Allergies

Old April 14th 05, 03:34 AM

Default Allergies

I have had cats around for decades, and until the past couple years
never had a cat with an allergy. Now I have two, unrelated cats,
different ages, with allergies.

About 1 1/2 years ago one cat, Speedy, began loosing hair. Two different
vets said the same thing, flea allergy. Speedy got a shot and some pills
to take for a week or so. His hair grew back, I kept the Frontline on,
etc., but a few months after the hair filled in, it began thinning
again. Both vets again said it was a flea allergy and treatment began
again, and it worked.

Now the hair is beginning to thin again.

My question about this issue is, if the Frontline has been applied on a
regular monthly basis, why the flea allergy problem? Seem if there are
no fleas, there should be no allergy.

Now on to the 2nd cat. I noticed a small scratch at the edge of one eye
so took her to the vet. He took one quick look and said it was a bad
allergy. He also looked in the front of the mouth and said there was
some swelling, so was positive it was an allergy. Got a shot and some
eye drops.

Where do allergies come from? Why is it over 30+ years of cat ownership,
not one cat until now has had an allergy?

Before the allergy showed up in Speedy, all the cats ate was dry food. I
began splitting one can among the three each day. Is there anything in
canned food more likely to cause allergies than dry food?

Old April 14th 05, 04:18 AM
Betsy

I'd say you need a new vet or a second opinion.

I'm in the same boat as you, and extremely frustrated. I have also a long
history of cat ownership, and also now have 2 cats with severe allergies.
Melon has no fleas (never has) and is losing her hair in exactly the same
way. I am unwilling to keep treating her with prednisone. And Terzi is
sneezing and wheezing.

I am hoping once the weather warms up and they get more fresh air that they
will improve. If not, I'm considering a dermatologist. I do hope such a
thing exists!

I am feeding ultra premium food because of Willie's IBD, so although it may
be food related, it definitely isn't because of the quality of the food!

Old April 14th 05, 05:38 AM
Karen

in article ,
at
wrote on 4/13/05 9:34 PM:

[...]

I really don't know, but I think it IS more frequent and not just because we
are more attentive. Personally, I think it is environmental. I think it is
the same with we humans and other animals as well. Why is it that horses in
the U.S. have breathing and bleeding problems much worse than in years gone
by, but in places like Saudi Arabia, horses can race without the same lung
and bleeding problems? Most horsemen chalk it up to the increased pollution,
and I really believe it. I think it affects everyone and takes their immune
system down. Anecdotal, but I really think that is why.