Toilet training ??

Old July 14th 03, 04:49 PM
dgk

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 21:57:02 -0500, victoria
wrote:

It has been proven, and any decent vet will back this up, that a
strictly outdoor cat has the aversage lifespan of 10 years while an
outrdoor/indoor 15 years and an indoor cat 20 years. this is due to
the fact they are not having to stress themselves out over teritory or
scrap in fights with each other for territory,food or mating rights.
All my cats have been rescued strays and love being indooors,to th
point of not even wanting outdoors at all-garage a different
story.LOL!

I agree with your general point but can't believe those numbers. An
indoor cat has an average lifespan of 20 years? No way. Most cats are
dead by 12 or 13, even indoor ones, according to my vet. And that is
my experience also.

And I would think that a strictly outdoor cat would have a lifespan of
much less than 10 years.

Old July 14th 03, 05:43 PM
*~*SooZy*~*

"M.C. Mullen" wrote in message

"victoria" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

| It has been proven, and any decent vet will back this up, that a
| strictly outdoor cat has the aversage lifespan of 10 years while an
| outrdoor/indoor 15 years and an indoor cat 20 years. this is due to
| the fact they are not having to stress themselves out over teritory or
| scrap in fights with each other for territory,food or mating rights.
| All my cats have been rescued strays and love being indooors,to th
| point of not even wanting outdoors at all-garage a different
| story.LOL!

I have heard and read that *outdoor* cats live longer...unless they're
involved in an accident of course.
So it seems these studies (yours and mine!) are all made up.

Carola

yes if they live away from the traffic and other nasty pussy cats! I should
imagine they would..... I have 2 indoor cats.

Old July 14th 03, 05:43 PM
*~*SooZy*~*

Old July 14th 03, 06:26 PM
M.C. Mullen

"dgk" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
| On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 21:57:02 -0500, victoria
| wrote:
|

| It has been proven, and any decent vet will back this up, that a
| strictly outdoor cat has the aversage lifespan of 10 years while an
| outrdoor/indoor 15 years and an indoor cat 20 years. this is due to
| the fact they are not having to stress themselves out over teritory or
| scrap in fights with each other for territory,food or mating rights.
| All my cats have been rescued strays and love being indooors,to th
| point of not even wanting outdoors at all-garage a different
| story.LOL!
|

| I agree with your general point but can't believe those numbers. An
| indoor cat has an average lifespan of 20 years? No way. Most cats are
| dead by 12 or 13, even indoor ones, according to my vet. And that is
| my experience also.
|
| And I would think that a strictly outdoor cat would have a lifespan of
| much less than 10 years.

Oh, no, no! My first cat lived for well over twenty years. In fact we lost
track counting the years because nobody wrote the date down when she was
born. She only saw the vet twice: When she was spayed and when she had to be
put to sleep. She was always outside but never moved far away. She was very
cautious.
Nera, all black, was a super cat. I was allowed to pick the kitten. I felt
sorry for the black tiny and shy one hiding in the corner. So she was the
choice. I still miss her. She was my companion right through my childhood.
She used to come and greet me down the lane when I came home from school.

Carola

Old July 14th 03, 06:26 PM
M.C. Mullen

Old July 14th 03, 08:43 PM
Invincible (Shazza De Coon)

Did you know that "black" cats are the survivors? That's what the shelter
volunteers told me, as they are not easily seen or noticed by other prey.
That also explains the large number of black cats in the feral population.
Seeing a white cat surviving in the woods would be slim and none.

As for the indoor/outdoor cat argument, my grandmother had a strictly
outdoor male cat that she allowed in the house only when it was extremely
cold in the winter. That cat lived for twenty years. The cat never visited
the vet, wasn't neutered, and occasionally appeared on her doorstep with
battle wounds. My grandmother lived in the country, a very rural area, with
hardly any traffic.

--
Visit my new webpage -
http://mywebpage.netscape.com/Aeris5000/cats.html