High-rise hawks allowed to return

Old December 15th 04, 02:03 PM
Victor Martinez

Default High-rise hawks allowed to return

High-rise hawks allowed to return
Hawk advocate arrested on charges of harassment

Wednesday, December 15, 2004 Posted: 8:10 AM EST (1310 GMT)

NEW YORK (AP) -- Two celebrated red-tailed hawks whose eviction from
their nest high atop a chic Manhattan building sparked protests from
bird watchers will be allowed to rebuild their home in the same spot.

E.J. McAdams, executive director of the New York City Audubon Society,
said architects hired by the building's co-op board have developed new
nesting area designs that could get the birds back by the end of the week.

But despite the agreement Tuesday, all was not calm outside 927 Fifth Ave.

An advocate for the two famous hawks was arrested and charged with
harassing CNN anchor Paula Zahn, who lives in the building, and her
husband and two young sons, law enforcement sources said.

Lincoln Karim, 43, was arrested by plainclothes detectives as he
prepared to lead a demonstration outside the building on behalf of Pale
Male and his mate, Lola.

Karim, a video engineer for Associated Press Television News who has
devoted most of his spare time and thousands of dollars worth of
equipment to recording the hawks, was expected to be arraigned Wednesday.

Police described four separate incidents in which they alleged he
angrily approached either Zahn; her husband, Richard Cohen; or their two
sons, ages 7 and 11, outside the building.

Cohen is president of the co-op building's board. Like many apartment
buildings in New York City, the building is run by a cooperative and a
board of directors.

Karim was charged with multiple counts of aggravated harassment and one
count of endangering the welfare of a child, said Paul Browne, a police
spokesman. Three law enforcement sources, speaking on condition of
anonymity, identified the complainant as Zahn.

Karim was being represented by a lawyer arranged for him by another
famous resident of 927 Fifth -- actress Mary Tyler Moore, also an ardent
advocate for the hawks.

The incident came shortly before the building's co-op board and The
Audubon Society announced an agreement to restore the pigeon spikes that
had held the nest in place until a week ago.

"All parties were pleased by the outcome," Cohen said in a statement
given to reporters Tuesday.

The two red-tailed hawks, who have been the subject of a book and at
least two television documentaries, have remained nearby in Central Park
since their nest was removed.

Besides the spikes, the new design will feature a guardrail around the
12th-floor window cornice to address safety concerns. While there was no
guarantee what Pale Male and Lola would do, McAdams predicted that they
would rebuild their nest on the same spot.

But Moore expressed skepticism about the deal. "I don't believe anything
until I see it," she said.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old December 15th 04, 02:13 PM
Kreisleriana

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 14:03:21 GMT, Victor Martinez
yodeled:

High-rise hawks allowed to return
Hawk advocate arrested on charges of harassment

Wednesday, December 15, 2004 Posted: 8:10 AM EST (1310 GMT)

NEW YORK (AP) -- Two celebrated red-tailed hawks whose eviction from
their nest high atop a chic Manhattan building sparked protests from
bird watchers will be allowed to rebuild their home in the same spot.

I just hope they will come back now. I feel that the building
management dragged this out as much as they could, hoping the birds
would just go away.

Theresa
Old December 15th 04, 02:23 PM
jmcquown

Kreisleriana wrote:
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 14:03:21 GMT, Victor Martinez
yodeled:

High-rise hawks allowed to return
Hawk advocate arrested on charges of harassment

Wednesday, December 15, 2004 Posted: 8:10 AM EST (1310 GMT)

NEW YORK (AP) -- Two celebrated red-tailed hawks whose eviction from
their nest high atop a chic Manhattan building sparked protests from
bird watchers will be allowed to rebuild their home in the same spot.

I just hope they will come back now. I feel that the building
management dragged this out as much as they could, hoping the birds
would just go away.

Theresa

Probably so. Hasn't it been more than a week since the nest was destroyed?
They've probably built another one already.

Jill

Old December 15th 04, 04:16 PM
Karen

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 14:03:21 GMT, Victor Martinez
yodeled:

High-rise hawks allowed to return
Hawk advocate arrested on charges of harassment

Wednesday, December 15, 2004 Posted: 8:10 AM EST (1310 GMT)

NEW YORK (AP) -- Two celebrated red-tailed hawks whose eviction from
their nest high atop a chic Manhattan building sparked protests from
bird watchers will be allowed to rebuild their home in the same spot.

I just hope they will come back now. I feel that the building
management dragged this out as much as they could, hoping the birds
would just go away.

I kind of think they will if these "Guard rails" are put in quickly. If it
takes too long however, they won't.

Theresa

Old December 15th 04, 04:33 PM
jmcquown

Karen wrote:
"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 14:03:21 GMT, Victor Martinez
yodeled:

High-rise hawks allowed to return
Hawk advocate arrested on charges of harassment

Wednesday, December 15, 2004 Posted: 8:10 AM EST (1310 GMT)

NEW YORK (AP) -- Two celebrated red-tailed hawks whose eviction from
their nest high atop a chic Manhattan building sparked protests from
bird watchers will be allowed to rebuild their home in the same
spot.

I just hope they will come back now. I feel that the building
management dragged this out as much as they could, hoping the birds
would just go away.

I kind of think they will if these "Guard rails" are put in quickly.
If it takes too long however, they won't.

Probably will take them longer to install them than it did to rip them out.

I was gladdened to hear the "protester", Karim, has an attorney hired by
Mary Tyler Moore, an advocate of the hawks. The guy probably doesn't have
the funds to fight the president of the co-op and a CNN newscaster. I do
think, however (assuming he actually did this) he should not have approached
the children of this couple. But last time I checked, arranging a protest
was constitutional AND unless threatening, approaching a member of the media
for comments is sort of within public domain. After all, CNN reported the
story - she just happens to live in the building.

Jill

Theresa

Old December 15th 04, 04:38 PM
Kreisleriana

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 08:23:50 -0600, "jmcquown"
yodeled:

Kreisleriana wrote:
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 14:03:21 GMT, Victor Martinez
yodeled:

High-rise hawks allowed to return
Hawk advocate arrested on charges of harassment

Wednesday, December 15, 2004 Posted: 8:10 AM EST (1310 GMT)

NEW YORK (AP) -- Two celebrated red-tailed hawks whose eviction from
their nest high atop a chic Manhattan building sparked protests from
bird watchers will be allowed to rebuild their home in the same spot.

I just hope they will come back now. I feel that the building
management dragged this out as much as they could, hoping the birds
would just go away.

Theresa

Probably so. Hasn't it been more than a week since the nest was destroyed?
They've probably built another one already.

It was a week ago. They spent several days unsuccessfully trying to
build on the ledge again.

Theresa
Old December 15th 04, 04:41 PM
Kreisleriana

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 10:33:53 -0600, "jmcquown"
yodeled:

Karen wrote:
[...]

I have gained great respect for MTM, through this thing, and lost a
lot of respect for Zahn.

Theresa