Sick Kitty: Help!

Old May 23rd 08, 02:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Chameleon

Default Sick Kitty: Help!

Hi there -

I have a male cat who is 2 years old. On Sunday, I noticed he was
sleeping more than usual so I took him to the vet on Tuesday when
there was no change.

We found out he lost 2 pounds sine March and was dehydrated. So we
ran
all the blood tests, Feline Aids and Leukimia, as well as an Xray. He
had 102 temp and a slightly enlarged kidney but the vet said there
was
nothing in the bloodwork to say he was having a problem. There was no
fluid in the lungs so we left with an Apetite stimulant.

It's Thursday now and he has NO energy. He is eating and drinking but
something is def wrong. He urinated once today but have not seen any
bowel movements.

Anyone had any idea what this sounds like? I have been researching
everything from Kidney failure to Poison to Depression. Please help!
He's my angel!

Thanks!

Old May 23rd 08, 02:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

This is certainly not normal! Call your vet right away and get him
another appointment. If this vet can't find anything, get copies of
your records and get another opinion elsewhere.

I wish you the best of luck. It's so hard when you don't know what's
wrong.

Rene
Old May 23rd 08, 06:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Chameleon[_2_]

On May 23, 9:11*am, "Rene S." wrote:
This is certainly not normal! Call your vet right away and get him
another appointment. If this vet can't find anything, get copies of
your records and get another opinion elsewhere.

I wish you the best of luck. It's so hard when you don't know what's
wrong.

Rene

Thanks guys - well went back to the vet. Red blood cell count is down
and he has a high level of a something starting with a B connected
with the reductiom of blood cells. We are giving him a sting anti-
biotic and steriod overnight with hydration and feeding. We hope to
see a small improvement tomorrow in his demeanor, BUT, wont know til
Tuesday of blood cells are improving. If not, then we are thinking
it's FIP.

Old May 25th 08, 12:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Chameleon[_2_]

--
**Visit me and my cats athttp://www.island-cats.com/**
---"Chameleon" wrote in message

On May 23, 9:11 am, "Rene S." wrote:

This is certainly not normal! Call your vet right away and get him
another appointment. If this vet can't find anything, get copies of
your records and get another opinion elsewhere.

I wish you the best of luck. It's so hard when you don't know what's
wrong.

Rene

Thanks guys - well went back to the vet. Red blood cell count is down
and he has a high level of a something starting with a B connected
with the reductiom of blood cells. We are giving him a sting anti-
biotic and steriod overnight with hydration and feeding. We hope to
see a small improvement tomorrow in his demeanor, BUT, wont know til
Tuesday of blood cells are improving. If not, then we are thinking
it's FIP.

I got a call this morning from the vet that his red blood cell count
improved to a 34 overnight and he was released until Tuesday (after
Memorial Day) when I go back for another appointment. After getting
off the IV, he was not eating at the vet but they said it could be
from stress.

I brought him home and he has been eating little bites of food every
so often. I also have been giving him water with an oversized
eyedropper. About 5ML at a time, every hour. I also picked up some
kitten formula and have been giving him about 2.5ML of that every
hour. He likes that alot.

He seems better but still very tired and lethargic. His eyes seem to
be more opened and his overall energy has increased slightly.

I was wondering if anyone knows of the kitten formula is OK? I will be
watching him all night tonight and keeping on him about food and
water. Hopefully we are just looking at a temp anemia and can get him
back to normal soon!!
Old May 27th 08, 05:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

I was wondering if anyone knows of the kitten formula is OK? I will be
watching him all night tonight and keeping on him about food and
water. Hopefully we are just looking at a temp anemia and can get him
back to normal soon!!

Right now, he needs to eat, so the kitten formula is ok for a short-
term diet. Since he is an adult, I wouldn't keep him on it
permanently, though. You could start slowly adding some adult wet food
to the mix and transition him back over the next week.
Old May 28th 08, 01:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Chameleon

On May 27, 12:37*pm, "Rene S." wrote:
I was wondering if anyone knows of the kitten formula is OK? I will be
watching him all night tonight and keeping on him about food and
water. Hopefully we are just looking at a temp anemia and can get him
back to normal soon!!

Right now, he needs to eat, so the kitten formula is ok for a short-
term diet. Since he is an adult, I wouldn't keep him on it
permanently, though. You could start slowly adding some adult wet food
to the mix and transition him back over the next week.

Thanks - we went back to the vet today for another red blood cell
test. We've gone from 23 to 34 and now 38%! So getting better but his
weight is at an all time low. Dr. said maybe because of the hospital
stay and not eating while there. He is eating dry food now and I am
supplementing with kitten formula. We've never really fed him table
food but I was wondering what I could give him ti fatten him up a
little that is healthy for him. Any suggestions?
Old May 28th 08, 02:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

Thanks - we went back to the vet today for another red blood cell
test. We've gone from 23 to 34 and now 38%! So getting better but his
weight is at an all time low. Dr. said maybe because of the hospital
stay and not eating while there. He is eating dry food now and I am
supplementing with kitten formula. We've never really fed him table
food but I was wondering what I could give him ti fatten him up a
little that is healthy for him. Any suggestions?

Some cats really love rotisierre (sp) chicken, without the skin. One
of mine adores Budhig brand lunch meats. You can also try Fancy Feast
canned; a previous vet of mine called it "McDonalds for cats" and
would often give it as a short-term food for entice cats to eat. You
can also try meat baby foods, such as turkey or chicken. Just make
sure it does not contain onion.