Speaking of Geese

Old April 8th 06, 08:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Speaking of Geese

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message

Virtually every morning, some dog sees the birds on the lake, and
charges straight down at them like a bat out of hell, and then comes
charging right back up the bank, yowling in terror because he met a
swan instead of some duck.////

That happened with my d*g Bonnie this morning. We were walking along the
river and she flushed a duck onto the water. Next thing I know, she's
running like hell back to me being chased by a very angry swan. She was
yipping along the lines of *MOOOOOOOMMMMMMM - THE BIGBIRDSOUT TO
GETME!!!*. She had a look of pure fear on her face, LOL! That'll teach
her not to chase the water birds!

Helen M

Old April 8th 06, 08:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 19:13:25 +0000 (UTC), "Helen Miles"
yodeled:

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message

Virtually every morning, some dog sees the birds on the lake, and
charges straight down at them like a bat out of hell, and then comes
charging right back up the bank, yowling in terror because he met a
swan instead of some duck.////

That happened with my d*g Bonnie this morning. We were walking along the
river and she flushed a duck onto the water. Next thing I know, she's
running like hell back to me being chased by a very angry swan. She was
yipping along the lines of *MOOOOOOOMMMMMMM - THE BIGBIRDSOUT TO
GETME!!!*. She had a look of pure fear on her face, LOL! That'll teach
her not to chase the water birds!

Helen M

There seems to be something especially unsettling when something you
thought was prey turns around and chases you.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old April 8th 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote in message
ups.com...

Oh, that's too funny. The goose we had would chase you, but only if you
turned your back on him. I think they're minimizing a little when they
said, "a pinch, that's all." It hurts like heck! They don't just pinch,
they grab the skin on the calf of your leg and *twist*. I used to have
bruises!!

Sherry

Yes, that is exactly what they do, they pinch and twist and have serrated
beaks which makes it worse.
Here is a tip that works.
There is no reason to be afraid of geese. They like it if you are afraid
and run off. It makes them laugh ;-)
If a goose approaches you, with beak open and hissing you are probably on
their territory, they don't like it if they don't know you.

If you don't need to be there, just go away. If you do, just stride forward
and grasp the gander behind the head and turn him away from you. Works
every time. He thinks he is braver than you and he found out he isn't.
Only do this if you think you are in trouble and are scared. Geese have a
lot of dignity. They never forget if you treated them badly. They bear
malice.

Tweed

Old April 9th 06, 12:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Well, it was my territory too! :-) He was a yard goose. Stayed in the
front most of the time. This was a long time ago--he was given to my
daughter as a gosling, as a gift (gotta love those grandparents!!).
We got into a few stand-offs but truly I did like him.
Another critter that I just love are banty Roosters. There is no animal
on earth with as much pluck as a banty rooster. I swear, the ones we
had, it didn't matter how big the animal was, that rooster wouldn't
run. He'd draw a line in the dirt and say "Bring it on!"
I am so jealous of you and your fowl. I would love to have some
guineas, geese, ducks, even peafowl. But we have coyotes, and I would
have to keep them penned up. I'm not sure I am healthy enough or strong
enough to take care of them. It is a lot of work.

Sherry

Sherry

Old April 9th 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Karen" wrote in message
This goose has been protecting a ToysRUs store in New Jersey.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sec...rre&id=4063319

I saw footage on the local news just now. Doesn't look TOO mean. Just a
bit persistant. The store is taking it well.

Wild goose chases shoppers at Toys R Us

We have this pair of white geese that have a protective thing about cars in
a part of our neighborhood. I saw the dumb nuts take on a small car. The
male waited until the driver parked it then flew at her when she tried to
get out. The female raised a ruckus and tagged along with the male.
Fortunately, the driver knew them, and just poked an umbrella out the door
and opened it up. She was able to walk to her front door in spite of the
geese. They have a nest near the pond across the road from the area they
are patrolling. Silly geese anyway.

