No trolls but heh, a recipe

Old March 16th 06, 04:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default No trolls but heh, a recipe

dnr wrote:
1 lb. ground beef
1 c. water
1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
mashed potatoes
Brown 1 lb. ground beef (mince); drain but reserve 1 Tbs. of the
grease/fat. Stir in water and Worcestershire sauce. Cover and
simmer about 30 minutes. Serve over mashed potatoes with some green
peas or beans on the side. OB Cats: Persia thought since we were
awake Peaches should be, too. So she pawed at the towel that I use
to cover Peaches' cage and meowed at me! Jill

Um, what do I do with the 1 Tbs. of the grease/fat I reserved? ;-)
Joy

This experienced cook was going to ask same ? but refrained from
either "bad manners" or "duh" appearance. Sounds delish!

Leave it in the pan to assist with making the gravy. Dump the rest (or use
it to fry something, your choice).

Jill

Old March 16th 06, 06:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-03-16, jmcquown penned:
dnr wrote:

This experienced cook was going to ask same ? but refrained from
either "bad manners" or "duh" appearance. Sounds delish!

Leave it in the pan to assist with making the gravy. Dump the rest
(or use it to fry something, your choice).

There was no mention of making gravy in the original post! Now it
sounds much more complicated ...

(seriously. I've seen people make gravy before, but I'm not sure I
could do it on my own)

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 16th 06, 07:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Monique here is a link with pictures for you making gravy is easy
http://www.elise.com/recipes/archive...make_gravy.php
http://www.fabulousfoods.com/school/cstech/gravy.html

Old March 16th 06, 01:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

In article ,
jmcquown wrote:
Yoj wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
Some folks might recognize this. Mince and Tatties. It's a Scottish
peasant dish. Grandma Hannah Smith Douglas Brown used to make it
and it will be dinner tonight.

1 lb. ground beef
1 c. water
1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
mashed potatoes

Brown 1 lb. ground beef (mince); drain but reserve 1 Tbs. of the
grease/fat. Stir in water and Worcestershire sauce. Cover and
simmer about 30 minutes. Serve over mashed potatoes with some green
peas or beans on the side.

OB Cats: Persia thought since we were awake Peaches should be, too.
So she pawed at the towel that I use to cover Peaches' cage and
meowed at me!

Jill

Um, what do I do with the 1 Tbs. of the grease/fat I reserved? ;-)

Joy

LOL you know there will be more; you drain it off and save 1 Tbs. or so to
cook with the "gravy".

Now that I think about it, where are the onions? What good is a good
mince without onions? And garlic? LOL yeah, I'm gonna add onions and
garlic to this. (with roasted green beans on the side)

Jane
- owned and operated by Princess Rita
Old March 16th 06, 01:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-03-16, jmcquown penned:
dnr wrote:

This experienced cook was going to ask same ? but refrained from
either "bad manners" or "duh" appearance. Sounds delish!

Leave it in the pan to assist with making the gravy. Dump the rest
(or use it to fry something, your choice).

There was no mention of making gravy in the original post! Now it
sounds much more complicated ...

(seriously. I've seen people make gravy before, but I'm not sure I
could do it on my own)

The "gravy" is made when you leave a little of the fat in the pan with the
beef, add the water and the Worchestershire sauce. It's not thick, but you
cook it down an additional 30 minutes... really quite simple. It's not like
making a sauce such as hollandaise

Old March 16th 06, 01:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Jane wrote:
In article ,
jmcquown wrote:
Yoj wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Go for it! Grandma never added onions and garlic but that's probably
because she didn't have any

Old March 16th 06, 07:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Christine K." wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

Would this be an unusual thing to cook in the USA? I live on this sort
of thing all the time. You can do all sort of things with mince. Does
this make me a peasant?

That's something we'd often eat too, all kinds of dishes made with mince,
partly because it's cheap... DH studies at a vocational college and we
live on my salary only.

You'd probably be interested in recipes from the new cookery book I've just
bought then. It's a complete book about what you can make from mince and it
will arrive tomorrow!
Mince is a godsend for people on a low income as are chickpeas.

Tweed

Old March 16th 06, 07:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
Yoj wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Yep. Most folks here use minced beef for hamburgers (sandwiches) or add
tomato sauce for pasta. I've never run into anyone else who just cooks up
the beef and adds water to it.

Really? Although I have to admit if I am having mince & tatties I add a
gravy cube and onion to the mince. To make it authentically (sp?, looks
peculiar) you have to serve it with turnips. Neeps.
Do you like haggis?

Tweed

Old March 17th 06, 08:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:

You'd probably be interested in recipes from the new cookery book I've just
bought then. It's a complete book about what you can make from mince and it
will arrive tomorrow!
Mince is a godsend for people on a low income as are chickpeas.

Tweed

Thanks, but I seldom use cook books when cooking, only when baking. And
DH hasn't complained yet...

Christine in Vantaa, posting from work

Old March 18th 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 05:11:06 -0600, "jmcquown"
wrote:

Some folks might recognize this. Mince and Tatties. It's a Scottish
peasant dish. Grandma Hannah Smith Douglas Brown used to make it and it
will be dinner tonight.

1 lb. ground beef
1 c. water
1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
mashed potatoes

Brown 1 lb. ground beef (mince); drain but reserve 1 Tbs. of the grease/fat.
Stir in water and Worcestershire sauce. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes.
Serve over mashed potatoes with some green peas or beans on the side.

OB Cats: Persia thought since we were awake Peaches should be, too. So she
pawed at the towel that I use to cover Peaches' cage and meowed at me!

Jill

Hi Jill,

What brand of Worcestershire sauce do you use? We have French's in
the cupboard right now, but I am not that enamoured of the stuff.

Patti