colitis

Old December 1st 03, 04:14 PM
afr

Default colitis

The switch from dry to canned (to manage FLUTD) seems to be resulting in
some mild colitis in my cat. My doc has given me an anointment to put on
his behind, but I'm concerned about his internal comfort level.

He isn't eating as much as he was initially, and I'm assuming it's because
of this. Any suggestions?

Thank you,.

ava

Old December 2nd 03, 03:29 AM
afr

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Cheryl wrote:

In g,
afr composed with style:
The switch from dry to canned (to manage FLUTD) seems to be
resulting in some mild colitis in my cat. My doc has given me an
anointment to put on his behind, but I'm concerned about his
internal comfort level.

He isn't eating as much as he was initially, and I'm assuming it's
because of this. Any suggestions?

Thank you,.

ava

Ava, what are his symptoms? Sounds like diarrhea from your
description, but is there anything more?

I think there may be some diarreah. Clumps of something below the surface
in the clumping litter.(But the poop at the top of the litter is very firm
and formed and normal.) Also, he was "skooting" a few days after putting
him on the soft food. Doc checked anal glands and no fluid in them. He
said it looked like he had some hemmorhoidal tissue, as if he was
straining to poop. I noticed it because he was skooting and his behind was
inflamed. Never ever this behavior before the soft food and fluids
(except for a year ago when anal glands were full, but checked that, as
I said, and not full now.)Doc said colitis. He gave me aminax to put on
his behind.

The symptom that concerns me the most is when he goes to his food bowl
(I've got one bowl of IVD Select Care and Waltham SO, separated by his
water bowl), he'll take a few slurps, but then lose interest.

Sigh. I've finally got the fluids down and now this.

The really odd thing is that his energy level and overall affect look
noraml! You'd never know he was only eating the equivalent of about 3
tablespoons of food per day. This began saturday. Last week, when he
stopped eating, I ran out and bought Walthams. That lasted for a few days,
and then he grew tired of both of them.

I wonder if this food that keeps his urine ph neutral is irritating his
colon. I don't know what the heck you do about that. And I have a hunch
when vet gets back in town on Wed., she won't know either.

ava

Old December 2nd 03, 04:58 AM
afr

yeah, the food switch was abrupt...because of the FLUTD..he had been on
flynt river ranch dry his whole life...and after being blocked, had to go
on ph neutral moist. Hope he adjusts.

ava

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Cheryl wrote:

In . org,
afr composed with style:

I wonder if this food that keeps his urine ph neutral is irritating
his colon. I don't know what the heck you do about that. And I have
a hunch when vet gets back in town on Wed., she won't know either.

ava

How did you do the food switch? Was it gradual? I've read that an
irritable bowel can result in first hard, normal feces with liquidy
behind it which could be what you see clumped under the stool in the
box. I just think that it takes time to get everything settled when
you have to make dietary changes, and the fluids could possibly cause
some diarrhea initially until his body gets used to it. Did he eat
his old food ok? Or was that what tipped you off to a problem? When
the vet comes back, ask about how to switch to the new food, i.e. if
you can mix in some old food with it (dry, I think you said?). You
may have posted more info prior to this post but I haven't had time to
read here much in the last several days or so. I have _no_ experience
with FLUTD but I sure have had my share of cat bowel problems!

Old December 4th 03, 04:05 AM
Liz

[...]

Hi Ava. I have a cat that recently developed "allergic" colitis. I
changed his food and now he´s fine, didn´t even need meds. Try
switching him to a different food, for example, one with a different
protein source. If you are using one with lamb, try switching to one
with chicken. Since you´re using Waltham, here´s one for colitis:

http://www.walthamusa.com/LearningCe...tedProtein.htm

If you stick to canned, FLUTD will most likely not recur. I hope a new
diet works for your kitty too.

Old December 4th 03, 08:07 AM
Phil P.

"afr" wrote in message
. org...

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Cheryl wrote:

In g,
afr composed with style:
The switch from dry to canned (to manage FLUTD) seems to be
resulting in some mild colitis in my cat.

My doc has given me an
anointment to put on his behind, but I'm concerned about his
internal comfort level.

He isn't eating as much as he was initially, and I'm assuming it's
because of this. Any suggestions?

Thank you,.

ava

Ava, what are his symptoms? Sounds like diarrhea from your
description, but is there anything more?

I think there may be some diarreah. Clumps of something below the surface
in the clumping litter.(But the poop at the top of the litter is very firm
and formed and normal.)

"Very firm" stools accompanied by what appears to be diarrhea may be an
indication that the stools may be too hard and dry... What appears to be
diarrhea may actually be "liquid feces" caused by the mucosal irritant
effect of hard, dry stools and the physical trauma to the colonic mucosa
from straining against hard dry stools.

Also, he was "skooting" a few days after putting
him on the soft food. Doc checked anal glands and no fluid in them. He
said it looked like he had some hemmorhoidal tissue, as if he was
straining to poop.

Cats don't get hemorrhoids... The "hemmorhoidal tissue" is probably a
partial rectal prolapse - which can be caused by straining to poop or from
diarrhea.

You may want to consider seeking a second opinion....

I noticed it because he was skooting and his behind was
inflamed. Never ever this behavior before the soft food and fluids
(except for a year ago when anal glands were full, but checked that, as
I said, and not full now.)Doc said colitis. He gave me aminax to put on
his behind.

Are you sure its "aminax" and not "amimax". Amimax is a aminoglycoside --
cats are very sensitive to the vestibular effects of this type of drug...

The symptom that concerns me the most is when he goes to his food bowl
(I've got one bowl of IVD Select Care and Waltham SO, separated by his
water bowl), he'll take a few slurps, but then lose interest.

Sigh. I've finally got the fluids down and now this.

The really odd thing is that his energy level and overall affect look
noraml! You'd never know he was only eating the equivalent of about 3
tablespoons of food per day. This began saturday. Last week, when he
stopped eating, I ran out and bought Walthams. That lasted for a few days,
and then he grew tired of both of them.

I wonder if this food that keeps his urine ph neutral is irritating his
colon. I don't know what the heck you do about that. And I have a hunch
when vet gets back in town on Wed., she won't know either.

You cat might be constipated... which can cause anorexia.

If I were you, I'd seek a second opinion.

Good luck.

Phil.

ava