declaw or not to declaw?

Old March 29th 08, 08:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Annie[_2_]

Default declaw or not to declaw?

i need to declaw my little mitzi because she is tearing up
the furniture but my sister says thats cruel

the vet says its fine and i believe him over my sister
because she is one of those peta nuts who puts the welfare of
animals over that of people

annie
Old March 29th 08, 08:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

Annie wrote in news:Xns9A7070BCBD56D1234567@
194.177.98.144:

i need to declaw my little mitzi because she is tearing up
the furniture but my sister says thats cruel

the vet says its fine and i believe him over my sister
because she is one of those peta nuts who puts the welfare of
animals over that of people

annie

Thank you for sharing
Old March 29th 08, 08:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen AKA Kajikit

On 29 Mar 2008 20:05:05 +0100, Annie
wrote:

i need to declaw my little mitzi because she is tearing up
the furniture but my sister says thats cruel

the vet says its fine and i believe him over my sister
because she is one of those peta nuts who puts the welfare of
animals over that of people

You can't possibly be serious... but just in case you are just
uninformed - declawing: DON'T DO IT! If you can't look after the cat
and you can't cope with its normal catly behaviour, give it to
somebody else who can (sounds like your sister would be a good
candidate.) Our cats have all their claws and they have never wilfully
destroyed any piece of furniture in our apartment because they have
plenty of legitimate places to scratch.
Old March 29th 08, 09:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine K.

Annie kirjoitti:
i need to declaw my little mitzi because she is tearing up
the furniture but my sister says thats cruel

the vet says its fine and i believe him over my sister
because she is one of those peta nuts who puts the welfare of
animals over that of people

annie

You're probably just a troll, but just in case you're ignorant about it,
here goes... Have you ever thought what is actually done when a cat is
declawed?? It has its toes amputated at the first joint of the toe.
Imagine having your own fingers cut off at the joint right after the nail.

Here's some extensive information on declawing and why not to do it:
http://amby.com/cat_site/declaw.html

Before getting a cat, you should have gathered information about its
natural behaviour and how to deal with it humanely - such as providing
it with legitimate scratching surfaces, scratching poles and the like.
Or maybe you belong to those people who get pets and treat them as toys
and not like living beings. When you get bored with it or it "gets
broken" you throw it away...

--
Christine in Laitila, Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old March 29th 08, 09:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Default DON'T FALL FOR IT

I am so glad someone called this one for what it is. This is a subject that
will never be solved and I would bet most anything that someone looked up
the history and decided to start all the anger and sparring all over again.
Thank you Matthew for stopping it before it blew up again.
"Matthew" wrote in message

"Karen AKA Kajikit"

Don't fall for it Karen. Look at how it was posted the style of writing.
A nobody posting from a known trouble ISP means troll IMO.

All it is is someone trying to stir up problems if not they know what
google is.

It always starts with a nobody or newbie with one of the debates either
insode/outside or declaw/not to declaw

PEOPLE DON'T FALL FOR IT

Old March 29th 08, 09:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"Annie" wrote in message
i need to declaw my little mitzi because she is tearing up
the furniture but my sister says thats cruel

the vet says its fine and i believe him over my sister
because she is one of those peta nuts who puts the welfare of
animals over that of people

annie

The welfare of animals is very seldom contrary to the welfare of people.
When you start to think it is, you really need to reassess the situation.

You never NEED to declaw a cat. It is mutilation, pure and simple. (And I
think the PETA crowd are a bunch of nuts)

It being wrong and bad and expensive aside, it usually doesn't have the
desired effect. You are likely to go from a cat with a very normal need to
claw at something to a frustrated and damaged cat who will do just about
anything else to express itself. Inappropriate peeing, biting, etc can just
about be expected. After all, now its hard to dig and cover in a litter
box, and now the teeth are the only defense left.

Many, many cats who have been declawed as a 'last resort' are then disposed
of as a further measure because they become really unmanageable.

If you can't provide a better place to scratch than the furniture or keep
the cat away from the furniture, it would probably be better to find Mitzi a
new home with someone who actually loves cats. Claws and all.

Jo

Old March 29th 08, 09:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Annie[_2_]

"Christine K." wrote in
:

Annie kirjoitti:
[...]

i appreciate the link but i dont appreciate the name-calling
and the personal attacks from you and from other people

my vet said declawing should be the last resort and i have
tried everything else so it is the last resort

i love mitzi and im not going to give her away when i can
keep her if i just have a procedure done that is no worse
than when i had her spayed

Old March 29th 08, 09:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Annie[_2_]

"Matthew" wrote in
:

"Annie" wrote in message
i need to declaw my little mitzi because she is tearing up
the furniture but my sister says thats cruel

the vet says its fine and i believe him over my sister
because she is one of those peta nuts who puts the welfare

of
animals over that of people

annie

Try Google and learn something

"Is Declawing really that cruel?"
http://network.bestfriends.org/Blogs...il.aspx?bp=325
"Declawing cats is a very hot topic for debate. For many
years now, animal rights people have lied and deceived the
public into believing that declawing cats is the most
inhumane and horrible procedure on the planet. The truth is,
is a common surgical procedure done under anesthesia and if
done correctly, there will not be any lasting effects..."

Hopefully this group won't fall for some nobody starting

this debate
gain specially one from a known troll ISP

thank you for that warm welcome