Crossed eyes

Old December 2nd 03, 04:44 PM
Mary

Default Crossed eyes

I'm still thinking about my neighbor's new adoptee that she rescued
from death row.

Her eyes are crossed. Does this mean she sees the way I do if I cross
my eyes? Anyone else with cross-eyed cats? My neighbor is willing to
have them fixed if she can, if the vet says the cat will be happier. I
have to say, though, they make this big, creamy, fluffy and floppy
blue-eyed girl look even cuter!

Old December 3rd 03, 06:47 PM
Alison

"Mary" wrote in message
om...
I'm still thinking about my neighbor's new adoptee that she rescued
from death row.

Her eyes are crossed. Does this mean she sees the way I do if I

cross
my eyes? Anyone else with cross-eyed cats? My neighbor is willing to
have them fixed if she can, if the vet says the cat will be happier.

have to say, though, they make this big, creamy, fluffy and floppy
blue-eyed girl look even cuter!

Hi Mary ,
Has you neighbour discussed this with the vet ? Would they be able
to do something like this ?
This is my take on it . A cats vision is like ours , except the
colours are muted and reds and greens look the same. So I guess he
would see the same as you when you cross your eyes. How ever, the cat
has seen like this from birth and his brain will be wired to see
cross-eyed. If his eyes were straightened, he would have to adjust
and relearn things .
Experiments on kittens vision in the 60's (euw!) showed that when
they took off eyepatches with slits after several weeks,(which had
been on since they opened their eyes) , the kittens couldn't see
things like chair legs and would walk into them .

Alison

Old December 4th 03, 02:05 AM
Mary

"Alison" wrote in message

Hi Mary ,
Has you neighbour discussed this with the vet ? Would they be able
to do something like this ?

They went to the vet yesterday afternoon but I haven't been able to
catch up with them since. I'll try again tomorrow. I'm anxious to know
what the vet had to say about the cat because she is a pound cat, not
a shelter cat.

This is my take on it . A cats vision is like ours , except the
colours are muted and reds and greens look the same. So I guess he
would see the same as you when you cross your eyes. How ever, the

cat
has seen like this from birth and his brain will be wired to see
cross-eyed. If his eyes were straightened, he would have to adjust
and relearn things .

So he can see correctly, then?

Experiments on kittens vision in the 60's (euw!) showed that when
they took off eyepatches with slits after several weeks,(which

had
been on since they opened their eyes) , the kittens couldn't see
things like chair legs and would walk into them .

Alison, this research sounds very creepy. What was the point?

Alison

Old December 4th 03, 05:41 PM
G C

"Mary" wrote in news:zLvzb.52452$Vu5.3598276
@twister.southeast.rr.com:

"Alison" wrote in message

Experiments on kittens vision in the 60's (euw!) showed that when
they took off eyepatches with slits after several weeks,(which had
been on since they opened their eyes) , the kittens couldn't see
things like chair legs and would walk into them .

Alison, this research sounds very creepy. What was the point?

I'm not familiar with the experiments (nor am I Alison), but I would guess
that someone wanted to study brain and vision development in mammals.

Old December 5th 03, 12:12 AM
William Hamblen

On 2003-12-02, Mary wrote:

Her eyes are crossed. Does this mean she sees the way I do if I cross
my eyes? Anyone else with cross-eyed cats? My neighbor is willing to
have them fixed if she can, if the vet says the cat will be happier. I
have to say, though, they make this big, creamy, fluffy and floppy
blue-eyed girl look even cuter!

There's no treatment for cross-eyed cats. Crossed eyes are common in
Siamese and Himalayan cats. As far as I know they don't see double
or have amblyopia.

Old December 5th 03, 12:12 AM
William Hamblen

Old December 5th 03, 12:27 AM
Sherry

On 2003-12-02, Mary wrote:

Her eyes are crossed. Does this mean she sees the way I do if I cross
my eyes? Anyone else with cross-eyed cats? My neighbor is willing to
have them fixed if she can, if the vet says the cat will be happier. I
have to say, though, they make this big, creamy, fluffy and floppy
blue-eyed girl look even cuter!

There's no treatment for cross-eyed cats. Crossed eyes are common in
Siamese and Himalayan cats. As far as I know they don't see double
or have amblyopia.

I've seen lots of cross-eyed cats come through the shelter, and had one
cross-eyed Siamese as a child. As far as I know, the cat could see just fine.
Either that or he compensated, because he was quite a hunter.

Sherry