt) has always been a
playful cat, and in our first purebred purchase we wanted a breed that
would share his enthusiasm for play, after Tiger had lost two friends
to disease. Bengals are advertised as such, and Louis plays to type.
The ten-year age differential has us somewhat concerned, which is why
we adopted the stray Henry (about Louis' age and as precocious). It's
this addition which underlines the difference between introductions
with kittens and introductions as adults.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your new kitty! I think you'll be pleasantly
surprised!

Thanks

Justin

BLink

Old February 4th 05, 05:47 AM
Justin L

Cheryl wrote:
On Thu 03 Feb 2005 09:46:00p, Justin L wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

Thanks I will try those suggestions. I am mainly worried because
the new cat is older and bigger than my kitten. He also was a
unnuetered stray for who knows how long, so he may be used to
fighting and all that jazz.

My experience with neutered males and kittens is that they get along
great. In every instance I've seen them in, in multiple combinations.
Older females sometimes act funny, but males have always sort of
adopted them. Good luck!

That is good to know!

Thanks!
Justin
Old February 4th 05, 05:49 AM
Betsy

Congratulations! Good move!

I second the recommendation to wait a bit until the hormone level settles
down. But I don't think a month will be necessary. Give it a week or two.
Let them sniff each other under a door, then through a baby gate (or
two--one on top of another) and stay in the (closed)room with them when
introducing. Start with short meetings, and after a few days if all goes
well let them out of the room.

You want to limit it to one closed room because if the worst happens, you
don't want to be running through the house after them!

But I think it will be fine. Keep us up to date.

. ..