The Things Some People Say (OT)

Old January 7th 05, 08:55 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-07, Christina Websell penned:

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

Depends on the nicety, I suppose. On newsgroups I seem to have acquired
some Britishisms, like saying "bloody" instead of "damn." I don't know
why.

swear word here in Britain.

Tweed.

Oh! Well, um, drat. Good to know, before I get myself in trouble.

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old January 7th 05, 09:45 PM
CatNipped

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

Depends on the nicety, I suppose. On newsgroups I seem to have acquired
some
Britishisms, like saying "bloody" instead of "damn." I don't know why.

swear word here in Britain.

Tweed.

Yeah, I was very surprised at the Harry Potter movies when they had the
children saying "bloody" to a teacher and not being reprimanded for it. I
suspect in real life those kids would have gotten bloody hell for that!! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old January 7th 05, 10:18 PM
Christina Websell

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

Depends on the nicety, I suppose. On newsgroups I seem to have acquired
some
Britishisms, like saying "bloody" instead of "damn." I don't know why.

swear word here in Britain.

Tweed.

Yeah, I was very surprised at the Harry Potter movies when they had the
children saying "bloody" to a teacher and not being reprimanded for it. I
suspect in real life those kids would have gotten bloody hell for that!!
;

Hugs,

CatNipped

If I had dared to say that word to a teacher (and I would definitely not
have done) I would have expected my ear to be very sore.
My Michigan friend, Bob, says that bloody isn't regarded as a swear word in
American,
and he finds it "quaint." if I say it.
What's the position of the word "bloody" for you Americans? Swear word or
quaint?

Tweed

Old January 7th 05, 11:05 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-07, Christina Websell penned:

If I had dared to say that word to a teacher (and I would definitely not
have done) I would have expected my ear to be very sore. My Michigan
friend, Bob, says that bloody isn't regarded as a swear word in American,
and he finds it "quaint." if I say it. What's the position of the word
"bloody" for you Americans? Swear word or quaint?

Tweed

To me, it's a swear word that you would never hear from a USian.

I've gotten the impression (media?) that certain words that you just don't
hear in the US, like c**t and t**t, are more acceptable, well, as acceptable
as vulgarities get, in the UK. Is that true, or more miseducation? If
someone were called either in the US, it would be a heinous insult.

Old January 8th 05, 12:45 AM
CatNipped

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in

message

[...]

Other than most people here knowing that it is considered a swear word in
the UK, all it means here is "covered in blood" - as in I cut myself and now
my shirt is all bloody.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old January 8th 05, 12:47 AM
Christina Websell

On 2005-01-07, Christina Websell penned:

If I had dared to say that word to a teacher (and I would definitely not
have done) I would have expected my ear to be very sore. My Michigan
friend, Bob, says that bloody isn't regarded as a swear word in American,
and he finds it "quaint." if I say it. What's the position of the word
"bloody" for you Americans? Swear word or quaint?

Tweed

To me, it's a swear word that you would never hear from a USian.

I've gotten the impression (media?) that certain words that you just don't
hear in the US, like c**t and t**t, are more acceptable, well, as
acceptable
as vulgarities get, in the UK. Is that true, or more miseducation? If
someone were called either in the US, it would be a heinous insult.

Neither of those words are acceptable here. The c word is one of the worst
that can be said. If not the worst actually, worse than the f word.
The t word. Hmm. Not acceptable either, but not quite so bad as the above
Means the same as c.. Bad enough though. Never say any of these words in
polite company.
Bloody is mild compared with these.
Suggestion: don't use these words in the UK if you want to make a nice
impression.

Tweed

Old January 8th 05, 01:16 AM
Christina Websell

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in

message

[...]

Well, we could say that too, without it being swearing. We would rarely do
it though, knowing the other meaning of the word. No other meaning exactly,
but knowing it's pretty rude.
It isn't something you would say to a child. Sometimes I think my 4 yo
niece is "a bloody nuisance" She is. Sometimes she is the epitome of what
a bloody nuisance is.
So I never say it. Never say what b nuisance means. Hold my tongue. She's
improving. Was I ever such an awful child? Absolutely not..
She has my ear. One or two of us in the family (not many) have a point on
one ear (not like Dr Spock, further down).
I have it, she has it on the same ear. She has written her own Christmas
cards since she was 2 and three quarters.
I'm afraid. ;-)
She starts school this week, although she isn't 5. I'd love to know what
the teachers make of her.
Last year, my brother trying to explain the marking on a road map - which
she'd asked for
"This is a motorway, see, red.. this is an A road and this is a B road"
"A B road? Don't be silly, Daddy, bees fly, they don't need roads"

Tweed

Old January 8th 05, 01:20 AM
CatNipped

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in

message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in

message

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

Depends on the nicety, I suppose. On newsgroups I seem to have

acquired
some
Britishisms, like saying "bloody" instead of "damn." I don't know

why.

as
[...]

Yep, that's why nature made 'em cute - so we wouldn't kill 'em before
they're grown.

So I never say it. Never say what b nuisance means. Hold my tongue.

She's
improving. Was I ever such an awful child? Absolutely not..
She has my ear. One or two of us in the family (not many) have a point on
one ear (not like Dr Spock, further down).
I have it, she has it on the same ear. She has written her own Christmas
cards since she was 2 and three quarters.
I'm afraid. ;-)
She starts school this week, although she isn't 5. I'd love to know what
the teachers make of her.
Last year, my brother trying to explain the marking on a road map - which
she'd asked for
"This is a motorway, see, red.. this is an A road and this is a B road"
"A

Oh how incredibly cute!!!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Tweed

Old January 8th 05, 01:49 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-08, Christina Websell penned:

I've gotten the impression (media?) that certain words that you just don't
hear in the US, like c**t and t**t, are more acceptable, well, as
acceptable as vulgarities get, in the UK. Is that true, or more
miseducation? If someone were called either in the US, it would be a
heinous insult.

Neither of those words are acceptable here. The c word is one of the worst
that can be said. If not the worst actually, worse than the f word. The t
word. Hmm. Not acceptable either, but not quite so bad as the above Means
the same as c.. Bad enough though. Never say any of these words in polite
company. Bloody is mild compared with these. Suggestion: don't use these
words in the UK if you want to make a nice impression.

Again, good to know. I would never use either of those words, most
particularly the t one, since it just irritates me. The sound itself is just
.... ugly.

Now I wonder where I got the impression I did, about British usage of those
words ...

Anyway, off to Steamboat. I won't be able to post till Sunday evening at the
earliest.

Old January 8th 05, 02:09 AM
Yoj

[...]

She sounds very precocious - and very bright. I hope she gets teachers who
appreciate her brilliance, rather than resenting it because they're afraid
she is smarter than they are. That is a problem bright kids sometimes run
into.

Joy