130 Cats in a Moscow Flat

Old August 19th 07, 03:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Candace

Default 130 Cats in a Moscow Flat

http://englishrussia.com/?p=1199

Ugh, I thought I had problems. I love kitties but this is a bit much.

Candace

Old August 19th 07, 07:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh via CatKB.com

Candace wrote:
http://englishrussia.com/?p=1199

Ugh, I thought I had problems. I love kitties but this is a bit much.

Candace

Hmmm, Yes!

I noticed this one yesterday as well, & I have to agree with you.
There were far too many to be housed in one small flat. The din (noise!!)
that they all made when they heard her coming with what they knew was dinner
time, it descended into utter bedlam, didn't it?

When I first noticed the headline, I expected to see a real dive of a place,
covered in feline faeces, in really a shabby dingy flat that probably stunk
to high - heaven, of cat urine smelling soaked flag stones.... which was very
judgmental of me & quite wrong, morally..( & also in the absence of smell-a-
vision, I had no right to assume this.)

I will be honest with you. When I bothered to look a little further in to it,
the first thing that struck me was the fact that the flat/room looked &
appeared to be quite clean, & the cats were not bags of bones as I expected
them to be.
If I'm utterly honest, I was actually quite surprised.

Were you?

I was a bit sickened to watch them all fighting over a few morsels flung on
the floor, but as none of the cats appeared to be in a state of advanced
mange, or bags of bones, it would appear that she must feed them as best she
can, & probably even goes without herself, to make sure that they do get as
near as enough to eat as she is able to provide for them. I was wrong to
judge her so, & freely admit it.

However, there were far too many cats housed in one small room. They really
deserve more room. I don't know whether to feel peeved that she doesn't allow
them out, or berating myself for prejudging her with no good reason?

As it is Russia, I presume that she was actually doing her very best to make
sure that none of these cats had to survive the very sever cold extreme
temperatures that I believe they have over there- But, again, as I have never
been to Russia, so, again, rightly, or wrongly, I am assuming?!

I can't & wouldn't dispute the fact that there wasn't enough room of a single
cat to stretch out, without poking another cat up the backside though. I have
honestly never seen so many cats in one place before, & I can't help assuming
that the reason that there were so many there, was because they were probably
all related to one another, because frankly, I couldn't picture her taking
every single one of them down to the local vets to ensure that they were all
spayed & neutered, if only because of the cost factor involved here.

Anyway, quite a few of them looked so similar, that they could all come out
of the same Christmas cracker....

I don't know whether to commend her for her efforts, or condemn her for
allowing them to procreate into that situation!!!

I have a feeling that it is the later though, however much she appears to
care for them. I didn't notice a single kitten there, or, any cat litters
either, which was rather strange too (perhaps I didn't look close enough?

An unusual story though, but still rather sad........

Sheelagh"o"

--
Sheelagh "o"

Old August 19th 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Candace

On Aug 19, 11:29 am, "sheelagh via CatKB.com" u33188@uwe wrote:
Candace wrote:
http://englishrussia.com/?p=1199

Ugh, I thought I had problems. I love kitties but this is a bit much.

Candace

Hmmm, Yes!

I noticed this one yesterday as well, & I have to agree with you.
There were far too many to be housed in one small flat. The din (noise!!)
that they all made when they heard her coming with what they knew was dinner
time, it descended into utter bedlam, didn't it?

I'm hoping that that wasn't really dinner because she just came in
with a tiny bag of food and tossed some morsels. Maybe that was for
the filming of this video (I hope). I can't imagine what real dinner
would be like, how you could even get the bowls of food down for them
all as they were leap-frogging over each other left and right. It was
chaotic.

But they did all look good and healthy. No one was skinny or ragged-
looking. I don't know if they're fixed or not. I would hope so
because I think there would be a lot of spraying and mating and
humping and fighting and howling going on if not. That would really
be chaotic. I think they must be although I don't know how it
occurred. Maybe vet services aren't as pricey there or maybe some vet
or org helps her. Maybe she's wealthy. I didn't see an accompanying
story to go with the video and pictures anywhere.

The room looked like it was set up expressly for the cats. Maybe,
again, they were all contained there for the video filming. Maybe
normally they get to go out in the rest of the flat? At least in
shifts, maybe.

Candace

Old August 19th 07, 08:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Richard Evans

Candace wrote:

I don't know if they're fixed or not.

I think I saw a TV segment that said the males were fixed. I can't
imagine the howling of dozens of unspayed females in heat.
Old August 19th 07, 11:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Sat 18 Aug 2007 10:34:30p, Candace wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
roups.com:

http://englishrussia.com/?p=1199

Ugh, I thought I had problems. I love kitties but this is a bit
much.

Candace

I saw that the other day, but I didn't read any of the commentary
under the article. Hysterical! Those posters are worse than we can
get in this group.

--
Cheryl

Old August 20th 07, 12:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

"Cheryl" wrote in message
On Sat 18 Aug 2007 10:34:30p, Candace wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
roups.com:

http://englishrussia.com/?p=1199

Ugh, I thought I had problems. I love kitties but this is a bit
much.

Candace

I saw that the other day, but I didn't read any of the commentary
under the article. Hysterical! Those posters are worse than we can
get in this group.

--
Cheryl

Makes me want to line some of those people up and make sure they never breed