Tasteless use of cat in advertising

Old April 8th 04, 04:13 AM
Ryan Robbins

"Brandy Alexandre" wrote in message
s.com...

Trademark infrigment, defamation, probably others. Parody is
protected, but you are supposed to make it clear it's a parody.

Although the commercial is real, it would still pass as a parody if it were
not. Producers of parodies need not make any announcement to that effect.

Old April 8th 04, 04:30 AM
Ryan Robbins

"RobZip" wrote in message
Digital, animatronics, real or imagined, the end result is the same.

No it's not.

It
reinforces the idea that somebody thinks a cat dying a terrible death is a
humor item.

People every day laugh at death. It helps us get through life. Death can be
funny, especially when it is ironic. You have to look at death in terms of
its place in the grand scheme of things. Some people die horrible deaths
that are not funny. Some people die in freak accidents -- sort of God's way
of demonstrating how bizarre life and death can be.

Of course death isn't funny to those close to it. It rarely is. But that
doesn't mean death as a phenomenon that has many causes can't be funny.

Let's be realistic here. Nobody killed a cat to make that dummy commercial.
If somebody had killed a cat to make the commercial, then yes, it would not
be funny. But no cat died or was injured. Geez, the commercial was about a
possessed car. The commercial did not feature somebody killing the cat.

As for anyone who might make the weird leap of logic that the commercial
says it's OK to abuse animals and recreate the commercial (which would be
hard to do considering that the commercial did not feature a person killing
the cat), that person already has problems, problems the commercial
certainly did not create.

Look at how absurd commercials are getting with disclaimers saying
"dramatization" when a pickup truck tows a ship through ice or tows a
jetliner so fast that the plane takes off.

Old April 8th 04, 05:12 AM
RobZip

"Ryan Robbins" wrote in message
As for anyone who might make the weird leap of logic that the commercial
says it's OK to abuse animals

The connection really doesn't have to be that direct. What the commercial
says is that there are others out there who don't like (hate?) cats and it
most definitely validates the idea that abusing them is okay if you don't
like them. As far as a direct recreation of the events in that ad, I'd
agree - most likely won't ever happen.

Old April 8th 04, 06:12 AM
Ryan Robbins

"RobZip" wrote in message

The connection really doesn't have to be that direct. What the commercial
says is that there are others out there who don't like (hate?) cats

It's a car that kills the cat in the commercial. No human or other animal
killed the cat.

and it
most definitely validates the idea that abusing them is okay if you don't
like them.

That's quite a leap in logic.

So any television show, movie, play, song, book, poem or story that has a
murder in it is "validating" the idea that it's OK to kill? I don't think
so.

Old April 8th 04, 06:23 AM
MacCandace

Yeesh. I can believe some dork thought this was "clever" advertising. Glad I
don't own a Ford.

Karen

Great. I have a mac and can't even see this link and we own 2 Fords. I can
look at it at work tomorrow but I don't think I want to.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

Old April 8th 04, 06:34 AM
MacCandace

What a strange web of logic you and others with a similar view weave..

Well, you appear to be in the minority here so maybe you're the one with the
strange web of logic or lack thereof.