ear tipping question

Old February 21st 04, 01:18 AM
RedRiver35

Default ear tipping question

Good evening ladies and gentlemen:

I am concerned about ear tipping my ferals.

I don't have a "colony" as such, and I don't see most of the cats for
much more than 4 months. There really will be no one here to feed
them when I move away.

Several have not returned after being trapped and fixed.

Under these circumstances should I tip their ears? Will someone see
them in the future and not feed them because they think they are already
being cared for?

Tip - yes or no?

Chelle
"The day may come when the rest of the animal creation may acquire those rights
which never could have been withholden from them but by the hand of tyranny.
The question is not can they REASON, nor can they TALK, but can they SUFFER?"
-- Jeremy Bentham
Old February 22nd 04, 12:13 AM
frlpwr

RedRiver35 wrote:

Good evening ladies and gentlemen:

I am concerned about ear tipping my ferals.

I don't have a "colony" as such, and I don't see most of the cats for
much more than 4 months. There really will be no one here to feed
them when I move away.

You should start looking for replacement feeders well before your
departure. It is irresponsible to make feral cats dependent on you for
food and then simply disappear. Canvass your neighborhood for
cat-friendly individuals. Offer to provide food for anyone willing to
take on the task of feeding. Don't leave the cats high and dry!!!

Several have not returned after being trapped and fixed.

It's not unusual for nomadic males to return to their own territories
after being neutered nor for short-time feral residents to be so
frightened by the T/N exerpience that they look for another place to
live.

Under these circumstances should I tip their ears?

Absolutely. The purpose of ear-tipping is to indicate to subsequent
caregivers that the cat has been altered. That way, neither the
caregiver nor the cat has to go through the unpleasantness of
re-trapping and vetting.

Will someone see them in the future and not feed them because they
think they are already being cared for?

I doubt it. Anyone familiar with ear-tipping knows enough about ferals
to figure out they've got a hungry, altered feral on their hands.

Also, in my area, ear-tipping saves cats' lives. Any tipped ear cat
that is impounded at the public shelter is automatically bailed out of
jail by the SPCA feral cat program and released near the site where it
was trapped. Participation in the feral cat S/N program is so
widespread in San Francisco that it isn't hard to find a number of
caregivers in an area who are willing to allow the "jailbird" to be
released in their colony. Many times, the program coordinator can
pinpoint the exact colony the impounded cat is from and can reunite the
cat with the colony overseer.

Tip - yes or no?

No question about it, yes.

Old February 22nd 04, 12:23 AM
Wendy

I guess it would depend on what tipping meant in the area you're in. I think
here they tip so they know the cat has been fixed and it has little to do
with whether someone is feeding them or not. That could differ in other
areas so maybe you could check with local rescue groups to see what their
understanding is when they encounter a tipped cat.