Can cats not eat pork?

Old September 29th 05, 08:05 PM
Ajanta

Default Can cats not eat pork?

Quite clearly, cat food seems to be derived not from what cats would
eat but from what humans eat: beef, chicken, turkey, tuna, etc.

However, I also notice a conspicuous absence of one very popular and
common human staple from cat foods: pork.

Why is that? Can cats not eat pork? Is it harmful to them?
Old September 29th 05, 08:16 PM
Norm

Ajanta wrote:

Quite clearly, cat food seems to be derived not from what cats would
eat but from what humans eat: beef, chicken, turkey, tuna, etc.

In large part because pet food is an easy way to use the less-desirable
bits.

Can cats not eat pork? Is it harmful to them?

Mine love it, particularly to gnaw on the bones and it hasn't hurt them
any way I can see.

--
"In 2005, the refining margin...has exceeded $20 per barrel, far above
the long-term average of $6. That has meant record profits for oil
Old September 29th 05, 08:28 PM
whitershadeofpale

Ajanta wrote:
Quite clearly, cat food seems to be derived not from what cats would
eat but from what humans eat: beef, chicken, turkey, tuna, etc.

However, I also notice a conspicuous absence of one very popular and
common human staple from cat foods: pork.

Why is that? Can cats not eat pork? Is it harmful to them?

A pig is a filthy animal

Sure bacon tastes good, and yeah
sewer rat might taste like pumpkin pie

but a SWINE is still a filthy animal

I mean, what other animal rolls in it's own feces..

Just my thought on it

Old September 29th 05, 08:33 PM
-L.

whitershadeofpale wrote:
Ajanta wrote:
Quite clearly, cat food seems to be derived not from what cats would
eat but from what humans eat: beef, chicken, turkey, tuna, etc.

However, I also notice a conspicuous absence of one very popular and
common human staple from cat foods: pork.

Why is that? Can cats not eat pork? Is it harmful to them?

A pig is a filthy animal

Sure bacon tastes good, and yeah
sewer rat might taste like pumpkin pie

but a SWINE is still a filthy animal

I mean, what other animal rolls in it's own feces..

Just my thought on it

No yours, Jules'.

-L.

Old September 29th 05, 08:34 PM
Ajanta

:
: Mine love it, particularly to gnaw on the bones and it hasn't hurt
: them any way I can see.

Hmmm I wonder why there is no pork in commercially sold cans?
Old September 29th 05, 08:35 PM
-L.

Ajanta wrote:
Quite clearly, cat food seems to be derived not from what cats would
eat but from what humans eat: beef, chicken, turkey, tuna, etc.

However, I also notice a conspicuous absence of one very popular and
common human staple from cat foods: pork.

Why is that?

Pork biproducts by and large go into hot dogs and bologna. They are
too expensive for cat food.

Can cats not eat pork? Is it harmful to them?

They can and will eat pork. My cats love pork.

-L.

Old September 29th 05, 08:35 PM
Ajanta

whitershadeofpale wrote:

: A pig is a filthy animal

My point was, pork is sold for human consumption. Why is it absent from
canned cat food?
Old September 29th 05, 08:40 PM
whitershadeofpale

Ajanta wrote:
whitershadeofpale wrote:

: A pig is a filthy animal

My point was, pork is sold for human consumption. Why is it absent from
canned cat food?

Your point has been duly noted and has been taken into consideration;

uuuhiiiii think you're up to something..

JUST say it.

You fed your cat a pork chop now that cat is sleepy as hell and you're
scared

Old September 29th 05, 09:20 PM
Ted Davis

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 19:05:59 GMT, Ajanta wrote:

Quite clearly, cat food seems to be derived not from what cats would
eat but from what humans eat: beef, chicken, turkey, tuna, etc.

However, I also notice a conspicuous absence of one very popular and
common human staple from cat foods: pork.

Why is that? Can cats not eat pork? Is it harmful to them?

A couple of thoughts.
Laws and regulations regarding the handling of pork and pork scraps
a animal food abound and differ widly from place to place.
Vendors would have to be especially careful which stores got the
pork products and who handled it because of the religious prohibitions
surrounding it - you could not ship it to stores in Jewish or Muslim
areas, nor could it be handled in transit by observant Jews or
Muslims. Mistakes could have serious consequencies.

--
T.E.D. )
Old September 29th 05, 09:23 PM
No More Retail

The other person is right pork is an expensive by product unlike a cow where
every part is used some how

My cats love it when we cook up a ham they get the fat off of it.

And ignore some of the other trolls that I can see responded WE do

performing cats Norm Cat anecdotes 0 September 18th 05 03:32 AM
rec.pets.cats: Traditional Siamese Breed-FAQ Laura Gilbreath Cat Information 0 October 29th 04 05:23 AM
Cat predation studies Alison Cat health & behaviour 48 February 5th 04 04:17 AM
American Idol guy & Cats PawsForThought Cat health & behaviour 445 December 1st 03 07:47 PM