Must Discuss the Kitties' Welfair

Old July 25th 10, 05:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.rescue
Granby

Default Must Discuss the Kitties' Welfair

Fun for one is not fun or a challenge for the other. Glad we are not all
the same, how boring.
"Stormmee" wrote in message
if you are referring to meowchat, please do not disparage something you
don't understand, if you are referring to something else please ignore
this post, Lee
"Bill Graham" wrote in message

"Kyla =^..^=" wrote in message

"nice guy" nice wrote in message
What is 'Welfair'?

Its, "welfare" for someone who, (for some reason or other) doesn't want
to use a spell checker and attempt to write in plain English, but prefers
to cover up spelling mistakes by writing in some sort of intentional
gibberish.

Old July 25th 10, 06:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.rescue
Stormmee

i do agree with this and i think it was pam s that said looking at it gave
her a headache, i can understand this also... sorry pam if i misquoted
you,... and while i do really enjoy rpcc, i can't for example write poetry,

Old July 25th 10, 08:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.rescue
jmc[_2_]

Suddenly, without warning, Stormmee exclaimed (7/25/2010 8:41 AM):
"Kyla =^..^=" wrote in message
"nice guy" nice wrote in message
What is 'Welfair'?

Its, "welfare" for someone who, (for some reason or other) doesn't want to
use a spell checker and attempt to write in plain English, but prefers to
cover up spelling mistakes by writing in some sort of intentional
gibberish.

What he's suggesting is this is not an appropriate place for meowchat.
I'm another one who chooses not to read it. No cheezburgers here

jmc
Old July 25th 10, 11:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.rescue
Bill Graham

"Kyla =^..^=" wrote in message
"nice guy" nice wrote in message
What is 'Welfair'?

Its, "welfare" for someone who, (for some reason or other) doesn't want
to use a spell checker and attempt to write in plain English, but
prefers to cover up spelling mistakes by writing in some sort of
intentional gibberish.

What he's suggesting is this is not an appropriate place for meowchat. I'm
another one who chooses not to read it. No cheezburgers here

jmc

I usually don't either....For one thing, they top post, which also annoys
me....But I was answering some one else's comment with an observation of my
own. It must be very hard to write such gibberish.....Also, it would tend to
make correct spelling more difficult, just in case you needed to spell
something correctly.....Like filling out a resume for a job as an English
teacher. (for example......:^)

Old July 29th 10, 01:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.rescue
Stormmee

it must be difficult to be so pompus,
-the posts were cross posted, i didn't do that.
-take a lesson from mary l and jmc, choose not to read it, but don't be
abusive and rude about something you don't choose to participate in, again
read mary l's polite and thought ful post,

Lee.. who doesn't need to fill out a resume as she has been self employeed
for the last twenty years or so

Old August 2nd 10, 06:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.rescue
Bill Graham

"Kyla =^..^=" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry its taken so long for me to reply to your posts.....I really don't
mean to be so "pompous". But there has been a movement over the last twenty
or thirty years to trash the traditional spelling of the English language,
and, "modernize it" into a faster, more streamlined format that simplifies
it and makes it easier to learn, as well as more phonetic to read. I am
against this movement for the following reason. The origins of our words
interests me greatly, and it is possible, from their spelling, to ascertain
their roots and history. English comes from not only Greek and Latin
origins, but also Germanic and Norse beginnings. It is true that it is a,
"Living language" in that it is always changing and taking on new words, but
many of these come from different languages and have a "history" of their
own. I really have nothing against misspelling for fun, and I have seen many
cleaver poems written in this way. Its just that one of my hobbies has been
trying to figure out the meanings of words from their spelling subtleties,
and I can visualize a day when this will be impossible should the
modernizers win out, so I do what I can to discourage it.

Old August 2nd 10, 08:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.rescue
Stormmee

I too love words, but that has no relationship to meow chat, rpcc is in
short the cats version of narnia or harry potter, it is just a way to do
creative writing. it is no more or less important than that to the broader
society or english written or spoken word. if you want to get worked up
over something go and read the text messages of a few teens or avid texters,
now that is something to get worked up over if you are worried about the
advancement of any written or spoken word, Lee

Old August 2nd 10, 08:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.rescue
Bill Graham

"Stormmee" wrote in message
I too love words, but that has no relationship to meow chat, rpcc is in
short the cats version of narnia or harry potter, it is just a way to do
creative writing. it is no more or less important than that to the broader
society or english written or spoken word. if you want to get worked up
over something go and read the text messages of a few teens or avid
texters, now that is something to get worked up over if you are worried
about the advancement of any written or spoken word, Lee

Tell me about it.....I raised three myself, and I had to teach them all
English, (as well as maths) Our teachers here are unbelievable, and getting
worse all the time......

Old August 2nd 10, 08:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.rescue
Sherry

On Aug 2, 2:07*pm, "Bill Graham" wrote:
"Stormmee" wrote in message

I too love words, but that has no relationship to meow chat, rpcc is in
short the cats version of narnia or harry potter, it is just a way to do
creative writing. *it is no more or less important than that to the broader
society or english written or spoken word. *if you want to get worked up
over something go and read the text messages of a few teens or avid
texters, now that is something to get worked up over if you are worried
about the advancement of any written or spoken word, Lee

Tell me about it.....I raised three myself, and I had to teach them all
English, (as well as maths) Our teachers here are unbelievable, and getting
worse all the time......

Well, you can't blame the teachers for text message content.
The kids (and adults!) have kind of come up with that on their
own. :-)
Doesn't bother me as long as it's kept in the context of text
messaging.
Kind of a *******ized version of shorthand.
And as long as they know proper grammar, punctuation and
capitalization
when they need it. And I agree that's becoming a failing in our school
system.
Bad spelling, capitalization, etc. just screams "Correspondence with
you isn't important enough for me to use spellcheck" nowadays.

Sherry
Old August 3rd 10, 03:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.rescue
Bill Graham

"Stormmee" wrote in message

[...]

Ah yes....Text messaging. I don't understand why the young set likes it so
much. To me, It is vastly inferior to just talking on the telephone. And,
because the world if full of idiots that do it while driving, and run off
the road and crash and burn, they make laws that prevent me from talking on
my cell phone while driving, because apparently, the lawmakers can't tell
the difference between talking, and reading.....I have spent my life driving
while talking. I do it with passengers, with the radio, and with citizens
band transceivers in trucks.
but now, because some idiots try to read the tiny printing on their cell
phone screens while driving, I can't answer my cell phone while in my car
anymore! The other day, When I was on my way to pick up a friend, he phoned
me to tell me he couldn't make it, and I stopped right in the middle of an
intersection to answer my cell phone, much to the disgust of everyone else
on the road.....I wonder how long it will take to get the lawmakers to
realize that there is a difference between talking and reading.......

Discuss Nutralime harry Cat community 0 February 22nd 10 02:41 PM
lets discuss shelters Stormmee Cat anecdotes 8 March 8th 09 08:11 PM
An idea to discuss (recipes/rpca emergency fund) Debbie Wilson Cat anecdotes 56 December 24th 04 09:19 PM
For Those Who Want To Peacefully Discuss Cats Cat Protector Cat health & behaviour 58 February 29th 04 11:38 PM