Pam S. even more glad we don't have a house by the pond

Old April 9th 06, 02:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

In article , jmcquown
wrote:

Victor Martinez wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
'watch geese'. Their honk was larger than their bite, although I
won't say a goose bite doesn't hurt. But the premise was, the geese
honking would

When my godson was little, we were at the club and he wanted to go see
the ducks in the pond. So I grabbed his hand and took him near the
pond.
We were looking at the ducks when a rather large goose saw us and
made a beeline for us with very evil intentions. I grabbed my nephew
and ran as fast as I could, with the goose in pursuit!
Scary critters if you ask me, attacking someone much bigger than them.

I guess they are territorial Ducks, on the other hand, don't seem to
care too much. They just sort of quack and waddle away (or get in the water
and paddle out a few feet). I hear swans are much like geese when it comes
to being territorial (and mean).

I understand the requirements have changed, but when I was taking the
Boy Scout First Class test, one had to demonstrate marking trails,
stalking, or classical tracking by footprints and the like. Marking
trails seemed too simple, and tracking, unless you are following an
elephant, tends to be a skill learned very young.

So, I took the stalking option. How did I practice? Near my house was a
city recreational area with a fairly large pond, which hosted a flock
of ducks. I'd carefully crawl up on them, freezing whenever they looked
at me, and go for the mark of a successful stalk.

If I was sufficiently invisible and inaudible, I could goose a duck.
Old April 9th 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

Ducks, on the other hand, don't seem to care too much. They just
sort of quack and waddle away (or get in the water and paddle out a
few feet).

This reminds me of when I lived in an apartment complex with a
swimming pool. Our pool was a pitstop for 3 ducks who would stay with
us for about 3 weeks per year, during their migration. I remember
sitting by the pool one afternoon, watching the ducks, who were also
on the pavement sunning themselves.

A short distance away, the complex manager's cat was watching
intently. He was slowly creeping toward the pool area, but the ducks
didn't seem
to notice him. But when he got within a certain distance, the ducks
decided it was time to move. Nobody was in any big hurry, and none of
them made any noise. They just slowly got up and ambled toward the
pool
I swear, I could almost hear them saying, "sigh... I was really
enjoying that moment in the sun, but here comes that nuisance cat, I
guess we ought to get into the water."

So they all slipped into the pool and swam toward the center in their
casual way, while the cat sat and watched them.

Joyce

Oh, what a life... to have to get up off the warm cement and into a swimming
pool! If that cat was *really* determined, it would learn how to swim and
scare the crap out of those ducks!

Jill

Old April 9th 06, 06:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote in message
jmcquown wrote:

This reminds me of when I lived in an apartment complex with a swimming
pool. Our pool was a pitstop for 3 ducks who would stay with us for about
3 weeks per year, during their migration. I remember sitting by the pool
one afternoon, watching the ducks, who were also on the pavement sunning
themselves.

I live in a highrise and when our outdoor pool is opened in the summer, I
often see duck swimming
there in the morning.

In my undergrad days, I saw lots of ducks and geese on the fountain on
campus.
One student even claimed a duck, or goose, grabbed his papers and took off.
That was his
excuse of not having his homework to turn in. The droppings of the ducks and
geese left
the are quite messy.

Winnie

Old April 9th 06, 09:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

W. Leong wrote:

In my undergrad days, I saw lots of ducks and geese on the fountain on
campus. One student even claimed a duck, or goose, grabbed his papers
and took off. That was his excuse of not having his homework to turn in.

LOL!! I guess dogs weren't allowed in the dorms?

Joyce

Louis will be speaking soon Brian Link Cat health & behaviour 8 April 23rd 05 08:18 PM
Speaking of tails LOL Cat anecdotes 5 August 12th 04 10:00 PM
Speaking of Fleas... jmcquown Cat anecdotes 12 May 27th 04 03:05 AM
The benefit of speaking feline wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX Cat anecdotes 6 September 9th 03 06:08 AM